Self Defense in New York City

This is a discussion on Self Defense in New York City within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My girlfriend and I will be spending a weekend in NYC. What are my options for self defense. The Gun is definitely out. OC is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self Defense in New York City

Self Defense in New York City

My girlfriend and I will be spending a weekend in NYC. What are my options for self defense. The Gun is definitely out. OC is illegal unless purchased and registered in NY. My ASP baton would be illegal as well. Am I correct on all of this? Seems like the only thing I could have would be a flashlight. Anyone else have ideas?
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    You have got the basics down correctly. I lived there for 4 years. The NYPD has a serious uniformed and undercover presence thought the city.

Knives with the intent of self-defense are also illegal (I believe any size) however, a small pocket knife for utility purposes is fine. (don't ask me how they determine which).

Beware some of the big tourist attractions have metal detectors and x-ray (Ellis Island...) Don't take OC spray through.

Study the subway map now so you know where you are going. It is honestly quite safe these days. Don't go places you shouldn't be after dark and stay aware and you should be fine. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or need directions.

I was born and raised in Brooklyn NY. Let me tell you after 46 years there I found out one thing. Forget about any self defense devises (all illegal). If you use a ball point pen in self defense someone will try and call it a weapon because it was used to hurt another person. Best defense is to have a large group of people with you as you travel the streets, specialy the subway..I now live in NC and let me tell ya. My handgun is always on me..NY made me very aware about life and all the wolfs out there..Good luck and have fun.

I too was born and Raised in Brooklyn,NY it doesn't matter what you carry more then likely it will be determined as a Deadly weapon. Good guys can't carry anyrhing there only BGs seams like thats generally it sad but true. NYC wonderful city full of Culture and History Great Museums great shows alot of good people there as well for sure damn good food just be aware always look around you.

Two fellow Brooklynites, WOW ! I grew up in Canarsie and worked in Brownsville in a drug store on Sutter ave. and Tapscott street. LOL

After being born and raised in Brooklyn I decided my only method of self defense was to MOVE out.

Stay with the flow, don't go into any dark alleys and know where you are going and how you are getting there.

Only had a few bad experiences living and working in Brooklyn and the City (Manhattan) but they were in areas that would be considered high risk to begin with. Unless your plans will take you into the seedier places (and they should NOT) you will be fine.

Have fun and enjoy your time in the Big Apple.

bosco

I grew up in NJ and lived in Manhattan for 2 years...... and the only option for self defense are your own hands and your brain.....however you can carry "sporting equipment" so my advice would be to stop by Crosby sports at MSG and buy yourself a nice new hockey stick.....

With that said, if you stay in Manhattan you will be pretty safe. NYC is not what it used to be as Rudy did clean it up a lot. As others have said there is a massive NYPD presence all over the city, especially Manhattan....

Stay out of the fringe areas at night to limit exposure to anything.....

As you are OBVIOUSLY wanting to do the touristy things, you're PROBABLY going to be spending MOST of your time in Midtown Manhattan where you'll be surrounded by thousands of people. There's LITTLE chance of you running into serious trouble.

Take plenty of bucks and enjoy yourselves!

As Captain38 said keep to the busy areas. Mid Town is usually great. Chinatown and it's neighbor Little Italy are not an issue. Tribecca and Chelsea are also fairly safe.

What you do not want to do:
    Check out that cute park at 2:00am
    Be the last ones to leave an attraction as it closes
    Late night at that adorable out of the way restaurant
    Save the huge expense of a parking garage by finding a street away from everyone.
    Keep responses simple with unwelcome advances, "No Thank You"
    Act like typical tourist: 2cameras and a wondering stare

There is so much to do in the safe areas that you need not venture to far afield. Keep in mind that theater tix are very expensive. It can cost $40 to park. You are on vacation so there is no need to eat at chain restaurants. The ones on Restaurant Row (48th and 8th) and the surrounding area are reasonable for the MOST part. The same could be said for Chinatown and Little Italy. ALWAYS check menu prices first.

Two greatt places with a view:
    The midtown Marriott has a floor, 49th I believe, that goes in a circle while you eat or just have a drink.
    The Chart House, need a reservation, is just the other side of the tunnel in NJ. You can eat reasonalably while staring at the NYC skyline.

Enjoy your self and have a good debit card balance.

Quote Originally Posted by boscobeans View Post
    Two fellow Brooklynites, WOW ! I grew up in Canarsie and worked in Brownsville in a drug store on Sutter ave. and Tapscott street. LOL
    Still have a place on Penn Ave and Linden Blvd as I stated in other posts Have been there before and after the Crack wars. Many years ago somebody walked into my office looking to sell a mac 10. Empoyee calls and tells me there is somebody looking to sell the mac 10. Employee asks "What sould I do?" Reply be polite and Say No thanks.

As everybody stated Rudy cleaned up the place. Keep to the main streets. Keep up the SA. Enjoy yourself the City is amazing place to see. Any of the shows are great. Pricey but great.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    For God, Family and Country!

Raised in Park Slope 78 PCT Nice Area worked with my dad in ENY Brownsville area where even the Cops dont like going to calls 75th Pct rough!! What ever you do don't carry too much cash use the Plastic or better yet get some travelers checks.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    NYC is great.....be aware of your surroundings and be thankful you're not in DC.
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I hope I am not taking this thread astray and if so, I apologize. Some others have mentioned canes, I have seen some other threads talk about the pens from Benchmade and Cold Steel. All of these things are obviously created for SD even though to the uninformed, they do not appear to be. Never been to NYC and don't have a clue what the laws are so here is my question. If a baton and OC are illegal, would other items like the canes and tactical pens be considered illegal in hindsight if a person used them in an SD scenario once their true purpose was discovered?

VIP Member
    Lived in NY for 24 years, rode the subway daily for several years usually at odd hours, from the North Bronx into Brooklyn. It saddens me to say that the only gratuitous violence I ever witnessed was perpetrated by cops, and it makes me happy to say I was never the victim of anything.

Here's the deal though. The locals know where they shouldn't go. Sometimes, it is little more than not crossing a street. The locals know the deserted spots on the subway system to be avoided. The locals won't accidentally get on the wrong subway train and then have to change in a bad area.

Tourists, and guys like me who haven't lived there in years now, don't know the ins and outs.

Stay in mid-town tourist areas and be careful about being on the street after dark (or even in the daytime). If suddenly it appears there aren't many others around get back where there are people.

It has been said that NYC has been cleaned up. Perhaps, compared to what it was like in the 1960s under Mayors Wagner and Lindsay (ick), but it is still a large city with a large underclass. Be cautious.

As mentioned, just be aware. I'm in the city every week or so, and although I have to leave my carry piece home, it's really not that bad.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links