Did I overreact?

This is a discussion on Did I overreact? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't see anything unusual about shoveling snow at 2AM. It's gotta get done sometime. I see no overreaction in OP's actions. As long as ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I overreact?

I don't see anything unusual about shoveling snow at 2AM. It's gotta get done sometime. I see no overreaction in OP's actions. As long as the pistola stays in the pocket, no one is the wiser...

In the specified scenario, I'd be wary and on alert too. And I'd be thinking about retreat back to the house as a first resort at the first sign of danger--if at all possible.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sounds OK to me.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Yes, possibly you under reacted. I would have dropped immediately upon siting of said undercover LEO and performed the "Snow Angel" dance.
    ...T. Ray

I don't think you over-reacted at all. Over-reacting would have been to draw your firearm. That would have been over-reacting, and it would have cost you. All you did was pay attention, keep situationally aware and get a friendly wave from a local LEO. It was all good.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

In case you haven't already seen this thread, you have your answer.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Sounds good on both ends.

My LEO cousin, always had unmarked cars driving past my home when I was widowed. It was nice to know I was looked after. He probably figured you knew something was up, and it was a friendly wave to let you know he is your ally.

I think it was a nice job on both ends.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by bigiceman View Post
    In case you haven't already seen this thread, you have your answer.
    Ya, thats an interesting link. I'm always paranoid I'm a little vulnerable when shoveling the drive. Busy on a task, tends to be darker that time of year no matter what time you are doing the task.

Lots of outdoor lights and armed. In my mind, always figure I would use the shovel if startled, get some space, draw and fire.

I'm not sure if it was LEO, but I'm 95% sure. Also, I had the odd feeling it was not me drawing the attention. That made me more paranoid, as I wondered what he was looking for.

I think he may have had a chuckle (or maybe a nervous smile) the way I backed up.

Call 911, not so much. Non emergency line to see if there is an officer patrolling the area, yeah buddy.

Anybody here ever hear of police impersonators?

Anybody here ever hear of people casing neighborhoods looking to see what a homeowners schedule is?

Just because he turned on the dope light and waved does not make him a LEO unless it was a marked car, you could fully see the uniform, computer, radio...

Better safe that surprised.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Think he was checking your technique...Pistol in pocket keeps me warm too.
    "You don't have a soul, you are a soul. You have a body." CS Lewis

S&W .41 Mag - Colt DS - Ruger Single Six - Ruger Security Six - Buckmark-Beretta 21A - S&W 351PD 22 Mag- Spfld XD 9mm -- Plenty Of Long Guns--- Dry Powder and RCBS.

Administrator
    I dont fault your actions on scene at all. But an over reaction? Yeah, probably. It startled you enough to start a thread about about it. The whole thing seems a bit of a non issue to me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

If I were you, I’d be glad they are patrolling your neighborhood.

Around here, I had to file a police report of teen age kids roaming the streets at 4 AM, and they still did nothing.

Then a vacant house was broken into just two block over, and now they are patrolling.

As to over reacting. No I don’t think the LEO or you over reacted.

When I’m working outside I always exit the house via the garage, and I leave the garage door open.

That way I can get to my tools, and light switches, and if something should go aria, I have a quick entry to the house, while the big door is closing.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatDane View Post
    And that's the same city as the guy who got kidnapped/robbed while shoveling snow....
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Northern Piedmont of Va. & Middle of Nowhere, W.Va.
    Exactly right. You didn't draw, but you were observant and alert. The cop obviously thought so, too.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Out shoveling snow last night, say 2AM. I'm currently unemployed. I knew I would be groggy in the morning, but wanted to get the snow off for so my wife could get out of the drive in the morning. My wife was in sleeping. As a precaution I put my revolver in my coat pocket and did not take keys outside.

I have a Schlage key pad lock and a garage door that you can open via a key pad.

I'm busy shoveling, and a few cars roll by. NBD, there is a lot of snow, people are driving slowly. Plus 2AM, bars closing. Then I notice a car drive by that had just driven by. I keep shoveling. Now I notice the car coming by for another pass. I'm on full alert. Put my hand in my coat pocket (where the revolver is) and walk backwards to my house.

Person in the car turns on his interior lights, and waves. Turns out to be an unmarked police car.

I don't know what that was all about, but it was interesting. I finished up my drive.

I considered that he may have been suspicious of me, with all doors closed, interior lights off (front poarch light is always on) shoveling my drive so late. There may have been something else going on. IDK.

So the querstion, did I overreact? What do you think was going on? Do you think I should call my local PD?
    "So the querstion, did I overreact?" By putting your hand in your pocket? No

"What do you think was going on?" You were shoveling snow at 2am in front of a dark house at the same time bars are letting out, according to your post. If this was a LEO, I think he was just doing his job, I'd have done the same.

"Do you think I should call my local PD?" I can't find anything in this to even consider calling the local PD about.

I agree with SIXTO, it's a non issue.

I will add one note on something I did find odd, you state "Person in the car turns on his interior lights, and waves. Turns out to be an unmarked police car." I won't speak for other LEOs/former LEOs on here, but that isn't an SOP, or something myself or any other LEO I know of would do. If I saw something suspicious, which it seems he might have, I used my Alley lights, or if in an umarked car used my spot light, and if I didn't have a spot light I used my flashlight to shine on the person(s) or activity to see what was going on. Turning on my interior light just makes me a good target, as it did him because you state you could see in his car well enough to make out a cage.

Why would he turn on his interior light to identify and show himself to someone else standing in the semi-dark at 2am? That's the only issue I see here, which has nothing to do with what you say you did.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links