Did I overreact?

This is a discussion on Did I overreact? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Shoveling snow at 2AM isn't unusual for a shift worker....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Did I overreact?

Shoveling snow at 2AM isn't unusual for a shift worker.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Shoveling snow at 2AM isn't unusual for a shift worker.
    That is true no doubt, but unless he was friend or family, how would a LEO who happened to be passing through know what shift anyone on that street works?

I'm not saying it's wrong, just that a person standing in front of a dark house at 2am is a little suspicious, and maybe the LEO just circled to confirm "Oh, he is just shoveling snow, he must have just got off work, or is getting ready to leave for work............"

Still not sure about that interior light thing though

Quote Originally Posted by Devone6 View Post
    Still not sure about that interior light thing though
    Could be the LEO was doing it to gauge a reaction.

I'm not LEO, some of you are (so interesting to hear your thoughts).

Not sure if I should be worried about a scam (one of the reasons for the post). It did look like LEO, and the car did look to have a cage in back.

I had the feeling (after the fact because of the grin on the driver's face) I had not been the reason for the circling. I may not have even been noticed until I obviously reacted to the same car circling in a 3 to 5 minute period.

Thinking about it, about 2 months ago I had called the police because a door had been pushed in at a house next door that an owner had walked away from. Maybe the PD has been patroling the area since and I did not know.

VIP Member
    I thought once I was going to be busted for picking up trash on a dirt road next to the National Forrest by the way a LEO came barreling up to check me out.
    Turned out he was looking for an escaped felon and I did match the description,
    he left just as fast.
    So no one knows what they may be doing and should just be vigilant, do your thing, and let them do theirs; and don't get too upset about it.

Sounds like it was LE just doing a good watch instead of just passing by and ignoring you and the possability that you were not the home owner.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I don't think you over reacted at all. Heck, I think you handled it just right.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I think you did exactly right. I would have added one thing - when he lit up to show you he was a good guy, I would have very demonstrably relaxed and clearly acknowledged him with a good nod or friendly wave. It can never hurt.

I'm guessing he realized after seeing shoveling on several passes that the guy must own the home, and then that he has spooked the guy and thought he'd be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Out shoveling snow last night, say 2AM. I'm currently unemployed. I knew I would be groggy in the morning, but wanted to get the snow off for so my wife could get out of the drive in the morning. My wife was in sleeping. As a precaution I put my revolver in my coat pocket and did not take keys outside.

I have a Schlage key pad lock and a garage door that you can open via a key pad.

I'm busy shoveling, and a few cars roll by. NBD, there is a lot of snow, people are driving slowly. Plus 2AM, bars closing. Then I notice a car drive by that had just driven by. I keep shoveling. Now I notice the car coming by for another pass. I'm on full alert. Put my hand in my coat pocket (where the revolver is) and walk backwards to my house.

Person in the car turns on his interior lights, and waves. Turns out to be an unmarked police car.

I don't know what that was all about, but it was interesting. I finished up my drive.

I considered that he may have been suspicious of me, with all doors closed, interior lights off (front poarch light is always on) shoveling my drive so late. There may have been something else going on. IDK.

So the querstion, did I overreact? What do you think was going on? Do you think I should call my local PD?
    I don't live in snow area, but my brother lives in Nevada, a state that's open 24 hours. Even he thought it was weird that you were shoveling snow at 2 am. Your intentions were good, but for all the cops knew, you were a lookout for some big time operation. It would have gotten my attention too. Maybe you should be careful when you decide to shovel snow. You have a right to do it, but it's going to bring attention if the police should show up.
    "[A]rms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property. . . Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."

- Thomas Paine, Thoughts On Defensive War, 1775

Quote Originally Posted by calmp9 View Post
    Maybe you should be careful when you shovel snow. You have a right to do it, but it's going to bring attention if the police should show up.
    So what, why does anyone have to be careful when they do something legal. If he wants to go out and shovel in a pink flamingo suit at 3am it's his home and castle.

By the way if anyone dresses this way when shoveling please post pics.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

I used to live in a small city completely surrounded by the city of Portland (we/they refused to be annexed). We had full time police coverage (1 car at all times) for 320 homes. One night I was up at 3:00 am cleaning up before a party (I had taken the next day off at work), and the officer stopped by and knocked, making sure it was really me in there. He said he was used to my normal schedule of when the lights went out, and this was unusual. He apologized for the interruption and went back on his way. I was glad he was paying that kind of attention. I guess with that small of a patrol area, you get to know things.

As far as the OP's reaction, I don't see it as unreasonable at all.

Regards,
    Michael

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links