Did I overreact?

Did I overreact?

This is a discussion on Did I overreact? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Out shoveling snow last night, say 2AM. I'm currently unemployed. I knew I would be groggy in the morning, but wanted to get the snow ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I overreact?

Did I overreact?

Out shoveling snow last night, say 2AM. I'm currently unemployed. I knew I would be groggy in the morning, but wanted to get the snow off for so my wife could get out of the drive in the morning. My wife was in sleeping. As a precaution I put my revolver in my coat pocket and did not take keys outside.

I have a Schlage key pad lock and a garage door that you can open via a key pad.

I'm busy shoveling, and a few cars roll by. NBD, there is a lot of snow, people are driving slowly. Plus 2AM, bars closing. Then I notice a car drive by that had just driven by. I keep shoveling. Now I notice the car coming by for another pass. I'm on full alert. Put my hand in my coat pocket (where the revolver is) and walk backwards to my house.

Person in the car turns on his interior lights, and waves. Turns out to be an unmarked police car.

I don't know what that was all about, but it was interesting. I finished up my drive.

I considered that he may have been suspicious of me, with all doors closed, interior lights off (front poarch light is always on) shoveling my drive so late. There may have been something else going on. IDK.

So the querstion, did I overreact? What do you think was going on? Do you think I should call my local PD?

Are you sure it was LEO? Sure he was suspicious of you out at 2am, maybe he was going by a couple times to a) make sure you were legit, and b) to protect you that late at night. However, I think you did the right thing. I don't think I would have done any different.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Senior Moderator
    Call the cops for what? A guy driving back and forth?

Shoveling snow at 2 AM.

I'd be checking you out too...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Maybe he was checking something out who knows. He turned on his light because he probably figured he may have spooked you a bit driving by. Seems he did, but all is well yes?
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I'd be alert, and glad that the cops were in the neighborhood. Sounds like you were alert and took several precautions.

Stay armed...even in something called snow(?)...stay safe!

Snow????? I'm going to have to look that up on the iNet.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Call the cops for what?...
    Because...

Quote Originally Posted by ChiWeiSz View Post
    Are you sure it was LEO?...
    It was an unmarked car and could have been a guy in a security guard outfit for all I know. Did appear to have a cage (or what ever is the official term) in back.

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I'd be alert, and glad that the cops were in the neighborhood. Sounds like you were alert and took several precautions.

Stay armed...even in something called snow(?)...stay safe!

Snow????? I'm going to have to look that up on the iNet.
    Don't bother, it is one of these legends, people from up North try to impress us with.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    Nice copper giving you the well lit wave to allay your concerns.

I don't think you over reacted at all but there's really no need to call the cop shop.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    i guess it is a little odd to see someone shoveling snow at 2 am, but how did he know you weren't about to go to work? when i was in college, i worked as a stock boy for office max...there were several times we were there at 3 or 4 am...
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

I do not think that you overreacted at all. You were just being careful.

Ron
    Shine on...
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 9 Shield
    Taurus Raging Bull .454 Casull
    S&W M&P15 Sport;
    Mossberg 590A1

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Over react how??? What did you do but notice the same car drive by. Call the PD about what?? To thank them for looking out for you?

Rick

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you did fine. I would be glad the LEO 1. cruised by a few times to ake sure you were legit. 2. Turned on the interior light to let you know he was not a potential threat.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sounds normal where I live. No problem...BUTyou right to keep an eye out. Never hurts to be safe

Hey, when I lived in Michigan and it was calling for a foot plus of snow, I use to go out several times at night to shovel the snow so It would be easier to do in smaller amounts
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    If it WAS a cop, he was watching you... man, I hate it when the BG's sneak into my driveway in the middle of the night and shovel it! Okay, but he probably was checking to make sure you were legit. Presuming he was a cop (did the car seem the right type? Was it newer?).

No, you didn't over react. No need to make a call, whether it was them or not. Either it was (and they won't know) or it wasn't, and you have no plate, and they've done nothing but drive the street.

And for those of you down in Fla., ease up on the snow jokes already! Hey, Winter doesn't even start until next week. I swear, we may have to come down there and steal some of your sunshine! (Scuba off the coast while we're at it, too! ). RetSupt99, don't bother looking it up. I'll bring you a couple coolers full.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links