When you carry, are you chambered? Safety on? - Page 3

When you carry, are you chambered? Safety on?

This is a discussion on When you carry, are you chambered? Safety on? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For my glock 26 - just as is w/round in chamber for FN Five-seveN - round inchamber, safety off if carried, safety on if in ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: When you carry, are you chambered? Safety on?

For my glock 26 - just as is w/round in chamber
    for FN Five-seveN - round inchamber, safety off if carried, safety on if in house (children)
    Kimber 1911 - cocked and locked at all times

Any firearm I carry is hot with one in the chamber, safety on if it has one.

thanks for all the responses. it seems this is a personal difference and a gun safety difference.

I know that's why many people choose weapons that do not have the standard safety "latch/switch", that way there is one less thing to worry about.

ready to rock
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Glocks-round in chamber
    1911-condition one

The only 100% reliable safety is safe gun-handling all the time.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Welcome Mr.P, I'm in Pensacola. Am interested in the FN also. Please give us a report on how it functions. Don't believe that I've heard of anybody else carrying one. There is a couple for sale in the local gunshop with 3,20rd mags for $900ish. Again welcome to the forum. ---------

VIP Member
    Approximate time for BG to cross 21 feet = 1.5 seconds
    Approximate time for average person to draw and fire 1 shot when they know the BG is coming = 1.5 seconds

Are there people who are faster than that? You bet. Are a lot of them members of this forum? You bet. Is 1.5 seconds about my average draw and fire time from typical street concealment? You bet.

So I carry with one in the chamber. On a 1911 I engage the external safety. I also carry a Sig so I use the decock lever to drop the hammer. Revolvers are also fully loaded.

-Scott-

When I'm carrying, it's a round in the chamber and full mags...........with all the weapons I own
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

probably more than you asked for

On my person - ALWAYS one in the chamber (otherwise it is only an impact weapon). Not on my person (between the mattresses when I sleep or in the nightstand) - none in the chamber. No manual safety on any of my handguns. No manual decocker on any of my guns.

My criteria for carry:
    (1) consistent from first to last trigger squeeze.
    (2) no de-cockers (see (1))
    (2) No manually actuated external safeties.
    (3) ambi mag release and ambi slide release if possible
    (4) some type of method to safely re-holster, e.g., external hammer a la Sig or H&K so that I can have my thumb over hammer when re-holstering OR grip type safety a la XD (where I can reholster w/ my hand off the grip safety).

My criteria for a home SD gun: all of the above except for (4)

Trigger actions: DAO or a DAO variant (DAK, LEM, LDA). I've read somewhere about AD/ND during stressful situations. What I remember is that longer trigger pull and heavier trigger pull both helped remedy these situations by giving the operator feedback. They did not have to both be there, but if both were there, it was better by giving more feedback.

I have a H&K P2000 LEM in 40 S&W for main carry. It meets all of my requirements. The LEM trigger has longer trigger travel for first shot, but not longer and heavy like a true DAO. It has what I consider a short reset. Way better than a traditional DAO.

I have just ordered 2 Walther P99 DAO / P990 in 9mm for the house. Has everything but (4) and possibly ambi slide release. Great prices at CDNN.

Why my criteria? I want to point, squeeze, bang when I need to (during high stress when fine motor skills go Tango Uniform). I want to be able to safely reholster in a stressful situation. I want an easy / consistent / minimal manual of arms. If possible, I want the firearm to be ambi (What if I lose the use of my right arm at any time, how will I shoot/reload/release mag/release slide/etc. then?)

Why the DAO at the house? My wife does not share the same joy I do for firearms / shooting. Since she does not, I want the easiest to use w/ the most feedback to keep from an AD/ND in the house if she uses it for SD.

Oh yeah. I never do any tweaking to a gun save for night sites.

Nothing against a C&L 1911. I like them. Shot them in the Marines. I am just trying to be pragmatic and balance the needs for my household wrt the training of all the people in my household.

DAO...one in chamber unless ready to clean/inspect. No safety on the gun, just the one in my head...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

I always carry loaded, with the manual safety deactivated. In any personal defense scenario, speed is a key factor. If my pistol isn't ready to fire when I draw, it's basically nothing more than a scary looking paper weight.

When I began to carry, I kept the safety on until I became comfortable with the concept of putting a loaded gun down my pants. But drawing from IWB with an overshirt on isn't exactly the fastest method, particularly with a snag or some similar problem.

I've heard that in some cases attackers have disarmed victims and then couldn't figure out how to deactivate the manual safety, thus allowing the victim to flee. I'd rather work to prevent such a scenario from occuring in the first place, and part of that work includes being ready in a split second to counter-attack against a violent aggressor.
    SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Proud member NRA, GOA, VCDL

Condition 1. If I need my gun now, I need it NOW. Not 2 seconds from now.

I'd never walk into a burning building without making sure my hoseline is bled of air and the pattern from the tip is what I want. Being face to face with the fire and waiting 2 seconds for water can kill you. Same thing goes for my firearms...
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar

Why?

Is it that I keep reading and hearing in gun forums and in the paper and on TV News programs of people who keep shooting themselves and many others while having their carry gun with a round in battery and cocked?

Also I have seen pictures that people have posted in gun forums of their wounds laying in hospital beds recovering from having shot themselves with mostly loaded Glocks.

I just wonder if giving everyone the same general answer to the question of should they carry cocked and locked...(Yeah thats the way I do it and it should be the way you do it).. is really always the correct answer?

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyGunner
    Is it that I keep reading and hearing in gun forums and in the paper and on TV News programs of people who keep shooting themselves and many others while having their carry gun with a round in battery and cocked?

Also I have seen pictures that people have posted in gun forums of their wounds laying in hospital beds recovering from having shot themselves with mostly loaded Glocks.

I just wonder if giving everyone the same general answer to the question of should they carry cocked and locked...(Yeah thats the way I do it and it should be the way you do it).. is really always the correct answer?
    The correct answer is have enough training and practice to handle whatever firearm safety, yet remember it is a deadly tool. Everyone who shot themselves broke the rule, never point a gun at something you are not willing to destroy.

Good point Happy, but the title of the thread was how do you carry, not how should I carry. Either way though, it's good to get it out there like you said. Proper training is the key to safely carrying under any condition.
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links