When you carry, are you chambered? Safety on?

This is a discussion on When you carry, are you chambered? Safety on? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why you already have obtained two stars and I only one. Being politically correct means a lot in this forum....

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: When you carry, are you chambered? Safety on?

Membership Revoked Array HappyGunner's Avatar

Wink I guess thats

Why you already have obtained two stars and I only one.

Being politically correct means a lot in this forum.

2. Remove Ads

XD9
    10 more posts and you will have 2 stars also. Keep posting!!
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyGunner
    Why you already have obtained two stars and I only one.

Being politically correct means a lot in this forum.
    The stars are based on your number of posts. He has more posts, and therefore has more stars.

I think the two-star mark is 50 posts.

Political correctness has nothing to do with it, though.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by HappyGunner
    Is it that I keep reading and hearing in gun forums and in the paper and on TV News programs of people who keep shooting themselves and many others while having their carry gun with a round in battery and cocked?

Also I have seen pictures that people have posted in gun forums of their wounds laying in hospital beds recovering from having shot themselves with mostly loaded Glocks.
    Well, I posted earlier about what I use and why I use it. AD/ND can and do happen when re-holstering and getting something caught inside the trigger guard.

NDs can happen where there is not proper trigger disclipine when the gun is out of the holster.

As stated, I like a gun where I can reholster safely. W/ a grip safety a la XD or an external hammer al a sig or H&K. Both ways I can re-holster while minimizing risk of AD/ND. I like a gun w/ a DAO like trigger action to lower risk of ND while being good enough for me for SD. I accept true DAO for my perceived benefits for my wife who does not train.

It is up to the responsible firearms owner to train for using their firearms. IMO, a gun like a glock requires attention to detail and training when re-holstering because there is no manual safety, no grip safety and no external hammer. That is training someone should be doing should they choose a glock like gun. No way around that.

Me personally, I'd rather choose the weapon which minimizes my training requirements and then overtrain in the minimal requirements.

My strategy is to KISS wrt the manual of arms and then overtrain in the limited functionality that I have to be effective/efficient at.

Goes w/out saying, but I'll say it anyway. ... A high quality holster is a necessary but not sufficient condition for safe re-holstering a firearm.

It is not the firearm. It is the user and his/her training on safely/effectively/efficiently using the firearm with it's specific manual of arms. There are no shortcuts. Just decisions on what type of firearm to use and then proper training on how to use it safely/effectively/effciently (in that specific order!)

<<<< Confirmed post whore!
    Pax
    Tulsa, OK

Quote Originally Posted by WorldPax
    <<<< Confirmed post whore!
    ++PostCount for me.

because it is more efficient than PostCount++

Cocked and locked.
    Last edited by IndianaDean; February 6th, 2006 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WorldPax
    Good point Happy, but the title of the thread was how do you carry, not how should I carry. Either way though, it's good to get it out there like you said. Proper training is the key to safely carrying under any condition.

Exactly. I am almost certain how I will carry and I made that clear, if and when I choose to carry. I was honestly just curios about others opinions. And there are different responses for home/sleeping and carry.

I used to not carry with one in the "pipe" until I met and talked to a local cop. He was at a stoplight one night- off duty, a guy came up to his car with a gun to the window attempting to rob him. He said let me get my wallet, moved slow, drew his weapon pointed it at the guy's face. Basically told him if you fire I fire and was ready to go.

Got me thinking. I wouldn't be able to chamber a round if that situation arose, I need it to be ready NOW.

So I keep one always in the chamber.

Glock 23 is my carry piece with 2 extra mags , and nightstand gun with 8 more mags in a discrete location ready. The Glock 19 is ready as well with 10 mags loaded. All with Ranger SXT
    Mighty HD

Chambered and always loaded!

Chambered is the way to go as so many point out...and certainly good training and safety awareness are soooo important. Remember...this is a loaded weapon...do not be casual or careless when you handle or holster your weapon (where most NDs seem to occur).

Get a good holster that properly fits the gun...train and practice.

Stay loaded and be prepared...now isn't this CCW thing really easy?

New Member Array justin_stuart_21's Avatar
    Bags,

I just turned 21 (now legal to buy a handgun of course) and just picked up my gun about a month ago due to being deployed and for the first few weeks I did not carry with one in the chamber. I read lots of posts and have been carrying with a round in the chamber for over a week and a half and aside from when I am not in uniform or going onto post I carry and have not had any trouble yet. It is all about yoru self confidence and how sure you are of your firearm and it's safety features (of course YOU are the 1st safety). I carry a SIG 226 .357 with 4 safties and it has no safe or fire, just a de-cocking lever. It actually gives me more piece of mind knowing that I can shoot with one hand should the need arise. Take the advice of people on here, I did and it worked out for the best, just make sure you get a good holster that covers the trigger, I use the CTAC holster and have had no issues to date.

Well, I carry two different weapons.
    My Glock one in the pipe and finger off. Plus it's holstered.
    92F one in the pipe and the safety off. First round is DA.

Regarding shooting themselves with Glocks. The real problem people forget is to keep their finger off the trigger. We must remember that the biggest safety is what's between our ears.
    Dave

“The highest obligation and privilege of citizenship is that of bearing arms”. General George Patton—US Army

Vis et Veneratio

"So this is how democracy dies: to thunderous applause." Actress Natalie Portman as Padme in Star Wars Revenge of the Sith

Thanks for the welcome. I carry glock in summer cause I'm not a big guy, in winter I can very with jackets. The FN Five-seven is great, but a large gun. weighs less than my Kimber 1911 though. The ammo is costly, the ss192 was selling for $75.00+ per box of 50. Now hornady is offering a slower round (1650fps) v-max its about 25.00 per box. With the fact that Panama City lost its only indoor range due to the FFL being arrested for interstate mail fraud I have not been out to shoot the 57. The closest outdoor range is 1.5 hours drive away from me. As soon as I get to the range I will let you know how it shoots.
    As for the gun, it's got a good grip from the "bumps" all over the grip area, bit its big. Interesting thing is there is no feed ramp for the ammo, it goes into the barrel straight from the mag. Still all in all, 21 rounds in the gun, and 20 more each spare mag, at 2050 fps for the rounds its plenty powerful for most folks needs.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    1911:
    Condition 0.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Kahr - round chambered, no manual safety on gun.

BHP - condition 1 (round chambered, hammer cocked, w/ manual safety engaged)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links