When you carry, are you chambered? Safety on?

This is a discussion on When you carry, are you chambered? Safety on? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I took the NRA advanced course, my instructor who is also a LEO, demonstrated with me how carrying without one in the chamber could ...

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: When you carry, are you chambered? Safety on?

When I took the NRA advanced course, my instructor who is also a LEO, demonstrated with me how carrying without one in the chamber could be fatal. He stood 20 feet away. I had a Glock 17 with a snap cap in the magazine in a holster. He told me when he was going to run at me, and I was to draw the Glock and chamber it to fire before he reached me. I was able to draw but he was on me before I could bring the gun up chambered. His bottom line was, if you're not going to carry with one in the chamber, you're wasting your time even carrying.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ready2Fire
    ... My carry guns include: Glock 23, Glock 33, Glock 29, Sig P229 DAK SAS, Sig P239 DAK SAS, H&K P2000SK, Springfield XD-40, and a North American Arms Guardian, none of which have safeties.
    Offtopic question, if the H&K P2000SK is LEM, how does the LEM trigger feel against the DAK trigger.

you have to be ready

why carry if your not ready to go if you blink your dead when i was in the army 4th ID S-3 I pulled pay roll guard most of the time there was a LT that would not work with me because i was ready to go hammer down he told me to let them have the money and i told him no sir that's not how i was trained. i was 11B. he was'nt i've got my CIB he did'nt and that's the way i carry to this day if you dont do what has to be done you'll just get someone or yourself hurt or dead but that's just me

the .380 is cocked and locked and the 10mm is ready on for the first shot which is DAO

SA Champion round chambered cocked & locked, Always.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Bags: 79 replies so far indicate a unanimous preference for 1 in the pipe.

I wonder if you expected so one-sided a set of replies... I was somewhat surprised.

All,
    I was up till midnight reading through all the posts here.
    Like I said to my friend and basic pistol instructor, "I'm just not there yet."
    All my life long gun safety teaching tells me to not carry a loaded gun. So I carry with a full clip but none in the chamber.
    I am, after all, new to CC. My reference is to be able to carry while archery hunting with my boys in Mountain Lion territory. The reason for CC, is that Colorado Dept. Wildlife Wardens do not look kindly on a person archery hunting with a firearm. (My argument is, I'm not hunting with the gun. I'm hunting with my bow, I'm protecting myself with my gun.) I figure that what the warden doesn't see, can't become an issue. Otherwise, I'll let the judge decide. At least my Boys & I will be able to return home (With or without elk steak.)

All this to say, I totally appreciate all your opinions and expect to "get there" in time. I have spoken with my instructor in the past about some advanced training for CC so can feel a little more comfortable carrying in the way my 1911 "wants" to be carried, chambered, cocked & locked. Until then, I am exploring the techniques & practices of safe CC. I am trying different holsters and carrying options and learning from more experienced people like yourselves. I also carry as often as I can just to get used to the feel of a gun on my person.
    I still get the heebie-jeebies at the thought of disobeying my father's advice on how to handle a firearm. I'm still a safety nut I guess, and am trying to pass as much of that fatherly advice to my kids as possible.
    I'd just hate to undo everything I taught them by shooting myself one day. I'd rather be trained to do what I need to do in providing safety for my family BEFORE I take actions I'm not comfortable with or trained for.
    Know what I mean?

So, you can (for now) put me down for full mag. empty pipe (& pray I don’t need more readiness until trained.)

After all:
    He makes my feet like hinds' feet, And sets me upon my high places.
    He trains my hands for battle, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. -David
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Assistant Administrator
    Elk - despite all the posts and recommendations, I doubt that any of us would wish another to carry in a condition we were not proficient or happy with. You mention you carry as often as you can and that is good - let the gun be a common part of your dress. Add to that plenty of handling practice and shooting too.

Try also with empty gun, to practice draw and sweeping of safety as if you were con #1 - and checking safety on re-holstering. Another coupla months or so - you may wonder why it was a problem.

So - for me anyways - not a case of trying to force the issue, more a hope that you will over time manage to achieve this. Last thing we'd want is for you to run before happy with walking, and go shoot something you shouldn't (foot?) LOL!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Elk, as long as you're only carrying concealed as a WOODS gun, your way ought to be just fine. But on the street, things happen a lot faster than the woods, unless you get caught in a near ambush run by pros. Then it wouldn't matter-- condition 3 or condition 1 all you can do is....die.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

VIP Member
    In the woods I'm more comfortable with a fully loaded revolver of substantial power. On the street things can happen at light speed. I prefer an open top IWB or OWB with a round in the chamber. The Tacoma PD tested scores of handguns and felt the 1911 Kimbers were safer than all the others, even with the thumb safety off. Nevertheless I carry hot, cocked, and locked. I wipe the safety off during the initial phase of the draw, making sure the thumb carries through under the safety. The main caveat is keeping the finger out of the trigger guard until the pistol is in alignment. The holster should cover the triggerguard and allow one handed re-holstering. Holster carefully. Never drop the hammer with the decocker on a live round unless the gun is pointed at a safe bag or direction. Never drop the hammer of a 1911 on a live round, period. One of the instructors reports that a student tried, one handed, to use the thumb of his gun hand to control the hammer as he dropped on a live FMJ. The torque of the hammer caused the gun to slant as the hammer slipped out of his control and sent a round through his leg. In fact, never let the hammer of a 1911 catch the sear in the half cock notch. It'll wreck the sear, unless you don't mind a gritty trigger. Proper gun etiquette during any handling will avoid regret, but loading, unloading, decocking, or manipulating anything under spring tension can be dangerous, especially in a confined space like a car. We know of many ND's in police locker rooms and training sessions that the media hasn't sensationalized.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Thanks Chris, That is what I am looking for, sound advice.

And yes, up till lately, I only thought and carried for the woods.
    That is why I am here now. Not looking to be a hero or anything like that, except in the case of protecting my family.
    You guys are right (exsoldier, Gunthorp,) things happen fast and I know I am not up to that kind of response. So I figure I will have to stay out of trouble & train for when trouble comes to me and hope I am ready when/if it comes.
    Ya know, that half cocked point on my 1911 was confusing to me when I first read about it in the manual (yah I read the manual.) My Grandfather's old Winchester .32 Special (now mine) has a half cocked hammer position that is (I am told) the safety position. Kinda messes with my mind, and habits.

Thanks guys.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

VIP Member
    When I carry any one of my weapons, there is a round chambered and safety "on" if it is equipped with a safety device, regardless if it's frame, slide or trigger guard (Steyrs) mounted. I constantly train with a firearm's manual safety if so equipped so "off-safeing" a gun becomes second nature.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

56 yr old & carry 24-7. 1911 cocked & locked. Yes safety on. When it comes out my grip motion thumbs safety off & index finger points at target of threat. If it is needed the bang switch is both accessable & ready.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

HK USP live one in the pipe, hammer down in DA, second one is SA.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

sgb
    1911, chamber hot/hammer cocked and safety locked.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Links