A brick house...

This is a discussion on A brick house... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm moving my family into a new house, a brick house. we've always lived in regular aluminum siding houses or apartments, cheap wood construction (not ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A brick house...

A brick house...

I'm moving my family into a new house, a brick house. we've always lived in regular aluminum siding houses or apartments, cheap wood construction (not the good old-fashioned wood construction)... How much more 'protection' would the bricks offer my neighbors if I were to use a 00buck in a shotgun and miss the BG and have it hit an exterior wall? Would they even slow down the projectiles? How about for my JHP 124 or 147 gr. 9mm? I was only wondering, and getting an answer won't really affect anything except finish my ponderings... I'm not looking to perform any 'live tests'! (and I haven't got access to large open back yards for tests). Thanks to all.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Pistols usually wont go though, buckshot usually wont go through, small caliber rifles usually wont go through, high powered rifles with heavy bullets usually have no problem. Several shots with a high powered rifle will bust the brick to the point that it will cease to be.

A machine gun will eat common brick up.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Pistols usually wont go though, buckshot usually wont go through, small caliber rifles usually wont go through, high powered rifles with heavy bullets usually have no problem. Several shots with a high powered rifle will bust the brick to the point that it will cease to be.

A machine gun will eat common brick up.
    +1 Any thing less than .30 cal AP and your good. Most bricks will even stop one or two rounds of 7.62 fmj before the turn to dust.

As to buckshot or 9mm you're 99.99999% safe.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

what about 000 buck mine is loaded with that, my house is cinder block.

although I hear #4 is better for home.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

TOF
    Bricks and block slow projectiles down considerably but don't forget you have doors and windows. They don't provide much protection.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Nothing to worry about just stay clear off windows /doors JUST
    MY .02
    PS sorry too slow TOF Beat me to it

Actually, I wouldn't count on brick veneer to totally stop anything from going outside the home, but it would definitely slow it down. You're counting on the quality of construction and contractor to do things correctly such as bonding joints and wall ties and correct mortar mixture. I've seen brick homes that looked like they were held together with sand, and those that looked like they were poured solid. I've seen wall ties installed every six courses, and those installed whenever they thought about it. I'm just saying.

First off, thanks for so many FAST replies! I usually let a thread set a day before I come back looking for any replies, but I noticed there were already four replies in the first half hour!

Secondly... concerning the mention of #4 ammo...
    THREAD DRIFT!!! but hey it's my thread...
    This is an article my wife's uncle forwarded my attention to after I bought a HD shotgun. It nominates the use of #1 Buck, but I couldn't find any at the stores, that's why I bought 00.

-----
    This is from a discussion about what shot is good to use. See if this helps or just muddies the water more.

From Firearms Tactical Institute:

"Birdshot, because of its small size, does not have the mass and sectional density to penetrate deeply enough to reliably reach and damage critical blood distribution organs. Although birdshot can destroy a great volume of tissue at close range, the permanent crush cavity is usually less than 6 inches deep, and this is not deep enough to reliably include the heart or great blood vessels of the abdomen. A gruesome, shallow wound in the torso does not guarantee a quick stop, especially if the bad guy is chemically intoxicated or psychotic. If the tissue crushed by the pellets does not include a vital cardiovascular structure there's no reason for it to be an effective wound."

Very good article, link is here: Shotgun Home Defense Ammunition, .357 SIG -- A Solution in Search of a Problem?
    More from the article:

"For personal defense and law enforcement applications, the International Wound Ballistics Association advocates number 1 buckshot as being superior to all other buckshot sizes.

Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 -inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body.

For home defense applications a standard velocity 2 -inch #1 buck shotshell (16 pellet payload) from Federal, Remington or Winchester is your best choice. We feel the Federal Classic 2 -inch #1 buck load (F127) is slightly better than the same loads offered by Remington and Winchester. The Federal shotshell uses both a plastic shot cup and granulated plastic shot buffer to minimize post-ignition pellet deformation, whereas the Remington and Winchester loads do not."

Sadly, the best of the lot, the Federal #1 buck seems to be no longer available in 12 ga. loads. I've got several boxes of it left, and the ballistic performance even through car doors and glass is quite impressive. I'm hoarding what I have left.

S&B is making #1 buck loads that work pretty well, just not as well as the Federal loads. The Federal buffered loads produce amazingly tight groups out to 15 yards, about the range limit for buckshot loads. I agree, if I needed longer range I'd switch to something other than a shotgun(like one of my AR's), but a shotgun makes a perfectly good home defense weapon inside the house. With slugs it can be effective out to 100 meters. We shoot for qualification at my PD at 50 meters with slugs, and nothing punches through a car like a 12 ga. slug.

The article goes on to say that if you're worried about over penetration, load a couple with #6 bird shot and then with buck. I disagree with this conclusion simply because of the amount of time I've spent in live fire tactical training and on the range. I've seen too many guys get confused over what was in the shotgun versus what they needed to do because of "mixed loads". Better to load up with the best buck you can get and have slugs available to switch to when necessary. That's the way we train and carry as police, and we have to worry about over-penetration as much as anyone else.

-----

So, back to the topic at hand... windows and doors, not quite as effective at slowing projectiles, but otherwise the brick wall is much better than the alternate of a non-brick (or cinder block) house. Sorry for the huge article, I just thought the question about the #4 ammo called for the given information.

At this point, let's bring it back to the topic at hand, and if any more discussion should come to the best shot to use for HD or SD, I'm guessing it should belong in the defensive rifles and shotguns forum or the defensive ammunition and ballistics forum...

Depends also on the grade and type of brick. Solid much better than the hollow kind, but there are still grades to consider. In either case, I'd think it should do very well against buck. Probably the first round of almost anything "normal" should be stopped, and the odds of several rounds trying to penetrate the same brick are pretty minuscule in your scenario.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Ram Rod, honestly, I don't know much at all about construction of houses but what you say does make a lot of sense. And that's good advice, I would be a fool to depend on the bricks to stop anything. There's only the one time to 'find out' and I'm not looking to do that! Just got to wondering, y'know?!

same here I could not find #1 buck.

thanks for the info tamworth I will switch as soon as I can.

sorry I meant it more like a suggestion.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    My household 870 is loaded with 4 rounds of 00 Buck, with two 1 oz. slugs at the end of the tube. I figure if I get past 4 shots, I might need the penetration! Hopefully, I'll never need any of it. (My pistol would be more likely to be employed in most situations anyway, as I don't usually carry the shottie around the house).
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by hybrid View Post
    what about 000 buck mine is loaded with that, my house is cinder block.

although I hear #4 is better for home.
    I fired a .35 Rem rifle from 3 feet away at a cinder block wall. The bullet went thru the front of the block and cracked the hell out of the rear of the block, but did not fully penetrate the entire block.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Box of Truth

Lot's of cool tests on that site.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Quote Originally Posted by kg4ghn View Post
    Box of Truth

Lot's of cool tests on that site.
    +1

Beat me to it. This is THE place to go for this kind of question.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links