My quailfying for CCW class

This is a discussion on My quailfying for CCW class within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well I had to shoot last night to qualify for my CCW license. First off the college did not get the certificates to the range ...

Thread: My quailfying for CCW class

My quailfying for CCW class

Well I had to shoot last night to qualify for my CCW license. First off the college did not get the certificates to the range so we have to pick them up ourselves, or have them mailed.

After the quick review of range rules the two State Police firearms instructors took us in to shoot, one on one. I was toward the end of the group to shoot. My instructor was very pleasent and helpfull.

After going over my grip and stance he had me load and fire. The class requires you to be able to put 10 rounds into the torso area of the target at 7 yards. Since they did not have extra targets to use since they were with the certificates we kinda reused targets by selecting different areas to shoot each time. My first five shots were a open hand spread, not really to great. (Shooting a 2" 38 special).
    The second group a little better, maybe 5" group. He said that's plenty good to quailfy. He said if I wanted, I was all done or I could shoot a little more.
    I asked him to shoot my gun to confirm that the sight picture that I have to use on this gun does not match the standard. I have always shot WAY low using the standard front sight and back sights lined up at same height. I have to place the front sight fully above the rear to put top of front site at point of impact.
    I figured since this guy knows how to shoot he can confirm if it's in the gun, or just me. So he shoots 5 rounds, andsays, "yep, you do have to aim it like you said or it hits way low."

I said, thats not a big deal, I just have to rememeber thats how I aim this gun.

So I decide to shoot one more group. Since the target is getting kinda used up he says, aim for the gun hand of the perp on the target, and puts his finger in the middle of the perps fingers, on the grip. I shoot my 5 shots using my sight picture and when we pull the target back (I'm not wearing my glasses because I see the sights better without them) I am amazed. The group is 1-1/2 inches and the center is only about 1/4 off where he said to aim!
    He says that REALLY good shooting for a revolver, (didn't allow that it's only a 2" barrel). I was really happy, and think I made a little impression on him too. I will admit it was mostly luck however. I hope if I have to make the shots when it really counts, some of that luck is still around!

Unfortunatly I didn't get to keep the target since it was being reused. I should have asked to rip that section off, or offered to buy the rest of the shooters a new one.

I waited around for about a half hour to see if they ever got the certificates to the range, then decided to shoot on my own. I wasn't able to match that group however.

I am going to get my certificate tonight, then pick up my application and get it sent in next week.

Ted

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    congrats! good shooting!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Congrats! Sounds like everything went great... you had a nice instructor, you shot good and you enjoyed it. (Kind of hard to have a bad time shooting isn't it? )
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

That's Great, Keep shooting you'll get better as time goes on

I had the same problem with my p89 so I got a S&W M&P 40, same problem. There is a chart online somewhere which shows if you shoot off center it can tell you your particular issue to work on. It turns out that low and to the left is mashing the trigger and preact to the recoil. I loaded my magazine randomly with snapcaps and when the gun goes click you will likely notice the preact, really a good exercise. I haven't cured my issue but I am gaining on it.
    Any day practicing on the range is a good day.
    Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware.

How can you praise freedom, and condemn that which gains and preserves it?

While your issue with the sight picture may be indicative of flinching (low/left if you're right handed), if your groups are centered, but just low, it is most likely your ammo. More specifically the bullet weight. The gun's fixed sights were probably regulated using a heavier bullet and you may be using a much lighter one. This is especially true if you are using one of the light bullet/high velocity personal defense rounds. In .38 special these may run as light as 90 gr. to 110 gr. Your gun's sights may have been regulated with a 158 gr. round. Try a heavier bullet and see what that does to your group. Speer Gold Dot makes a short barrel self-defense .38 special round at 135 grs. That round prints to point of aim with my S&W 638. Good shooting and good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Good job , keep up the work.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
    While your issue with the sight picture may be indicative of flinching (low/left if you're right handed), if your groups are centered, but just low, it is most likely your ammo. More specifically the bullet weight. The gun's fixed sights were probably regulated using a heavier bullet and you may be using a much lighter one. This is especially true if you are using one of the light bullet/high velocity personal defense rounds. In .38 special these may run as light as 90 gr. to 110 gr. Your gun's sights may have been regulated with a 158 gr. round. Try a heavier bullet and see what that does to your group. Speer Gold Dot makes a short barrel self-defense .38 special round at 135 grs. That round prints to point of aim with my S&W 638. Good shooting and good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Nope, the reason I had the instructor shoot the gun also is to confirm that the standard sight picture does not work for this gun (charter arms, older, 1979 version). I figure if this guy is the onne that teaches the state police to shoot, he should be pretty accurate and able to eliminate any flinch or trigger pull issues. When he shot the gun he had the same results I do, the shots are 3" low if you line front sight with rears. Raising the front sight so the base is even with top of rear puts it right on. Note my group was 1-1/2 inches tight with center of group only 1/4" off point of aim at 21 feet. I may never do that again, but I think between what I have proven, and what he saw when shooting it, the best plan is to use this sight picture.
    The only problem would be if I get another gun I would have to train myself to use a different site picture for each gun. I suppose I could check with a gun smith to see if it's possible to have higher, adjustable rear sights added. I don't really see a need for this.

As far as ammo goes, I plan on carrying Buffalo Bore 125 grain non +p heavy (or standard Speer gold dot 125 grain, same bullet either way). I did shoot 1 cylinder of this last week and got a very good group. It does have a noticable kick but I figure if I NEED to use it I won't notice it through the adrenline. For target I use Winchester WB 130 Grain FMJ. The difference in weight should be close enough.

range training

glad it went good for ya. keep up the good work.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Links