So I was talking to this girl about guns

This is a discussion on So I was talking to this girl about guns within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I told her to think of it as a seat belt. You wear it, and it might save ur life one day. it doesn't hinder ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So I was talking to this girl about guns

So I was talking to this girl about guns

I told her to think of it as a seat belt. You wear it, and it might save ur life one day. it doesn't hinder anything when its not needed.

Then she asked ' what about when you have kids'

to which I responded:

They would be taught guns are not toys, and not to touch them, and at the house, they would be locked away.

Then my favorite question came up :D

What if someone stronger and dumber comes up to you and is unarmed but is able to take the gun away from you

to which i responded with:

If someone takes the gun from my hand, it will be empty, and they can beat me with the grip if they have anything left in them.

Thought I post this up as we have to talk to people that are anti-carry or just don't know. could be good answers you could give them

2. Remove Ads

FWIW, I think the best answer re: around the house is that it will be under your direct control -- on your person, concealed.

If someone breaks down the door, you have your firearm, no running and trying to open a safe.

The kids can't get into what isn't there.

-john

I don't see why people that are not knowledgeable on an issue can be for or against that issue. It is nice to have opinions and individual thoughts, but if you are unsure, shouldn't they become knowledgeable before taking a stand?
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

well she wasn't taking a stand actually. she admitted she is neutral, and if I feel like carrying, then thats the way it is. she was curious so she asked those 2 Qs. I guess i said anti because you could also use those with someone that are anti :)

The only thing about small kids and guns is you can let your guard down and not always have full control at all times. Sometime people get lazy.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    What if someone stronger and dumber comes up to you and is unarmed but is able to take the gun away from you

If someone takes the gun from my hand, it will be empty, and they can beat me with the grip if they have anything left in them.
    I'm gonna have to remember that one!

But at least she was asking questions and not judging you or your decisions.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

My previous statement was not direct at this person. I was just ranting as I am very frustrated by some people. :)
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

Yes it amazes me how narrow minded people are when it comes to things like guns.

People wear seat belts, life jackets for safety, they might even consider grabbing a kitchen knife to defend themselves in a home invasion.

Yet somehow guns are not viewed as safety device or self defence tool by some, they are some taboo contraption designed to murder and wage war.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Evil prevails when good men stand by and do nothing
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    Then my favorite question came up :D

I think a flippant answer like this in the face of a serious retention question is no way to educate people. If you are not trained in retention techniques then you are at the mercy of someone more skilled. (And you won't even be able to discharge a single round...)

the chances of being illegally assaulted by a random criminal more skilled ( or so skilled) in hand to hand combat and disarming techniques is so slim it hardly exists. basically if someone has spent enough time learning how to be a proper and efficient killer/attacker they are either in some type of military/ law enforcement agency and probably wont be mugging me or breaking into my house, or are a trained assassin and will more than likely kill 90% of the members on this forum before they even knew they were being attacked.
    when I leave this Earth, It's gonna be on both feet; NEVER KNEES IN THE DIRT

Senior Moderator
    the chances of being illegally assaulted by a random criminal more skilled ( or so skilled) in hand to hand combat and disarming techniques is so slim it hardly exists. basically if someone has spent enough time learning how to be a proper and efficient killer/attacker they are either in some type of military/ law enforcement agency and probably wont be mugging me or breaking into my house, or are a trained assassin and will more than likely kill 90% of the members on this forum before they even knew they were being attacked.
    Actually,the 90% figure would be somewhat low. Although there is always the argument that someone might take your gun away, it almost never happens with people that have the mindset to use it.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Heylin sez...

People wear seat belts, life jackets for safety, they might even consider grabbing a kitchen knife to defend themselves in a home invasion.

Yet somehow guns are not viewed as safety device or self defence tool by some, they are some taboo contraption designed to murder and wage war.
    Interesting point... in fact, you are compelled to wear seat belts and use life jackets (at least in Florida) to protect yourself from serious injury or death, or risk a citation and fine. The state demands you use these time-tested safety devices, but restricts and regulates firearms...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    FWIW, I think the best answer re: around the house is that it will be under your direct control -- on your person, concealed.

If someone breaks down the door, you have your firearm, no running and trying to open a safe.

-john
    I like that answer! Very good!
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

-john
    Yep, this is precisely why I carry all the time even when at home.

It may seem like the gun being on the table or just in the next room is good enough but when someone kicks in the door all of a sudden, that gun that was "just in the next room" may as well be a mile down the road. If you have it on you, it is right there ready to be drawn and used instantly.

The only time my gun is not "body temperature" in when it is in the holster attached to the bed frame, over night.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

-john
    I agree on carrying at home.

Unless I am misunderstanding you, this only works if you only own one gun.
    ~Mike
    Glock 17, Dale Fricke Archangel, Wilderness Tactical belt.
    My Guns and Tattoos Blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links