1 st time stopped while carrying..

This is a discussion on 1 st time stopped while carrying.. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so after 5 yrs of carrying,it finally happened.I got stopped tonight.My wife and I were out shopping in the good car(hers)and we left mine in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 st time stopped while carrying..

1 st time stopped while carrying..

so after 5 yrs of carrying,it finally happened.I got stopped tonight.My wife and I were out shopping in the good car(hers)and we left mine in a parking lot.so she drops me off and I get in my heap to drive home.A mile up the road I see the rollers behind me.I pull over,turn the car off and turn on the inside light,put hands on wheel.Cop comes to the window.."know why I pulled you over?"..Isay no(I really didnt' know why)"you have a headlight out.""oh crap,I say.He says can I see your licence..I then say"I should tell you I am carrying a concealed
    handgun."he says"what kind?"I say a 38 smith.In my front left pocket.He says"do you have a permit?"Yes..."ok I'll need your licence and permit.."I hand them over..he walks back to the car,and comes back in a few seconds...
    "just get that light fixed,and thanks for telling me about the gun.Have a good night."
    worked out good....we both kind of "sired" eachother to death......Yes,sir...thanks you sir.....good stop,good cop.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like that was the way it's supposed to be...except for the burned out bulb...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good to hear about a good encounter.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Good job. Good experience. One little thing. I would tell them I have a license to carry "before" I tell them I have a gun.

I have only had one experience and that was helping my son and girlfriend tow their car after they hit a deer. Before I crawled under their car to hook up the tow rope I let the deputy know I had a CC license and was armed. He thanked me for letting him know since it was very likely I would "print" while crawling around on the ground.

Always good to hear these positive experiences with LEO.

Good for you.

Stay armed, stay safe.
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

Good encounter, I'm glad it went well.

I have decided what I would do if pulled over is just hand them my permit along with my license (I keep them together in my wallet) and let them mention the word gun if they wanted to.
    Art Sr.
    NRA Member
    St. Louis, MO GO CARDINALS

Happy that all worked out as it should.

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Glad it went well . Now fix the bulb and shoot 200 rounds
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by art sr View Post
    Good encounter, I'm glad it went well.

I have decided what I would do if pulled over is just hand them my permit along with my license (I keep them together in my wallet) and let them mention the word gun if they wanted to.
    That might work if you keep your license and permit in say, the front pocket. For me, I keep my license in my wallet, which is in a back pocket. As such, I do not want to be reaching around my person and the car while the officer is walking towards the car!

That's why I think its better to just put your hands on the wheel, keys on the dash, and just wait until he walks up to the window to do anything. At least, that's what I did when I got pulled over (I don't have a carry permit though, or a gun honestly ), and told him exactly what I was going to do, i.e., my license is in my back pocket wallet, I will be reaching over to the glovebox to get my registration, etc.

It went well, but it was also my first stop so I think that may also be why.

It boggles my mind when I hear stories of LEO's who disarm permit holders, unload their pistols and put the bullets in little baggies before giving pistol back. Sheesh, get a grip.

I know it's within their right, I just don't see the need for that when someone is totally up front and complying with their state requirements for notification.

What you described should be the way it goes all the time.

Glad you didn't have an unpleasant experience.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I was stopped for the first time the other day. Like paul34 I was very cautious, kept my hands on the wheel, informed him when I was reaching for the glove box. I'm not a CHL holder because I'll be a commissioned peace officer in a few minutes so the gun issue didn't come up. I didn't feel obliged to tell him about the gun in the console because that's legal in TX and I wasn't going into the console. The only time I've had a gun in my console was the time I got pulled over. I kind of got a kick out of that.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM View Post
    Good job. Good experience. One little thing. I would tell them I have a license to carry "before" I tell them I have a gun.

Always good to hear these positive experiences with LEO.

Good for you.
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

VIP Member
    Good Deal and this was NY State.

yeah I am in NY..but a pretty rural area....the only reason I told him when I did was that he asked for my licence and at that point I'd be reaching for my wallet.Also my car is a POS,and has a bunch of crap in the back seat,which sometimes may be a red flag for some cops.But I am a middle aged fat white guy..so I don;t think I look like suspect #1,unless someone left the all you can eat buffett w/out paying.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

VIP Member
    Good deal TonyB.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    yeah I am in NY..but a pretty rural area....the only reason I told him when I did was that he asked for my licence and at that point I'd be reaching for my wallet.Also my car is a POS,and has a bunch of crap in the back seat,which sometimes may be a red flag for some cops.But I am a middle aged fat white guy..so I don;t think I look like suspect #1,unless someone left the all you can eat buffett w/out paying.
    Nothing like a little self-deprecating humor to make me smile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links