How much is too much?

How much is too much?

This is a discussion on How much is too much? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess I believe that how many guns you carry is entirely up to you and that there is no such thing as "too many" ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How much is too much?

I guess I believe that how many guns you carry is entirely up to you and that there is no such thing as "too many" as long as you can retain them all and can be perfectly safe with them.
    But with that being said let me tell you about an instructor we have in our police academy. He's a retired federal agent and he's been involved in numerous shootings and he's been at the scene of numerous shooting in which he wasn't directly involved. Additionally he was a SWAT instructor.
    Today he came in to class and during an exercise he allowed a cadet to search him, but only above the waist. The cadet wasn't even allowed to search the waist band or below. The cadet found three guns just on the upper torso. We've also known him to carry gun IWB and a gun in at least one of his pockets. So that would be 5 guns. Plus I would be surprised if he didn't have an ankle holster. So we're looking at 5 or 6 guns... I guess as a Fed who has arrested hundreds of people he does have more of a chance of finding himself in an extended gun battle than any of us do. He probably has some angry customers out there. But wow, 5 or 6 guns? That's wild.
    BTW He's a laaaarge guy. Not in shape anymore. My theory is he gained all that weight to conceal all those guns. I might have to try that.
    So what do you think? Excessive?

P.S. I bet this topic has come up 1,000,000 times. Sorry.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I carry 2 to work from the simple stand point of being able to not have a full size gun on me and have something. I I usually always carry a G19 and have a 26 just for pocket when the holster starts getting a little uncomfortable. However, usually I have one on me and the other in my desk. A wise man once said fear the man with only one gun because he probably knows how to use it!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

This instructor live my "one is none, two is one, and three is better. Whether he's talking about guns, flashlights, or knives. lol Everything.

For me?
    One gun, extra mags.

Stay armed...one is plenty for me...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Well...if you can comfortable conceal and carry that many, then why not? Personally, I think it might be overkill, but I don't know his situation. For me, I carry one gun, two sets of reloads, a knife and a flashlight. To each his own.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

VIP Member
    If I ever felt I needed six guns to get through my day I'd just stay home . Or maybe drive a tank.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    When I worked the streets, in the Houston/Harris county area, during the 80's and 90's, I typically carried 3 guns on my person along with 2 knives, a "seat gun", a shotgun and an AR in the trunk. Now the county was far less developed than today, but we worked single man units with backup at least 15 minutes away. Often times deputies from neighboring counties were closer for backup than those from our department. We had more than enough homes, subdivisions, businesses and crime to keep busy, just not near enough deputies. I can see where he's coming from.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    When I worked the streets, in the Houston/Harris county area, during the 80's and 90's, I typically carried 3 guns on my person along with 2 knives, a "seat gun", a shotgun and an AR in the trunk. Now the county was far less developed than today, but we worked single man units with backup at least 15 minutes away. Often times deputies from neighboring counties were closer for backup than those from our department. We had more than enough homes, subdivisions, businesses and crime to keep busy, just not near enough deputies. I can see where he's coming from.
    Ya when I do become an officer I have planned on having 3 guns on my perso. Maybe just two since I have a small frame. But additionally I do plan on a shotgun and an AR. I've contemplated a "seat gun" but I can draw with my seatbelt on so I don't see that as necessary at this point.
    I understand that on-duty arsenal. And we're in the Greenspoint area so if there is a location to pack all sorts of heat that is the location. It just seems like 6 guns is impractical. I don't even wanna know what he keeps in his car...

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I sometimes carry two (a 1911 and a BUG, or maybe the .44 Bulldog and the PM 9 or P3AT). Plus I may have another in the car (usually a 1911). I've carried three, but rarely. I'm not a LEO. If I were, chances are I'd carry three or more.

Some years back (10 or more) I had a credible threat against my life. During that period I made a habit of often carrying a double Galco Miami Classic rig, with a Glock 19 on one side, a 17 on the other. Often had the Glock 26 in a pocket or IWB or SOB. And some of the time, there was a shotgun and either an AR or an AK in the trunk (those were not strictly legal I think...). But I'd talked with the police (multiple jurisdictions) and they were aware of the threat. They also knew who the individual was, and warned me that I should take measures to protect myself (this from individual officers from both jurisdictions). Nothing ended up coming of it, but there were some very tense times.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    I'm a simple kind of guy and I prefer to be very proficient with one weapon or maybe two if I want to carry a backup but normally I don't.

I know a guy who actually carries three handguns and I've lost count on the knives... to each their own but I'll stick with just one 1911 with a spare magazine. Need another? Nope, I'm good!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I carry two or three off duty, depending upon the situation.

If a Revolver is my primary off duty weapon then I have at least two more on me. If I'm carrying the 1911 or the Glock I'll probably just have one BUG, but I may have more. BTW: I also carry two reloads for the primary and at least one each for the BUG(s).

Biker

Biker, how the heck do you carry 3 revolvers then?
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Administrator
    I wont carry more than what I can honest keep control over should I get into a tussle... you're far more likely to get into a fist fight or wrestling match than you are a shooting. I cant honestly say that I can keep control over more than two guns if that happens. Personally, I think its a bit silly to carry a back up in most regular Joe situations, but to each his own.
    And what happens if my opponent gets a hold of one of my guns? It turns into a shooting. The goal is for that not to happen.
    "Just blame Sixto"

One pistol I practice with, can access quickly and shoot well. Not always, but occasionally one reload.

I'm comfy with that.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

My theory is he gained all that weight to conceal all those guns. I might have to try that.
    I hope your joking.
    "An armed society is a polite society"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links