Another, oh geez, family hates guns thread

This is a discussion on Another, oh geez, family hates guns thread within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had to rant, and who can I rent to except you guys? :) My uncle owns few guns, and has his CWP. well i ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I had to rant, and who can I rent to except you guys? :)

My uncle owns few guns, and has his CWP. well i told him i got mine and i have few guns including AR, my USP and all.... i showed him the USP and he liked it but said its big etc etc.

just before I'm about to leave their house (uncle/aunt/grandma, and 2 guests) he goes, i wanna see your AR. my aunt asks what that is, and he goes oh he got some guns and all.... they all freak out and tell me how I spent the money on such useless stuff when i'm in need of money etc etc. then they tell me how its so easy to get a gun here, and how someone can loose their cool get in an arguement and pull the gun and shoot.

aunt got pretty pissed.

after that they start talking about laws and they're saying all this stuff how u can only defend urself in the bedroom and all. I told them they are arguing with the law and thats now how it is. after they don't listen, I called my cop buddy and help explain

just a tough situation when you are the only one against many. looks like I got my grandma so sort of understand though. oh well

I would never argue with older family unless I felt it was extremely important. There's no convincing them, so no use in burning bridges! :)

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    just keep your head up
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    I would never argue with older family unless I felt it was extremely important. There's no convincing them, so no use in burning bridges! :)
    yeah. i pretty much gave in and said yeah you guys are probably right.

even after my cop buddy, it didn't sound enough haha.

u know. deep inside, I wish one day while i'm here an armed robber comes in the house and threatens their lives, then i'll be there to defend them and they might have a better idea.

I told my aunt. what if one day I get robbed at gunpoint, that guy would kill me after he takes me money. i could either kill him to come see her another day, or I could be not armed, and they could come visit me in my grave anytime. I thikn that almost made a point, but they are still stubborn.

realize my family is turkish and over there gun laws are pretty strict. only the bad guys have it, or you carry illegally.

the only valid that came out of this was one of the friends understood my point, but said maybe they should raise the age a bit as she thinks 21 is too young to have a gun. she said u can't rent a car until 25, but you can carry a gun? I told her i understand her, but thats not the law, so its not like that, but if it was, i'd understand

Sadly, most sheep only come to this realization AFTER something happens to them or to a SO of theirs that could or would have been different had a weapon been present in favor of the victim(s).

Many of the "Armed Citizen" articles in the NRA magazine start with "After his house was broken into twice that month, the homeowner bought a gun for self defense"

You would think after the FIRST time one would buy a gun, not the second, or third. Then there is all of us who smartly decided to exercise our right to have the means to defend oneself from threats to life, limb and property BEFORE something happens.

At all of my family gatherings it's usually divided about 50/50 pro/anti gun, and makes for some colorfull arguments at times, but we always leave happy.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

Quote Originally Posted by svinfinity45 View Post
    Sadly, most sheep only come to this realization AFTER something happens to them or to a SO of theirs that could or would have been different had a weapon been present in favor of the victim(s).

Many of the "Armed Citizen" articles in the NRA magazine start with "After his house was broken into twice that month, the homeowner bought a gun for self defense"

You would think after the FIRST time one would buy a gun, not the second, or third. Then there is all of us who smartly decided to exercise our right to have the means to defend oneself from threats to life, limb and property BEFORE something happens.

At all of my family gatherings it's usually divided about 50/50 pro/anti gun, and makes for some colorfull arguments at times, but we always leave happy.
    5/5 is better than my 2/8 where the other person (my uncle) didn't know any of the laws right at all. :(

I should have just kept my mouth shut to my uncle. I thought it'd be a cool convo for him, but he ended up saying the word 'he has gun' next to my family.

uhhhhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post

even after my cop buddy, it didn't sound enough haha.

u know. deep inside, I wish one day while i'm here an armed robber comes in the house and threatens their lives, then i'll be there to defend them and they might have a better idea.

I told my aunt. what if one day I get robbed at gunpoint, that guy would kill me after he takes me money. i could either kill him to come see her another day, or I could be not armed, and they could come visit me in my grave anytime. I thikn that almost made a point, but they are still stubborn.

realize my family is turkish and over there gun laws are pretty strict. only the bad guys have it, or you carry illegally.

the only valid that came out of this was one of the friends understood my point, but said maybe they should raise the age a bit as she thinks 21 is too young to have a gun. she said u can't rent a car until 25, but you can carry a gun? I told her i understand her, but thats not the law, so its not like that, but if it was, i'd understand
    It's cool, my family is Indian so I can totally understand the difference in culture and social norms. I don't think I've ever openly discussed guns with anyone in my family, except my sister. I also totally understand the secret desire to be "vindicated" in front of your family and proven correct.

I had my house broken into once when I was in it. Got plenty of comments from everyone, but one that surprised me was from one of my cousins who lived in New York for most of his life after immigrating from India, who is the kind of guy everyone gets along with, told me first thing - "why didn't you shoot him?!" "Oh I didn't have a gun" Then with a smile he said "then you grab a kitchen knife!" He said it half jokingly but half seriously as well. I think that's when I got serious about learning more about guns and such (I was never anti-2A, I was quite for it, but I never actually went out and did research on all the 2A issues and self defense and such).

Of course, my parents really haven't changed from that experience. I guess I was the only person, since I was the only person who actually saw him. My dad was in the house too but he was in the bathroom the whole time (without knowing what was going on). He came out a while after everything was over, and then proceeded to ask me why the doors were all flung open and I was streaming on adrenaline.

My family isn't particularly anti-gun. However, they think I have gone over the edge - buying a gun, getting a CHL, having a loaded gun in the house ALL the time, wanting to take some self-improvement courses on handling/shooting/concealing/drawing, and (horror of horrors) getting on a forum to discuss - well, to discuss what we discuss!

However, enough people in my extended family carry regularly that it is becoming accepted.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    My Dad and Sister are both entirely pro-gun, and I helped my sister pick out her first handgun (Smith & Wesson 638). My Mom on the other hand is the complete opposite. She is forever watching the news and reading the newspaper, and believes just about everything they say. She, like most anti-gun individuals feel that common citizens should not own guns, and that only the military and law enforcement should be able to obtain them.

I'm not entirely sure about my extended family. I know my Dad's side is mostly pro-gun given my Dad grew up shooting shotguns and rifles, and my Grandfather had several guns stolen from his home. I'm not aware that any of my Mom's side owns guns or even supports the 2nd Amendment. I think my other Grandfather (Mom's Dad) had a shotgun he used to hunt with before his death in 1990, but that's about it.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    My father in law is like that. He owns guns, but gets all pissy over "assault rifles". Now I don't even bother telling him if I get a new one.

A wise penguin once said something that I have found that fits with this situation...

"Just smile and wave, boys. Just smile and wave."

I have had similar conversations, although not with older family members, but naive just the same. They rarely go the way we would wise and just end up agreeing to disagree.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

It's a bad feeling to realize that you belong to a family of bleating sheep waiting to be slaughtered isn't it?

You tried, there is no use in beating your head against a wall and becoming known as the crazy member of the family when you are obviously one of the only level headed members willing to protect your life from the scum of the world.

Just carry and be happy knowing you can protect your life and if need be, the lives of the sheep you are related to who have no clue what the gift of life really is.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    ....I told her i understand her, but thats not the law, so its not like that, but if it was, i'd understand

Thesis....antithesis...synthesis...

Find common ground.

Also, it may be better to understand than be understood...

Plus, Rome wasn't built in a day.

Hang in there, brother.

You've done all you can to explain why one should be armed and ready to defend family and self. Just let them live in their fog and pray that nothing ever happens to the loved ones - arguing won't help.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

sad that most people realise it when something really bad happens.

when some family friends came over for thanksgiving, they asked me if it was one of those gun lighters, so I told them YES, I smoke a lot so I carry it in a holster outside.

just agree with them they'll go away.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links