AR Woman CCL vs Highway BG

This is a discussion on AR Woman CCL vs Highway BG within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Saw this on the news the other night. 2 BG in a car on I40 indicated to a woman that she had a low tire. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saw this on the news the other night.

2 BG in a car on I40 indicated to a woman that she had a low tire. She pulled over to investigate, and one of the men approached and threatened her with a knife.

She pulled her gun (legal CCL holder), and the BG fled with buddy. No arrests.

I was able to point this out to my non gun family as a time when CCL is the only thing that could have prevented this from being a VERY ugly situation.

My only question-as I asked my wife- if he's threatening you with a knife-deadly force. I wouldn't have thought about it, I'd have drawn and shot him.

All the best

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ash4Hogs View Post
    My only question-as I asked my wife- if he's threatening you with a knife-deadly force. I wouldn't have thought about it, I'd have drawn and shot him.
    In her situation I would have fired also. There's been several stories like this lately, where the threatened CCer scares the BG away. Of course no one wants to shoot, but a case like hers only educates the BG who then has a chance to improve his technique when attacking his next victim.

A knife is a deadly weapon and she would have been well with in her rights to fire in self defense.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I agree never pull to scare.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    No, but if the bad guy changes his mind and drops the knife or starts to run as you are clearing leather, then it is no longer a lethal force situation. Make sure you are ready to use it if you draw, but be prepared to adjust to a changing situation in very short order...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by hybrid View Post
    I agree never pull to scare.
    I am traveling from AZ to FL to see my mom, she had asked me to come out since I had not seen her in 4 or 5 years. She is 87 and wants to see me and my kids at least one last time.

So, if a BG pulls a knife on me, lets say at a rest stop, If I shoot, I may have to delay my trip and deal with this when I need to be somewhere. I may have to stay in that state for weeks until it is resolved.

If I just point the gun, BG runs away, I let the police know, then I can be on may way and not delay the trip, or stick around in that particular state until the issue is resolved.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

While I would much rather the situation end with no shots fired, in this case she should have shot the BG immidiately. He was already way too close and once the surprise wore off, it could have still gone very badly for her.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    So, if a BG pulls a knife on me, lets say at a rest stop, If I shoot, I may have to delay my trip and deal with this when I need to be somewhere. I may have to stay in that state for weeks until it is resolved.

If I just point the gun, BG runs away, I let the police know, then I can be on may way and not delay the trip, or stick around in that particular state until the issue is resolved.
    Yes. When you draw, you are announcing your resistance to the BG. Then it's his choice to make, not yours. He has a fraction of a second to decide whether to press the attack or run.

Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I am traveling from AZ to FL to see my mom, she had asked me to come out since I had not seen her in 4 or 5 years. She is 87 and wants to see me and my kids at least one last time.

same here, I guess I forgot to add discretion is advised.
    NO 3rd party disputes

The power of imagination is the key to life.

It helps you think ahead, consider the possibilities,and prepare you for the future.
    If you lack that ability, you're no different from livestock trapped behind a fence.

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    While I would much rather the situation end with no shots fired, in this case she should have shot the BG immidiately. He was already way too close and once the surprise wore off, it could have still gone very badly for her.
    I agree 100%, she broke leather the BG should have been dispatched quickly. Don't take the chance/gamble on a lunge or run from a desperate individual.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Maybe I'm missing the point. Or maybe others are. MY point is, taking a life, ANY human life (even the BG) is to be avoided if it is not necessary.

This is NOT to suggest drawing to scare (VERY dangerous for the one holding the gun). This is NOT to suggest hesitating while deciding whether or not to shoot. And this is NOT to suggest that I think the BG is automatically going to turn tail and run at the sight of a gun.

But if the conflict is resolved by drawing, so be it. Less paperwork and no one has to live with the memories of the carnage for the rest of their lives.

If firing is necessary, do it, and do it well and quickly. Shoot to stop. But if the action is stopped by the mere producing of a weapon, leave it at that. Don't fire just because you were "justified" or within your rights. (State laws vary, and in some jurisdictions, you are allowed in any case once threatened. In others, you could wind up in prison for doing so once the threat has ceased). Either it is necessary or it isn't. Act accordingly.

One caveat, I know no details of this particular incident, other than what I've read in this thread. It just seems I see all too often here "I'd have shot- should have killed them" etc. in situations where the victim was able to end the situation without violence. Why take a life unnecessarily?

Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

My thoughts exactly Bone...........
    Evil triumphs when good men do nothing! Edmond Burke
    Where the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Where the government fears the people, there is liberty! Benjamin Franklin

THIS IS THE PRIMARY REASON WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT!!!

+1 TBone, you said exactly what I wanted to say so I don't have to! My goal is dying peacefully of old age someday far from now, having been a good shot (at the range) my whole life and never having to shoot someone. If I someday have to draw on bad guy(s) in fear for my life & they run away at the sight of iron then yay, I've accomplished my mission.

I'm not judge, jury, and executioner nor do I want to be. However if the situation doesn't resolve itself just by drawing, I would be justified (and stupid) not to fire when no other option presents itself. Like TBone said, I see a lot of people 2nd guessing decisions that worked out for the best and coaching from the bench... and no one knows how things will go down until it's you and them face to face.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down & lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, & may posterity forget you were countrymen.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Here is another link to the story...

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ort-smith.html

Rick

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    No, but if the bad guy changes his mind and drops the knife or starts to run as you are clearing leather, then it is no longer a lethal force situation. Make sure you are ready to use it if you draw, but be prepared to adjust to a changing situation in very short order...
    Do not underestimate the non verbal communication that is seen at the scene of a crime. Who s to say that 3 rounds to the BG would nt cause his central nervous system to react violently compulsive and drop the Knife during his descent to the Ground. It is about the reaction he would have. Turning and dropping it I am not sure but it would just be best to find a new occupation these days.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links