Airport/NC question

Airport/NC question

This is a discussion on Airport/NC question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I know you cannot carry in an airport, my question is can you leave a gun in the car, in the parking lot while you ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Airport/NC question

I know you cannot carry in an airport, my question is can you leave a gun in the car, in the parking lot while you go into the terminal?

I did a quick search and couldn't seem to find it.

The situation is my son is flying in tonight from Buffalo, and his original flight was cancelled (was supposed to get in at 3:30 this afternoon) and now he will not be arriving until just before midnight. Husband works in Iraq, so I will be going by myself, haven't decided if I am bringing other kids or leaving them at home (2 teens and a little). The issue I am having is the area I have to go through to get there is not good, as in car jackings, shootings,robberies. I don't even care to go through there in daylight, much less at midnight. I'd like to take the gun at least in the car, knowing I cannot take into the airport of course. Just want to know if it's illegal even to bring onto airport grounds, ie parking deck? TIA for any help. It's about an hour each way to the airport from home.
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Lead Moderator
    I think you have to check your state laws. Some stated allow carry as long as you are not entering the "secure area", and I believe all but two airports are State run.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Sometimes it's better to beg forgiveness than to seek permission.

Disclaimer and small print: Void where prohibited, your mileage may vary, I'm not a lawyer and don't play on on TV, and in no way do I encourage the breaking of any law, local state or federal.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I think that you are safe in the parking lot.

I thought all public airports allow you to carry as long as you stay before the security check area.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    I thought all public airports allow you to carry as long as you stay before the security check area.
    I was under that impression too...but perhaps thats an Arizona thing and not country-wide. I'd check with the state DPS to see if it's ok.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

No idea for NC. I've read the FL laws to be you can carry in airports, outside the secured area. i.e., parking, ticketing, drop-off, etc. are ok.

YMMV for NC though.. (I couldn't find it in a quick Google search either).

Edit: The law actually states you cannot carry "inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport" in Florida. The definition of 'terminal' can vary, but I don't think I'd chance it. It seems easy to define the ticketing area to be part of the terminal, even though that is outside the sterile area. Plus, I wouldn't want to make the guys with the M16's nervous.
    Last edited by ZachH; December 19th, 2008 at 09:36 PM.

Airport carry

there are no federal laws preventing a person with a concealed handgun permit to enter an airport terminal up to the point of the secure area.

Some terminal operators, like our pseudo-government agency who runs the Portland International airport, will try to take things into their own hands and create policies/rules that prohibit such carry. In the case of ORegon, this was in violation of state law, which does not prohibit concealed carry into the terminal, and those rules have recently been rescinded.

Try that at Atlanta. GCO is in a battle with them over this. Currently (unless something recent) you will be arrested.

Yes, in NC it's posted on the doors of the terminal, and unfortunately it is enough in NC to have the sign. From what I have read and found it seems the parking lot is fine though. Thanks!
    NRA, GOA, GRNC member
    "Both the oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms."
    - Aristotle

Here in Texas, the laws state "before the security check area". I once saw a fellow open his suitcase, pull out his locking guncase, pull his revolver from the holster, unload the rounds, put the gun in the locking case, lock it, put the six rounds in the box of 50 he also had in the briefcase, take off his paddle holster, put it into the suitcase zip and lock it up, sign his documents, carry his suitcase over to the TSA booth and walk away. I followed him through the security checkpoint and into the terminal area without incident. I was sure those folks standing behind him at the ticketing counter or the two airport police looking directly at him woud have said or done something....but no one reacted to him pulling the revolver from concealment.

I would have never done it that way, I always have it locked in the locking guncase, in the suitcase, slide open. I usually talk in a low voice to the clerk and have usually been pulled to one of the open check-in stations to perform the unloaded check and sign all paperwork. I just dont feel right about showing my gun or method of concealment to just anyone.

tex
    The only thing needed for evil to exist is for good men to stand by and do nothing!!!

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    In Virginia, state law prohibits carry anywhere in the terminal, even in non-secure areas. Parking lot would be okay in VA though, I believe.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

VIP Member

So how can you check in a weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    In Virginia, state law prohibits carry anywhere in the terminal, even in non-secure areas. Parking lot would be okay in VA though, I believe.
    If you can't take it into the airport, how can you check it in? Or do they just mean you can't have it loaded and readily accessible on your person?

What happens in GA now? Don't people from other places with GA reciprocity fly into the airports there? ANd then fly out?

Has it become like NY and NJ where you never know what the heck the rules are, and they are usually "you get arrested and we'll figure out if it was legal later."

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    No gun can be taken into any airport under any circumstances EXCEPT if you are taking it in to check it or coming back with it in a bag that was checked.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

There is no law in NC that expressly prohibits carry in an airport, hoever, many of our airports are state-owned, ad therefore off-limits. Additionally, most of the private ones are marked.

Having said that, the ONLY place in NC you cannot leave your firearm in the car is on school grounds. anywhere else, you can carry on you in the car, and remove said weapon and leave it in the vehicle until you return.

(if you need cites, PM, i can provide them, but don't have them on me right now)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links