Moving to Florida (?)

Moving to Florida (?)

This is a discussion on Moving to Florida (?) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is starting to make noises about moving to Florida. I'm all for it, but have a question that you guys may be able ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Florida (?)

Moving to Florida (?)

My wife is starting to make noises about moving to Florida. I'm all for it, but have a question that you guys may be able to help. I'm pretty sure that my NC driver's license is good in Florida and won't have to go thru any kind of driver's training to get a Florida driver's license.

But how about my Concealed Carry Permit? North Carolina has a CCW Reciprocity with Florida, so they honor our permits, but do I have to go thru any kind of training to receive a Florida permit? Is my NC training good?

Anyone done this before?

Come one down!

I don't know the answer to your question, maybe someone who has done this already will chime in.

In the meantime, I'd suggest asking your question by email to Ken Wilkinson, Management Analyst, Department of Agriculture, Consumer Services, Division of Licensing. (Heck of a title, isn't it?)

He's been most helpful to me and others on this Forum.

His email address is wilkink@doacs.state.fl.us

Not sure what his actual function is, but he does field questions and he can get things done.

Good luck, and I hope you do decide to make the move.

mm
    Political Correctness has now "evolved" into Political Cowardice.

millitary

if you were in the millitary and recived weapons training while in just send your dd-214 with the application.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider
    My wife is starting to make noises about moving to Florida. I'm all for it, but have a question that you guys may be able to help. I'm pretty sure that my NC driver's license is good in Florida and won't have to go thru any kind of driver's training to get a Florida driver's license.
    Drivers license is easy and painless. Go to http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/faqkeys.html to get all the info you need.

When you get here, go to http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/offices/ to make an on-line appointment for your license conversion.

My wife and I were in and out in 30 minutes, with our new licenses in hand.

Matt

Assistant Administrator
    I am remembering a post not so long ago where things were in reverse - a move from FL to NC. As I recall - at one critical point when the guy was technically a NC resident (day 60, day 90, whatever) - all of a sudden his FL permit ceased to cover him. He then faced huge delays while go got his NC permit under way and so was non CCW.

I am just wondering as to whether this can happen in reverse, tho sure sure hope not.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Florida is more than happy to issue you a CCW. A whole lot faster than NC is.
    The drivers license can be different by county though. where are you planning on coming to. Some counties do require a drivers test.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Talking You Can Take My Place Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider

But how about my Concealed Carry Permit? North Carolina has a CCW Reciprocity with Florida, so they honor our permits, but do I have to go thru any kind of training to receive a Florida permit? Is my NC training good?

Anyone done this before?
    That's funny because my wife is due to retire in five years and she's been making noises about retiring to Ashville (or that area) N.C. But I think I can persuade her to keep two homes, with our residence being in extreme north Florida and something in Ashville, too. Just as long as we can move waaaaaay far away from our current home of MIAMI! We were both born and raised here, but this is no longer our hometown. The only reason I'd want to maintain FL as my actual residence is for the lack of a state income tax. I heard that in NC you are forbidden to carry concealed in any place for which admission is charged? True? No CCW to the movies? What about those dark parking lots? I'll have to surf over to http://www.packing.org to see what OTHER differences there are in permit applications and use of deadly force.

Your NC training should still be good to go for FL. We also accept DD214's as proof of training and even a state run hunter safety program can suffice, so you should be okay.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    Fla. will accept a honorable discharge also,if you can't find a DD214 after X ammount of years.--------

This is too easy, GR. Dont get caught up in the reciprocity red tape.
    Sign up for any Florida class, usually through any number of local gun shops, that offers everything for your permit application in a package deal. It will include fingerprints, photos, notary service, application form and required 2 hour class with qualifying. You dont even need to bring a weapon. The entire process takes 2 hours and costs about 75 bones. Enclose a check for 117 bucks for the state in the provided self addressed envelope, affix 2 stamps and drop it on the gun counter as you leave for the mailman to pick up.
    Done.
    You better pray I dont jam, because my backup is a ball peen hammer.

Below is some info I copied from packing.org:

Documents required
    Date updated: Jul 28, 2005 @ 6:42 pm

790.06 License to Carry Concealed Weapon or Firearm.

Application form (2 pages)which requires notarized signature
    $117 cashier's check/money order/certified check/Personal Check(new)
    Training documentation; eight different records can be accepted such as DD214, NRA/State training course, hunter safety, etc.
    Fingerprint card
    One passport sized photo

Go ahead and request an information pack from the Florida authorities, and if you meet the requirements, submit your application. You can get your Florida CCW before you even move there, and it gives you reciprocity with several states.

SSKC

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    That's funny because my wife is due to retire in five years and she's been making noises about retiring to Ashville (or that area) N.C. But I think I can persuade her to keep two homes, with our residence being in extreme north Florida and something in Ashville, too. Just as long as we can move waaaaaay far away from our current home of MIAMI! We were both born and raised here, but this is no longer our hometown. The only reason I'd want to maintain FL as my actual residence is for the lack of a state income tax. I heard that in NC you are forbidden to carry concealed in any place for which admission is charged? True? No CCW to the movies? What about those dark parking lots? I'll have to surf over to http://www.packing.org to see what OTHER differences there are in permit applications and use of deadly force.

Your NC training should still be good to go for FL. We also accept DD214's as proof of training and even a state run hunter safety program can suffice, so you should be okay.

True, no concealed in a place that charges admission in NC. (But concealed means concealed...)

Asheville is a beautiful town - right in the middle of the Smokies. However, the rest of the people here in NC smile about Asheville sometimes. It's known as a gathering place for left-over hippies and a liberal haven. There was a debate a few years ago about where to locate the new North Carolina zoo. Someone in the General Assembly in Raleigh suggested that we simply erect a large fence around the city of Asheville and call it the NC Zoo.

Okay, I was just kidding about that last part...

So it looks like it's easier to get a CCW permit than a driver's license in Florida?

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I love Ashville.
    Been visiting friends there for 0ver 20 years.
    Town sort of grew up too fast though.
    My Daughter lives just north of Charlotte. That's growing like Florida. WAYYYYY too fast.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Actually, FL will issue a permit to non-residents. Why not go ahead and get your FL CCW and avoid the whole problem?

Enjoy the "Gunshine State"!
    S&W 5906
    si vis pacem, para bellum

protego communis bona

Aus
    The people I know who went to FL are all leaving... within a year of getting there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links