Sending in FL CCW paperwork before 21?

This is a discussion on Sending in FL CCW paperwork before 21? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I am turning 21 in a month and a half and will be applying for my CCW permit. However, it frustrates me that it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sending in FL CCW paperwork before 21?

Sending in FL CCW paperwork before 21?

Hi, I am turning 21 in a month and a half and will be applying for my CCW permit. However, it frustrates me that it takes 30 to 90 days to file the paperwork, and it seems many are taking 80+ days to be completed. Is there any way I can submit this paperwork early, as I will be 21 before I receive my permit, or would this cause problems and further delays? I realize this may not seem like a big deal, but I have been shooting since I was young and waiting to be 21 to carry, and waiting an extra 3 months is annoying.

If it cannot be submitted until you are 21, I guess I will just have to wait but it seems like there should be a better system if that is the case. It would be simple enough to just send the permits to the local sherrifs office and they would have to verify that you are 21 before picking it up.

2. Remove Ads

My neighbor just sent in his FL application and forgot to add something. He called and asked what he should do. They said that they would send the app back and to resend it...and...it would be 45 days before mailed in apps are even looked at...so many coming now.

Just my guess, but if you sent it in now, by the time the app is even looked at, you'll be 21.
    OMO...Dept of Ag may see it differently.
    Call and ask, they are very friendly.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1

It would appear that if a letter is opened, and the information from that document is current reference you personally, it would be OK!

Having said that... Call them on the phone and ASK! What is that old saying? "Better being safe than sorry"

Good luck, be careful, and read the rules. We all were 21 once!

Patience Grasshopper: The day after I turned 14 I went down to the Highway Department to get my learners permit. After I passed the test they said look for it in the mail in a few days. I had to wait at leat two weeks before I could even try for my restricted license. When I passed that test the examiner said as soon as they mail it to you, you will be legal to drive. Most young people would commit suicide now if they said they were going to mail their license to them instead of printing them out immediately.

That was about 45 years ago and I still have my drivers license. You have waited 21 years so just stay under your bed for the next 90 days and you will survive.

On a good note you'll get a (7) year license

If you get the shot off too fast you'll miss!
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Can't answer your question, but I guess I am curious why you are so anxious?

Rick

Yeah, I suppose calling and asking wouldn't hurt, I just assumed that they would tell me I have to be 21 before submitting it even if it was going to sit in a stack for a month to be processed.

It's not that I am in a huge hurry to be able to carry, but I am going to buy a handgun for concealed carry and range shooting when I turn 21, and for 1 having the permit would save me from having to make an extra trip to the gun dealer a little over an hour away for the 3 day waiting period. I plan on buying from this dealer because some of my friends have purchased guns from him and have had great experiences and been able to shoot different guns from him before ordering.

The second reason is just the principle of it. I am fine waiting until 21, as the law states, but I would like to be able to have that privilege as soon as I am eligible too. It would be like if when you turned 21, you had to go exchange your DL for an updated one that allowed you to buy beer, but it took 3 more months to process it.

I will call and see what they say, if I have to wait I will but it would be nice to get things started if I could. Thanks for the advice.

Maybe FL should change the age requirement to 20 years, 9 months.

Lately, it's been taking about 65 to 90 days for FLDofA to process an app. Reports are they're swamped.

Wait Times - Florida Concealed Carry Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    ...Lately, it's been taking about 65 to 90 days for FLDofA to process an app. Reports are they're swamped.

Wait Times - Florida Concealed Carry Forums
    "Swamped"! Was that a pun? Florida, Gators, Swamp...

I'm sure they're swamped too. The CCW instructors that I know here in Colo have seen a 6 fold increase in their class enrollments.

Quote Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
    Patience Grasshopper...

That's exactly what I was gonna say but then I thought about it.

Have you ever heard the expression "It's better to do and apologize than to ask for permission and be denied."? What have you got to lose? My own state's RS state:

(1) Beginning May 17, 2003, except as otherwise provided in this section, a sheriff shall issue a permit to carry a concealed handgun to an applicant who:

(a) Is a legal resident of the state of Colorado...yada, yada,...

(b) Is twenty-one years of age or older;

(c) ...
    (d)...
    etc.

It doesn't say anything about how old you must be to take the training or to submit the application. Since they're backed up that long I say "Go for it!". By the time it gets to the sheriff's desk for signature, you'll be 21. They'll likely never notice.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but by signing and filling out the application, you're swearing under oath that you're 21 years or older. Not only this, but do you have to date the application? If so, your application will be dated and postmarked (if you mail it) prior to being 21 years of age. You might as well call, but I doubt it. Just my .02

-Jeff-

+1 to Jeff, simply because the chances of getting the notary to sign off, especially if they have any familiarity with the CCW process, would probably be slim to zero. That said, I decided to use all of that extra time before having my permit to practice and become familiar with my weapon as often as possible...As of right now I am still waiting for the permit (sent in middle November), and have been going to the range once weekly (sometimes more, sometimes less) since I bought the pistol in October...hundreds of rounds later my FNP-9 and I are the best of friends and awaiting the permit in the mail...
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I took the class when I was 20 and applied the day after my birthday - only because my birthday coincides with a federal holiday. I had to have my birth certificate and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have let me submit the application before my birthday. But, I'm not in Florida.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    gatorgrizz27, first rule of CCW is leave Ego at home. Second Rule, don't rush into anything.

Don't take it wrong please, but you seem to be too anxious and almost desperate to get that little piece of plastic. You are about to enter a club with a truckload of responsibilities and your actions scrutinized by many just because you legally carry a concealed weapon.

This is your first test: Be patient. Sign your paperwork the morning of your 21st birthday and send it. Wait whatever time is required. Go buy your gun and take the inconvenience of waiting period. Those are experiences that will help you build character and are the first two of many frustrations that you will suffer as a CCWer. No benefit comes without some sort of burden.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I would wait
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links