Did something really stupid last night

This is a discussion on Did something really stupid last night within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Went to see a movie with the GF last night. I took off my jacket and sat. Movie's over, I stand up to put my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did something really stupid last night

Did something really stupid last night

Went to see a movie with the GF last night. I took off my jacket and sat. Movie's over, I stand up to put my jacket back on just as the lights come back up and quickly realize the grip of my glock is completely exposed! I covered up and nobody behind me ran or screamed "GUN!" so I guess nobody noticed. Whoops. I thought I had a few more seconds of darkness to cover back up.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    It happens.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Like Sixto said, it can happen. And you'd be surprised at just how inattentive other folks can be.

-JT

most sheep are blind to guns.
    I was standing in line at an department dtoree over the weekend and noticed a father and sone standint behind me. The father was carrying owb in a blck holster and his "cover" shirt was tucked behind the holster.
    I politely told him he was printing and he quickly fixed himself. still no one noticed the entire thing.

I personally have not done this, yet. But several members here have admitted accidentally or through their comfort with carry, exposed their firearm in a public setting. The amazing thing is that most of the people out there wouldn't notice if you never covered it up. It is not on their radar. Most of the incidents that people have shared have been other CCW people letting them know they were printing/exposed. Those who are not CCW and do notice would probably assume the person was a plaiclothes or off-duty LEO as long as they don't look like a gang-banger or fit a stereotype for a bad guy. Most of the rest who noticed would do what most Americans seem to do now days, nothing. There are only a few very skittish and adamantly anti-gun/petrified of guns people who do the gun scream and run to tell the nearest authroity figure.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

The thing is...most BG's don't wear holsters, so it is fair to assume the person in question is just innocently printing. However, once I make someone with a weapon, my alert level rises accordingly.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

I was trying on shoes the other day, had a Glock 27 in an ankle holster and the salesman says "oh, you have brace on?" and I said "yeah, a .40 caliber brace", he laughed and I put the rig in my wifey's purse......funny look on his face though.

Many people assume many things. If they see a person carrying a weapon and some degree of care has been taken to keep it concealed, or said person is open carrying, a couple of assumptions are made. If said person has not pulled the WIQ (weapon in questions) and unloaded through the round end at random people, said person is "authorized". Said person could be a LEO. Off duty, undercover, etc. Said person could be authorized. Or pick an assumption.

Most non-carrying people who spot a gun take the attitude that ignorance is bliss (and there are a lot of very happy people roaming the planet) and don't want to get involved, so they ignore said WIQ.

Most BG's aren't going to put themselves under public scrutiny, don't carry a WIQ in a holster, and are not normally with family units.

Now some of the above is, of course, tongue in cheek, but in the 5 years I've been legally carrying a weapon, I'm sure I've been spotted on a few occasions. I take every precaution I can to keep my weapon/s concealed, but realize that printing or otherwise showing hints of a weapon are calculated risks I am willing to assume. I just don't worry about it. I have a couple of acquaintances who obsess about "getting caught". They bury their weapon so damn deep that they would be hard pressed to have quick access should the occasion arise.

In order to make effective use of a weapon, it must be accessible. Being accessible, by definition, means that there is a better than even chance that you will expose yourself (don't go there) once in a while regardless of care taken.

My 2 centavos, YMMV.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

It happens

I don't know if your state is open carry or not but in my state it is and woudln't really matter either way. I understand the oh my i'm not concealed anymore realization but like stated most don't care.

I forget the post and couldn't find it in searching but one member here actually had a movie patron a row in front of him reach down and grab his dropped revolver that was thought to be a droped cell phone. trying to be helpful but nothing outrageous was said just handed back with a look. (the lesson in that one was never carry in cheap nylon)

Hopefully, the movie wasn't, "The Glock Killer".

I'd be willing to bet that with the lights coming on after being in the dark, a couple of hundred people getting up and worrying more about stretching their bones and catching their balance...no one would have been able to see a thing, even if they were looking directly at it.

Stay armed...go on with life...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

NY is CC state, and for the most part a very anti gun. 75% of my close friends and family that know I carry gave me the "Why do have a gun, guns are evil" talk.

Quote Originally Posted by Bprepared View Post
    most sheep are blind to guns.
    I was standing in line at an department dtoree over the weekend and noticed a father and son standing behind me. The father was carrying owb in a blck holster and his "cover" shirt was tucked behind the holster.
    I politely told him he was printing and he quickly fixed himself. still no one noticed the entire thing.
    Did he thank you or take offense?

yes sir,happens to the best of us. as posted early, i doubt anyone noticed
    anyway. there to busy commemting on the movie and where the heck
    is the exit.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

It happens occaisonally to the best of us. My six year old daughter watches my back and knows when we are a little too visible. For the most part people don't really see something like a momentary exposure. They are not tuned to see what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by AWLCO View Post
    ... the grip of my glock is completely exposed!
    For a moment there, you were a criminal and a threat. (At least, so says The State.)

How does it feel?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links