Defensive Carry banner

Did something really stupid last night

3K views 28 replies 26 participants last post by  MP45Man 
#1 ·
Went to see a movie with the GF last night. I took off my jacket and sat. Movie's over, I stand up to put my jacket back on just as the lights come back up and quickly realize the grip of my glock is completely exposed! I covered up and nobody behind me ran or screamed "GUN!" :gah: so I guess nobody noticed. Whoops. I thought I had a few more seconds of darkness to cover back up.

#4 ·
most sheep are blind to guns.
I was standing in line at an department dtoree over the weekend and noticed a father and sone standint behind me. The father was carrying owb in a blck holster and his "cover" shirt was tucked behind the holster.
I politely told him he was printing and he quickly fixed himself. still no one noticed the entire thing.

#12 ·
most sheep are blind to guns.
I was standing in line at an department dtoree over the weekend and noticed a father and son standing behind me. The father was carrying owb in a blck holster and his "cover" shirt was tucked behind the holster.
I politely told him he was printing and he quickly fixed himself. still no one noticed the entire thing.
Did he thank you or take offense?

#5 ·
I personally have not done this, yet. But several members here have admitted accidentally or through their comfort with carry, exposed their firearm in a public setting. The amazing thing is that most of the people out there wouldn't notice if you never covered it up. It is not on their radar. Most of the incidents that people have shared have been other CCW people letting them know they were printing/exposed. Those who are not CCW and do notice would probably assume the person was a plaiclothes or off-duty LEO as long as they don't look like a gang-banger or fit a stereotype for a bad guy. Most of the rest who noticed would do what most Americans seem to do now days, nothing. There are only a few very skittish and adamantly anti-gun/petrified of guns people who do the gun scream and run to tell the nearest authroity figure.

#7 ·
I was trying on shoes the other day, had a Glock 27 in an ankle holster and the salesman says "oh, you have brace on?" and I said "yeah, a .40 caliber brace", he laughed and I put the rig in my wifey's purse......funny look on his face though.

#8 ·
Many people assume many things. If they see a person carrying a weapon and some degree of care has been taken to keep it concealed, or said person is open carrying, a couple of assumptions are made. If said person has not pulled the WIQ (weapon in questions) and unloaded through the round end at random people, said person is "authorized". Said person could be a LEO. Off duty, undercover, etc. Said person could be authorized. Or pick an assumption.

Most non-carrying people who spot a gun take the attitude that ignorance is bliss (and there are a lot of very happy people roaming the planet) and don't want to get involved, so they ignore said WIQ.

Most BG's aren't going to put themselves under public scrutiny, don't carry a WIQ in a holster, and are not normally with family units.

Now some of the above is, of course, tongue in cheek, but in the 5 years I've been legally carrying a weapon, I'm sure I've been spotted on a few occasions. I take every precaution I can to keep my weapon/s concealed, but realize that printing or otherwise showing hints of a weapon are calculated risks I am willing to assume. I just don't worry about it. I have a couple of acquaintances who obsess about "getting caught". They bury their weapon so damn deep that they would be hard pressed to have quick access should the occasion arise.

In order to make effective use of a weapon, it must be accessible. Being accessible, by definition, means that there is a better than even chance that you will expose yourself (don't go there) once in a while regardless of care taken.

My 2 centavos, YMMV.

#9 ·
It happens

I don't know if your state is open carry or not but in my state it is and woudln't really matter either way. I understand the oh my i'm not concealed anymore realization but like stated most don't care.

I forget the post and couldn't find it in searching but one member here actually had a movie patron a row in front of him reach down and grab his dropped revolver that was thought to be a droped cell phone. trying to be helpful but nothing outrageous was said just handed back with a look. (the lesson in that one was never carry in cheap nylon)

#10 ·
Hopefully, the movie wasn't, "The Glock Killer".:comeandgetsome:

I'd be willing to bet that with the lights coming on after being in the dark, a couple of hundred people getting up and worrying more about stretching their bones and catching their balance...no one would have been able to see a thing, even if they were looking directly at it.

Stay armed...go on with life...stay safe!

#11 ·
NY is CC state, and for the most part a very anti gun. 75% of my close friends and family that know I carry gave me the "Why do have a gun, guns are evil" talk.

#15 ·
... the grip of my glock is completely exposed!
For a moment there, you were a criminal and a threat. (At least, so says The State.)

How does it feel? :tongue:

#22 ·
:theyareontome: I was concerned for a split second that I might be having a conversation with a few LEO's. Luckily, the :sheep: didn't notice or make a big deal out of nothing if they did see it.

#16 ·
Happened to me two weeks ago coming out of the family room at the mall after feeding and changing my son. I had him wrapped in my arms and was coming out to put him back in his stroller and keep shopping with my JD and he quickly grabbed my sweater and pulled it back over my gun.

No one noticed, of course.

It happens. It's not a big deal.

#18 ·
I've been using an OWB holster these days because it's cold enough that I never have to take off my cover garment. The problem was, I ran to the store the other day and just grabbed a jacket not noticing how short it was. You guessed it, I passed a mirror and there was my Kramer holster poking out the bottom! :blink:

Like SIXTO said, it happens! :rofl:

#21 ·
really, the only time I've noticed someone with a gun (either OC or printing CC) was when I specifically looked for one. Here in PHX, plain clothes officers often are seen with weapons as are regular Joes. I saw a guy walking his dog with a nice looking 1911 on his hip the other day! To sound like a broken record...it happens. I find myself more concerned about hiding it than I should be when I CC.

#23 ·
I've had a couple of slipups , IMHO winter is horrible as my coat always tends to ride up my shirt, so I kinda have to tug down on the right side of my jacket as I'm rising from a car, or a seat while wearing my jacket. Nobodys ever seemed to take notice

#26 ·
This is one time u can thank TV. See, the sheep are so used to seeing undercovers & P.I.s walking around with a OTW holster under a coat or cover shirt that if they notice a holstered gun on someone who looks like an average joe they think nothing of it.

Bad Guys dont dress nice, go out with their family or use holsters.

#27 ·
I thought the fat girl was the elephant! Oh wait!...

*knock on wood* been carrying almost 2 years and haven't been made yet. I hate getting in and out of cars though when IWB and you can't carry, ie post office. Most of the time I pocket carry only when I know I'm going by a place like that.

J

#28 ·
I wasn't that lucky. I got made within three months.
I met up with some other riders downtown to watch the people zoo. while standing around talking BS, a buddy reaches over, says "let me borrow your phone" lifted my shirt and was hypnotized for a few seconds. I just said "the phone's on the other side" and covered my 1911 back up. He was just kinda dazed as he turned to my brother and ASKED to borrow his phone.
Hundreds of people around, but no one noticed but me and him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.