Unregistered carry

This is a discussion on Unregistered carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dumb question. just clarifying... Theres a guy I know from wyoming who happens to have the gun I want and he'll give me a good ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unregistered carry

Unregistered carry

Dumb question. just clarifying...
    Theres a guy I know from wyoming who happens to have the gun I want and he'll give me a good deal on it... He said id buy it and he does a bill of sale but they dont call it in and register.. I live in Minnesota, before I carried it I'd need to register it right? Or would I be fine since Id have a bill of sale.. thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I'm not sure what the laws regarding private transfers in your state are, but I do know you don't have to register firearms in Minnesota.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ouch View Post
    Dumb question. just clarifying...
    Theres a guy I know from wyoming who happens to have the gun I want and he'll give me a good deal on it... He said id buy it and he does a bill of sale but they dont call it in and register.. I live in Minnesota, before I carried it I'd need to register it right? Or would I be fine since Id have a bill of sale.. thanks.
    All interstate handgun sales must go through a FFL in the buyer's state of residence. You'll have to check and follow Minnesota carry laws after you buy the gun.

As I understand your situation:

1. You are a resident of Minnesota
    2. Your friend is a resident of Wyoming
    3. He has a gun you want to buy.
    4. You are wondering about "registration"

First, given items 1 and 2, he cannot legally sell a gun directly to you across state lines without the involvement of someone with a FFL. The gun must be delivered to a FFL in your state who will complete the background check with the FBI and handle to delivery of the gun to you. Bottom line line, unless you are both residents of the same state. what you are contemplating looks like a no-go. Violation is a big deal...penalties are significant.

"Registration" is a state by state issue. Assuming you follow the Federal laws regarding interstate firearms transfer, you'll need to check your state and local laws to determine if you have any further obligations

Quote Originally Posted by rlsmaritime View Post
    As I understand your situation:

1. You are a resident of Minnesota
    2. Your friend is a resident of Wyoming
    3. He has a gun you want to buy.
    4. You are wondering about "registration"

First, given items 1 and 2, he cannot legally sell a gun directly to you across state lines without the involvement of someone with a FFL. The gun must be delivered to a FFL in your state who will complete the background check with the FBI and handle to delivery of the gun to you. Bottom line line, unless you are both residents of the same state. what you are contemplating looks like a no-go. Violation is a big deal...penalties are significant.

"Registration" is a state by state issue. Assuming you follow the Federal laws regarding interstate firearms transfer, you'll need to check your state and local laws to determine if you have any further obligations

Right on the head of the nail.
    There are 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those that don't.

I live in FL, one of my sons lives in IN...I wouldn't even give him a weapon without going through the FFL route. I do not want to lose my right to carry a firearm, and that could do it. State to state weapons transfers are not something to take lightly.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Does this all mean that I cannot be on a trip somewhere (another state) and find a gun in the classified ads for sale and make a deal on that weapon for cash and bring it home?

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redline4200 View Post
    Does this all mean that I cannot be on a trip somewhere (another state) and find a gun in the classified ads for sale and make a deal on that weapon for cash and bring it home?
    Yep, thats what it means regarding handguns.
    Last edited by Rcher; December 21st, 2008 at 04:12 PM.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Rifles are different then handguns. You may purchase a rifle in another state without going through your local ffl if youi transport it yourself. You cannot do this with a pistol.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Not sure I understand the connection to your thread title...unregistered carry to buying an out of state gun.

Rick

Question.....if bought from and individual in another state, and figuring non- registration of firearms in the buyer or seller's state....how would anyone ever know? I'm not suggesting anything here and definitely nothing illegal. Just a question. Buying from a licensed dealer in another state would be a whole different story of course. Realize that private transactions in my state are in no way prohibited. And, I figure my property is my property, and if I have a bill of sale, then it's definitely my property. Say I move from Arkansas to another state to reside. Surely I don't need to run all my guns down to my FFL and say: "here....send these to me at my new address in a week". That wouldn't do well with me at some $20-$30 a pop per transfer! I know the laws are a tangled web, but ................................

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Not sure I understand the connection to your thread title...unregistered carry to buying an out of state gun.

Rick
    Yeah...and that too. How does this relate?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Question.....if bought from and individual in another state, and figuring non- registration of firearms in the buyer or seller's state....how would anyone ever know? I'm not suggesting anything here and definitely nothing illegal. Just a question. Buying from a licensed dealer in another state would be a whole different story of course. Realize that private transactions in my state are in no way prohibited. And, I figure my property is my property, and if I have a bill of sale, then it's definitely my property. Say I move from Arkansas to another state to reside. Surely I don't need to run all my guns down to my FFL and say: "here....send these to me at my new address in a week". That wouldn't do well with me at some $20-$30 a pop per transfer! I know the laws are a tangled web, but ................................

Yeah...and that too. How does this relate?
    That's what I'm talkin about.

Is not a private purchase between citizens just that? If it is then my property, I choose where it goes. Or so it seems to me.

This thread is making my head hurt.
    NRA, IDPA, GSSF & GSSA member
    Certified Glock Armorer

VIP Member

retsupt, let me make certain I understand

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I live in FL, one of my sons lives in IN...I wouldn't even give him a weapon without going through the FFL route. I do not want to lose my right to carry a firearm, and that could do it. State to state weapons transfers are not something to take lightly.
    Assume two things: 1) Your Florida license is valid in Indiana; 2) There is no registration or transfer law in Indiana and private sales there are legal as are private gifts.

Are you saying that you could not get on a plane with a gift weapon in your luggage and give it to your son in IN?

Are you saying that doing so is a violation of Federal law?

I'm not challenging you here. I just want to be sure I understand what you have written and that you are correct. Because, I had actually planned to fly to where my son lives one of these days and hand him a gun. If that is not legal, I need to know about it so I can use an FFL.

Clearly, an FFL is the safest way to transfer, yet I have a related issue.

Let's suppose both my son and I live in states where private transfers are legal, where it is legal to have the gun in the home without licensing or permit to possess. Given that supposition, I would want to gift a gun to my son on arrival at his residence; I being legal the whole way due to reciprocity. However, if I send through an FFL, he can not pick it up because he would not be legal with it outside his home-- I think.

Please comment on both issues. Thanks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redline4200 View Post
    You need a copy of a local FFL, then go to a FFL in the state you traveled to and have him mail it to the home town FFL.
    Takes some planning and research before you buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links