A LEO's point of view

This is a discussion on A LEO's point of view within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend of mine is a LEO in Chicago (SWAT) and when I asked him about concealed carry his answer was something that struck me ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A LEO's point of view

A LEO's point of view

A friend of mine is a LEO in Chicago (SWAT) and when I asked him about concealed carry his answer was something that struck me as very true and I hope you deem it worth sharing.

He said that his job is not to protect us from threats that MAY happen but to protect from those who are known to pose a threat and to RESPOND to threats. If he needs to respond then it is most likely to late for the victim. That is what makes a victim! Unfortunately for those living in the wonderful state of Illinois you really don't have many options for personal protection.

He also said that basically EVERY LEO he know wishes the law abiding citizen in his state had the right legalized to carry...he said it would make his job much easier and safer...I find this interesting and encouraging.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Sounds like he found the clue bird...he can't do it alone.

Rick

I've heard the same thing from every leo I've known and spoken with
    "The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." --Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I know many people in LE and the ones I know all feel this same way. Thugs don't commit violent crimes in front of the police station. They need to learn that they can't commit them in our presence either.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Moderator
    That doesn't surprise me at all.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

An honest LEO does not have to fear an honest (CCW) citizen...only the BG's need fear the honest citizen with a weapon.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    An honest LEO does not have to fear an honest (CCW) citizen...only the BG's need fear the honest citizen with a weapon.
    Amen
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    Wish others would see this
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

I'm a police officer that also feels that law abiding citizens should carry. Unfortunately, I've worked with some fellas that think only the police should carry. Ya can't change everyones mind.

I must say that I also believe that ANYONE who carrys should receive some sort of training in both the use of a firearm and the retention of a firearm.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    Always encouraging to hear LEO reiterate the truth . Maybe one day Illinois will come around to our way of thinking.
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Quote Originally Posted by preachertim View Post
    Always encouraging to hear LEO reiterate the truth . Maybe one day Illinois will come around to our way of thinking.
    and Wisconsin
    "The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun." --Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    He also said that basically EVERY LEO he know wishes the law abiding citizen in his state had the right legalized to carry...he said it would make his job much easier and safer...
    If every single state assents to Second Amendment in affirming the right to own and bear arms, including CA, Illinois, NJ, D.C. and NY, the crime would go down steeply.

And it would save the hell of a lot of tax dollars for the particularly populated states that have to spend a huge portion of the budget on law enforcement to combat crime.

It's dumb logic for the bleeding blue states to splurge on more police resources when abolishing the unreasonable gun control laws could do the trick to give LEO relief as good citizens and police work together to wipe out crime.

Chicago would be nearly crime-free in six months after Illinois abolishes its ridiculous gun control laws, including FOID big brother licensing and handgun/concealed carry ban. Alas, Chicago/Illinois state is ruled by corrupt Tammany Hall-style politics.

As much as the Brady bunch tries to spin it this officer is actually pretty typical! One of the big problems is that in most jurisdictions of any size the chief is a political appointee who serves at the pleasure of the mayor/county executive what have you. Being in a position like that they are not exactly free to speak their minds. I personally know officers that have been ordered to dress in their class "A" uniform and stand at attention in front of the cameras behind politicians that were talking about stuff the officers didn't agree with. Of course they were there on a "protective detail" and were not authorized to speak to the media. But the politician was talking about law enforcement was behind him on the issue.....
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Agreed

The responsible thing to do is to learn how to carry and when to use it. If everyone that was willing to do so actually did, then yes, aggressive crimes would significantly decrease.

The problem is that people who know they couldn't do it can't imagine that there are those of us who can.

This is a great thread.....I wondered if I might pose a couple questions here though.
    I agree with the carrying with training ideal, but I'm opposed to legislating that requirement, anyone with me?

Also, I've seen on another forum a lot of LEO's chastising citizens who carry, saying they're not in danger during their day, and it's not their job to do that. have any of you heard of such a thing?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links