Compromising your concealment

This is a discussion on Compromising your concealment within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just wondering if there is anything particular that almost on a regular basis that gives it away for you. Location of where you wear your ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compromising your concealment

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar

Just wondering if there is anything particular that almost on a regular basis that gives it away for you. Location of where you wear your firearm, The size or weight of the Gun? I know that there is not perfection for everyone in this area but I really like for it to go unnoticed on me. I have gotten better at concealing my Kahr CW40 and right now I wear it IWB @ 3:00 straight up and down. NO Cant, low to the belt line and parralell to the belt.. Anyway because I am a big guy I can conceal it pretty easy but the Gun fits a tad small for my hands but has seemed to be the best compromise I can Make, so what I Did was Added a Pearce Mag Extension. Fit my hand so much better but noticed it on myself a little more in the mirror. Seems to print a little more than usual. Those mag extensions seem to be great for the hand but bad because it adds a little extra lenght. Maybe I am just looking for an excuse to Gun Shop!Seems like I almost have it where I want it but never satisfied. Am I Paranoid or do others keep having the same battle as me? Any tips would be helpful. Thanks
    Last edited by preachertim; December 21st, 2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: grammar
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Canting the gun would help. The length of the grip is always the difficult part. If you can angle it upward, you remove much of the horizontal measurement.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I have Pearce extension on my XD9sc and have not notice them causing any increase in printing. I carry in a Crossbreed Quickclip at 3:30 with a slight forward cant. I am also in almost daily contact with various LEO and Executive Protection type folks. Haven't caused any of these folks any concern yet.
    NRA Life Member

The thing is that YOU know where it is and can totaly see it...but the avg.

Sheep aren't looking for the printing of a gun and most likely will never notice it. To them it's just a fold/rinkle in the shirt...maybe a cell phone.

Just think....to them, ur just another person, and won't necessarly(sp) "SCAN" you for a gun or the printing of one. I wouldn't worry to much 'bout it.

Yes I have the same battle ALL the time.....but I just comfort myself that most aren't looking, or concerning themselves looking for a person concealing a weapon...they are mostly into their own business.

Though I keep it concealed as much as possible...and with comfort.

Administrator
    Ditto AZHusker. Increase the forward cant.

I usually use an IWB holster at 3:30...the Kimber Ultra's shorter grip make concealment pretty easy. Lately, I have been using a 'palm out' SOB (worn over the kidney not spine) at 5:00. This allows even easier concealment and I can draw the firearm just as quickly as at 3:30.
    A 15-20 degree cant will make a big difference in concealment.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Tim, I think most of the world is so self centered, most of us are as incognito as one crow on a power line among 100 others. I will get looks in public with my sweetie, but she is 4'11", and I'm 6'3", so I've gotten used to that. Any more, I just go for covered, not invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by ICTsnub View Post
    Tim, I think most of the world is so self centered, most of us are as incognito as one crow on a power line among 100 others. I will get looks in public with my sweetie, but she is 4'11", and I'm 6'3", so I've gotten used to that. Any more, I just go for covered, not invisible.
    +1

I carry a Glock 26 mostly beacause my "Dunlap" pushes a longer grip out to far to hide. I tried grip extensions but to me they printed to much for my taste. Try keeping the gun at 3:30 and using some cant. I try to decieve the eyes of other people by carrying an extra mag in a holder on my weak side just behind my cell phone which I carry at 3:00. That tends to stick out more. You probably will even fool yourself.Belieeve me you see the print way more than anybody else.
    Question Everything!

for us here in AR, we have a STUPID law that requires that we inform the occupant of a dwelling that we are armed, thus compromising our concealment. If that "occupant" can't keep a secret, then everybody knows.
    "Brains before Bullets"

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    for us here in AR, we have a STUPID law that requires that we inform the occupant of a dwelling that we are armed, thus compromising our concealment. If that "occupant" can't keep a secret, then everybody knows.
    Same is true for Alaska. That is why all my friends know I carry, and I almost never enter a house I haven't been to before.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Seems like I almost have it where I want it but never satisfied. Am I Paranoid or do others keep having the same battle as me?
    I would suspect that we have all have had your concern to one degree or another. My personal experience (and observation) is that most people are so concerned about themselves that they won't nesessarily notice even a poorly concealed / printing gun, unless we are doing something to draw attention to it or ourself (it's often times our figeting and nervousness that makes those around us become wary & take notice). IMHO, once we become what I like to call "carry comfortable", and begin to treat our gun as a part of us that belongs (like any essential body part), we will worry less, will be confident and relaxed, and even if someone happens to notice (or we accidentally uncover), they will most likely assume it belongs (LEO, under cover, etc.), as opposed to assuming that we are intent on causing them harm. For me, becoming "carry comfortable" was an awakening. When I first started carrying (as I suspect that many do) I was of a mind set that I had to "invisable carry" (not even a slight print or hint was acceptable). Accordingly, I wore only IWB rigs and instant access (at least for me) became questionable at best. I now have come to the point where I feel comfortable with "adequately covered" carry. While I certainly don't go out of my way to uncover or print, I no longer worry that everyone (or anyone for that matter) is spending any time looking at me for the purpose of detemining if I am carrying a gun.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Most of the general public really is oblivious to our carry. I've never been called on it by someone that even knows I carry regularly. As a matter of courteousy, I always leave it in the truck when I visit a home where the owner has not explicitly told me I can carry in their home. Once I get that permission, they never seem to notice when I do carry. And everyone I've requested permission from, has always agreed, usually enthusiastically so. Seems most folks like having free protection around in their homes. You will get more comfortable with it over time.
    SE Texas Patriot Guard Rider, NRA Patron, TSRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Like others have said, a forward cant will help hide the grip better and also affords better draw angle.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Canting the gun would help. The length of the grip is always the difficult part. If you can angle it upward, you remove much of the horizontal measurement.
    I have to agree with the above. I carry in a G23 in a MTAC Minatour IWB at 3:00 O'clock. I have it canted forward and it does seem to print much less that way. It also helps me to draw the weapon faster as well.

I tried two full size glocks in my holster, the G22 and G35. I could carry both pretty much as easily as my 23 as far as printing goes. The other posters are correct about the sheeple not looking for a gun printing. One thing I think that helps me is I get my pants with the stretchy things in the waist band. My wife calls them my fat pants. They do work great for carrying though.

Once you get comfortable carrying, you won't be worried about it any more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links