Observations of the Concealed Carry Classes.

This is a discussion on Observations of the Concealed Carry Classes. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, we have already filled up our Concealed Handgun License class for the month of January. Past history of doing classes for the last 12 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observations of the Concealed Carry Classes.

Senior Moderator

Observations of the Concealed Carry Classes.

Well, we have already filled up our Concealed Handgun License class for the month of January.

Past history of doing classes for the last 12 years would show maybe a dozen people siging up the week before the class date and the last two days before the class when it would usually fill up.

We like to limit our classes to 40, with allowance for 10 walk ins for a total of 50 each class. Fifty is a pretty good load, but the last year the classes have been pretty much full.

I was just informed yesterday, that our Feburary class is already full.

So, yesterday I made provisions to have a March class and so far today,I have 9 people signed up.

I have done several private lessons with people lately and I keep hearing the same thing.They fear for the future and they dont want to wait any longer.

Any of you instructors out there noticing the same trend? How about you people that just recently got your permits. Without getting to political, can you elaborate why?

Remember, no politics, no name calling. I just want to see if this trend is common everywhere.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

That sounds exactly like what's happening at the range I got my CWP. They are booked up and even their classes other than CCW are growing.

I know that individuals in our school who are scrambling to get into a CCW class are finding waiting lists...that's a first that I've noticed.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Though not an instructor, since the election I have had a bunch of people ask me about how to get a CCW. Some of them I didn't even know, they were being referred by a friend of a friend who said to ask me! So much for "NEVER tell".
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Administrator
    Yeah, its like that here too. I've been asked to come out of "retirement" to help out.

I do private stuff, one or two people at a time. I can do one of those everyday if I wanted to or had the time too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Its the same in Texas too.......All of a sudden people now worried....I guess that it's more important to have it as a status symbol and not a way to protect themselves or they would have done it years ago..
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Back on December 11th I went to complete my training to become an instructor here in Kentucky. Had to assist the trainer with his paperwork and teach just a few minutes of the CCDW class to the students. Well, he told me that within 24 hours of the election results he had 60 people email him telling him that they wanted to take the class. He said he just couldn't believe it. He's adding classes to his schedule as fast as he can.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Well, I got on the ball and did my certificate of training this past Saturday and sent in my re-application to ASP today. Some 77 days in advance of my current expiration. Just figuring on a huge influx of applications going through the red tape in the near future. Hoping for the best, I expect to see my new one by February sometime. Hope renewal apps go through a little faster than first-timers.

Senior Moderator
    Dont count on it RamRod.
    They have been running a bit slow lately...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Dont count on it RamRod.
    They have been running a bit slow lately...
    Well, these days it's just wishful thinking.....can't really count on anything. I usually elicit Steve's (my instructor) input on the current demographics of the process, but I was in sort of a rush the other night. Sent my app registered mail, so I can know when it gets there. I would suggest anyone mailing in their application do this to have a record of it. I actually didn't know that one's permit could actually expire and still do a renewal (within six months after)...but if it does, it's an extra $15. I'd never want my permit to expire. Steve Sturm is a great guy......you know him HotGuns? I think I'm glad to have him as my instructor, and even though I could go to any instructor to re-qualify, I'll continue to go to him to do it.

Here in Mass I was very surprised to see my wife's class packed full this past fall. I had expected to see little interest and just a handful of people in this super liberal state of sheep.
    I was able to sit in on her class, she was a bit nervy and needed support. Thought the class was overfull but glad to see the enthusiasm and numbers.
    Able to talk to many of the attendees and the consensus was the world is becoming a scary place.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I don't know about class sizes here(KS), but I have seen a lot more women buying. I mean a lot more. Today at the range, we saw a 40ish woman buying a SKS. And I like it. I think the next time a woman defends herself around here with a newly purchased gun, we need to have a parade.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

My class back in November was packed to the gills. I signed up only because I wanted to carry personal protection. Think there's a mad rush to get a CCW now for the same reason the peg boards are bare in every local gun store: get it now or you may not get a chance next year.
    HK45c V1

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    I have wanted to get my permit since 2004 when Ohio came out with it, but the laws and some restrictions were to hard to deal with. With the passage of the newest laws in our state, things look good, and I have every intention of applying on Dec 31st, my first day off that the sheriff has an open appoitment.
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

I know 3 different CCW instructors here in Colo. They all tell me their enrollment is up 6 fold. Everyone wants to get it done before the inauguration.

Our Sportsman's Warehouse sold every pistol it had by the Saturday after the election and all of it's 9mm, .40 S&W & .45 ACP ammo.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links