Is money the only way to quietly support RKBA?

Is money the only way to quietly support RKBA?

This is a discussion on Is money the only way to quietly support RKBA? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm licensed to carry. Whether I exercise that right is nobody's business. I support your RKBA. Now, the question: how can I best support our ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is money the only way to quietly support RKBA?

Question Is money the only way to quietly support RKBA?

I'm licensed to carry. Whether I exercise that right is nobody's business.

I support your RKBA. Now, the question: how can I best support our RKBA without disclosing that I may carry? NRA-ILA?

How do I make clear our position without 'going public?'

How do you?

VIP Member
    You don't want anybody to know as in "not even my representative"?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Every year I write my state representatives thanking them for my CCW license. I get a note back from each one every time.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Blah.

If I am reading your statement correctly, you state that you are supporting the BoR, all of them, without prejudice. #2 just happens to be under a lot of scrutiny and you feel the organizations in place need the financial support to keep the status quo (sp).

"If I don't fight to defend you now, who will fight to defend me when you are gone?" to paraphrase a short story with a moral that I wish I could find the whole thing.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

And don't forget to 'quietly' train and practice responsible habits so that you don't wind up as a public example of what NOT to do because of an AD, wild shot, or some other tragedy.

Brian

I respect that it's nobodies business but your own if you carry or not. I'm glad you have your permit to carry, I believe every law abiding person should be able to. Now you can call or write your elected representative and I urge you to. Not just on gun rights , but cable tv prices, oil prices etc.. That's what I do and don't spend a dime. They need to be reminded who they work for. Now I'm not quite sure, but I don't think that it's made public. Unless, you decide to make it public, it stays between you and them. I know alot of people who support the RKBA and aren't NRA members. That's their right and choice. I hope I helped with the discussion, was kind of confused by the topic.

VIP Member
    From other activities in my life I have learned that the best way to use money is to support a candidate with whom you generally agree, give enough that you get invited to his/her events, and work as a volunteer on their campaign. With time, you will get opportunities to give your opinion at a time and in a manner which will make it count. Politicians do what their supporters want.
    And you aren't really a supporter if all you do is talk and vote--if it is convenient.

Even if you don't have money to give, each Congresscritter must constantly run for office--and that requires both money and volunteers. Little favors like putting up lawn signs, making phone calls, can get you the opportunity to make your voice heard.

Senior Moderator
    I write letters and send money.
    During the course of this last calendar year, I've probably 300-400 emails and letters over various issues. I've also sent money to 5 or 6 political causes.
    If you don't become proactive, don't complain.

Stay armed...take steps to remain that way...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Assistant Administrator
    I can no longer really afford to make monetary contributions to RKBA aspects but - the one thing we can all do with no expense is educate. Whether by emailing pro material to disseminate information or just on a personal level - trying to get ''the message'' across.

Every one person we ''convert'' - or at least get to see sense is another who may help further spread the word. It is tho as always an uphill battle.

There is a very important film out - available for view or download ... anyone who has not seen it should - and pass it on.

No cost and all this can be done with no admission to anyone that you carry..
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

how can I best support our RKBA without disclosing that I may carry? NRA-ILA?
    Not to be harsh or anything, but here is how I see it...

Few people other than yourself care about the fact that you carry. Get past that and be comfortable with it. That doesn't mean telling anyone, it just means not worrying about the fact.

Once you get past that, then volunteer your time. It can be subtle, such as becoming an Instructor for a state sponsored Hunter Safety Course, with a clear emphasis on supporting the right to bear arms. Young men wanting to satisfy the requirement so that they can hunt, need to hear about it.

Become a Concealed Handgun Instructor, and help others to get theirs. Educate them, teach them the proper way to handle firearms, show them the ropes. If you don't want to do that, become a member of the local gun club and volunteer your time there, there are always plenty of things to do and they will be glad for the help.

People that are afraid of what other people think or say never got anything done.This country was not founded or improved upon by timid men. Don't be one of the people that thinks they are doing great things by throwing a bit of money around, instead get out and DO something.

We are rapidly coming to a point in time that being a "silent supporter" just isn't going to cut it any longer.

If you aren't willing to stand up and become part of the solution, then you are no different from anyone else that is just part of the problem.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I write letters and send money.
    During the course of this last calendar year, I've probably 300-400 emails and letters over various issues. I've also sent money to 5 or 6 political causes.
    If you don't become proactive, don't complain.
    Go get'em. I do this as well for many different causes. Some of my other groups keep a list of contacts for all members to view. Maybe this site should compile email/snail mail addresses for individuals or organizations that can further our cause, or need educated. Hopefully we all know our local representatives, but a broader list would be helpful. Any thoughts?

I am not sure what you really mean by going public. Do you mean you don't want to put stickers and signs up that indicate you support RKBA or that you don't want to personally speak or correspond with people on the subject?

Personally, I don't paste any kind of sticker on my cars. None. I don't advertise for anybody or put out my opinions. I will talk to anyone about the RKBA on a moments notice. I write to my representatives, and I call my representatives a lot on any and every issue. I support the NRA and the NRA-ILA, not as much as they would like, but I do.

Money to the NRA or GOA or any of the RKBA organizations helps. Volunteering to do some of the things mentioned helps too. Anything that will put a level-headed pro-RKBA person in the presence of a legislator, no matter how high level or low level, is a good thing. Teaching others, formally or informally, that is a great thing.

You have the right idea. You know you need to do something. The more you can do, the better. I finally realized a couple years ago that the reason the majority in this country are no longer determining the course of our nation is because the minority groups (not racial, but fringe or special interest) are vocal. They scream and yell and advertise and get in people's faces and have letter writing campaigns and make themselves the squeaky wheel that gets attention. If we really want to keep our rights we have to become more active. We cannot rest upon the strength of our fundamental right to keep and bear arms for self defense and defense of liberty. Politicians don't really seem to be interested in defending our rights, just defending their seat at the political dinner table.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

First, thanks to all.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Once you get past that, then volunteer your time. It can be subtle, such as becoming an Instructor for a state sponsored Hunter Safety Course, with a clear emphasis on supporting the right to bear arms. ...
    Thanks. This I can heartily do. Hunting is one of the great traditions I deeply enjoy, and a training facility for hunter safety instructors is less than an hour from home.

In my conversation with guests at our club/range, it's easy to tell them to get licensed for carry, even if they never intend to carry concealed, because (per Gutmacher) that license can turn an accidental knife-in-pocket-at-school-bus-stop felony into a $25 fine. I give away my old edition (to someone on the fence) when a new one is printed. [I know doggone well that anyone who gets a license is going to carry sooner or later, and her frequency will increase over time, making our streets just that much safer.]

Don't think I'll become a Concealed Handgun Instructor (that would seem to imply, rather strongly, that one carries) but will look into teaching marksmanship. My club is affiliated with CMP, so that would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctype View Post
    Unless, you decide to make it public, it stays between you and them. I know alot of people who support the RKBA and aren't NRA members. That's their right and choice. I hope I helped with the discussion, was kind of confused by the topic.
    We have government "in the Sunshine" (except the Jax city council, but that's another story) so anything I send them in writing is a matter of public record, but I may start attending some of the dinners/meetings to get a rep or staff member's ear. Unless they note both my name and the subject, it will be off the record.

As for a few other comments, please limit assumptions. I know for many of you this is not even a question, so it may be difficult to understand my reluctance to become publicly known as a licensee. I won't try to explain it except to say that when I had Jeb Bush in Tallahassee and his brother in DC, I didn't feel the need to do anything special to promote our rights. Now I perceive a need to become more involved, and wondered how to do so without implying that I may be carrying. I spent more than two decades, the bulk of which outside this country, silently defending our freedom from communists and reducing the influence of drug cartels. I was not special ops, but among some others in service "doing things that never happened with teams that don't exist in places we never were." I learned that stealth is not the absence of valor.

The minimum for all gun owners, is membership in NRA. Even if you don't agree with all of their past actions, or who they've gone to bed with to get certain legislation passed, they are the number one voice for gun owners in the United States. Second, join a grass roots gun rights organization in your state. NRA is strong at the national level, not so much at the state level, so you need to be an active member of a group that is lobbying your state legislators to pass gun-friendly laws and repeal anti-gun laws. Third, become a spokesman for gun rights. Be familiar with the issues and know how to argue against common anti-gun statements. None of these activities has anything to do with telling anyone that you carry concealed.

Take people to the range to have them learn and love the shooting sports. It is the easiest way to make a difference.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links