Fat guy ccw

Fat guy ccw

This is a discussion on Fat guy ccw within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay! Here is the situation. I'm 5' 10" and currently weighing in at 290lbs, 20 pounds heavier than I've ever been in my life. According ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat guy ccw

Unhappy Fat guy ccw

Okay! Here is the situation. I'm 5' 10" and currently weighing in at 290lbs, 20 pounds heavier than I've ever been in my life. According to the VA Docs, if I want to make it to 55 (I'm just 51.5, now) I need Bariatric surgery which means GASTRIC BYPASS. My case is too severe for the lap band. My docs are dead serious and so I took them seriously, discovered my insurance will cover the procedure and I'm now in the stages of getting the groundwork done in all the tests. etc etc.

The critical thing here is not the fat. It's the congestive heart failure I'm suffering. The severe sleep apnea. The fatty liver and the looming threat of Diabetes. I'm a wreck and I refuse to continue without taking decisive action.

BUT.....

All my pants are too tight. I have purchased just two pairs of pants that do fit but even they don't really allow for IWB ccw. That is my favorite mode of carry here in south Florida. Almost all my holsters are for IWB. Fortunately it's the winter season but even that seems to be fairly warm for now. 70s today. It's too expensive to buy a whole new wardrobe when my surgery is looming. The weight is going to fall off after that (if I do MY part and trust me I WILL) But once the weight DOES come off, I'll be buying a newer wardrobe and I can then fit my ccw requirements into that.

For now, the sheer weight of my Sig P226 + a spare mag + usually a knife and a SureFire light if it's dark is very taxing on me. I can't walk very far in the rig without stopping frequently to catch my wind. This is compounded by the certainty that in a worsening economy, crime is going to skyrocket and that fear is proving true in my own peaceful neighborhood just in the last several weeks. I've been carrying my S&W M642 in a Mika pocket holster and while I feel adequately armed for a mugging at contact range (nearly) that's not the threat I dress for in the era of Mumbai.

My question to this great group is this: I need suggestions and links on how to carry an H&K P30 and a spare mag in reasonable comfort while I await my surgery that does not require an increase in my wardrobe. I know this is all very subjective, but I'm feeling increasingly apprehensive as time wears on. Sort of like waiting for the other shoe to drop (sorry, GWB). Does anybody have any experience with the Kramer undershirt that doubles as a holster? Would it hold the P30 snugly yet still be accessible and concealed? Do they belly bands to go around a 46 inch waist? Is that a good idea? I think the H&K is going to remain my EDC gun where possible. I love the Sig P226 but it's just too heavy for me until my health improves. Any suggestions? Give me links if possible, too.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Good luck on your surgery...I just finished my 3 month requirement to have the lap band. Hoping for surgery mid january...I do have diabetes and heart problems but I honestly believe that the lap band is enough and if you follow the requirments I should loose my weight too plus my diabetis(insulin) will stop right away.
    I carry a s&w642 in a owb holster and sometimes a glock 23 owb and have no problem with them....I use a don hume for the glock and a galco for the smith.
    I also am 5'10 at 282 lbs
    Last edited by denverbear; December 23rd, 2008 at 01:14 AM. Reason: change
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Being 430 lbs (going down because of the vertical gastric sleeve) I carry a 1911 in both a IWB and OWB. I have a horizontal mag holder for the spare mag. I"ve gone to a longer t-shirt to make sure it covers. That maybe the best you can do right now. Cover shirts are going to be your best bet for right now.

As far as the undershirt you were talking about I don't know.

(although right now I'm just lugging a Ruger LCP because I don't really want my jeans tight around the surgical wound.)
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Have you considered off-body carry? Say, in a murse or a Day-Planner type case?

Good luck to you as well!

Quote Originally Posted by denverbear View Post
    Good luck on your surgery...I just finished my 3 month requirement to have the lap band. Hoping for surgery mid january...I do have diabetes and heart problems but I honestly believe that the lap band is enough and if you follow the requirments I should loose my weight too plus my diabetis(insulin) will stop right away.
    I carry a s&w642 in a owb holster and sometimes a glock 23 owb and have no problem with them....I use a don hume for the glock and a galco for the smith.
    I also am 5'10 at 282 lbs
    Good luck on your surgery! Please keep me posted, okay? What is your cover garment, if I might ask? What's the weather where you are now? Cold weather always makes for easier ccw IMHO. Hot weather is more of a bear .... lol.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Dang, I feel for you, I've picked up some weight, and my only OWB is for my Smith 640. The Colts, and all the fancy leather are getting lonely. Guess what the new year brings for me.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Talking Great Idea! +1

Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    Have you considered off-body carry? Say, in a murse or a Day-Planner type case?
    Actually I DO have a "belly bag" but I don't know if it will fit the P30. I also have a Maxpedition Jumbo versa-pak I keep as a B.O.B in my car for trips.

VIP Member
    For now, the sheer weight of my Sig P226 + a spare mag + usually a knife and a SureFire light if it's dark is very taxing on me. I can't walk very far in the rig without stopping frequently to catch my wind
    OK the issue here is carry weight more than clothing. I would think you should switch to a lighter gun. According to SIG, a P226 weighs 34 Oz. loaded so you may want to get something lighter like a Glock 26 (26 oz loaded). The additional mag will also be lighter and you may also want to switch to a Nitrolon G2 (all plastic) as light and why not go with a Boker Subcom for knife?

As for clothing:

Travel Vest from SCOTTEVEST/SeV - Men's Vests - Black Vest for Men

Concealed Carry Clothiers - Providing quality Vests for Travel and Concealed Carry, Accessories, Concealment Clothes, Gun Belts, Vest
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Check out the cell pal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxtv1KQimis

never used it personally, but as a fat guy myself, I have considered it.

I just carry IWB and buy 40" pants instead of 38"s. With a modified holster originally designed for a 4" GP100, I carry the 3" GP100 and the grip sits a little lower, just at the belt line. Keeps the grip from digging into the love handles and keeps barrel from digging into your thigh.

The good thing about being a big guy is that I can conceal just about anything. I can keep my 18" 12ga on me and no one knows.

Good luck!
    Last edited by AVIVIII; December 23rd, 2008 at 01:55 AM. Reason: i guess you cant imbed you tube here??

Ex, is there a health reason that you could not lose the weight without having surgery? i.e. exercise and a better diet?

5 foot 10 and 290 pounds is not as bad as I was at 5 foot 8 and 325 pounds and I took off 160 pounds in 9 months just with cardio exercise and a much healthier diet.

I understand the congestive heart problems, but has the Doc told you that exercise is out of the question for you?

If you want to talk about it (weight loss without major surgery) just PM me.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

ExSoldier,

No one has suggested it yet, but why not give a fanny pack a try?
    I have one that I have used once in a while. Now I do not wear it often, but when I do, it provides a quick and easy draw and I don't have to worry about my clothing choices.

Here in Central Florida I have seen quite a few fanny packs and I did not assume 'gun' each time I saw one. It could make life a lot simpler for you and still allow you to carry your present sidearm. Set up the correct way, the draw can be lightening quick.

The area coordinator for FL IDPA works out of a gun shop in Leesburg. He was an Ohio PD of some sort. I took a couple of SD pistol courses from him. His main carry mode was a fanny pack for his Glock (9mm)...on the range, he could draw his Glock and fire, from his fanny pack, in a blur...very fast.

Trying a good fanny pack made for a firearm would be a lot cheaper than purchasing extra clothing and especially cheaper than buying an additional gun.

I'm not a slim guy myself, but I am trying the 'more exercise' route...I very much dislike having to hold my breath to put on my socks. I understand a little about your concerns.

Take care, and I wish you well.

A fellow Floridian, and high school teacher (my retired job).

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Hi Ex.
    You might want to consider a high quality shoulder rig.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    This might aid in helping you find a rig that fits your needs. Good luck bro.

Concealed Carry Holsters by Blackhawk
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

fanny pack will work. you see lots of them in florida. you can buy the ones that are from the holster makers, but they said "gun". or you can go to wallie mart and get a fanny pack that does not say "gun".
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Ex,
    One of the smaller Maxpedition belt bags might work, and be more versatile than the standard fanny-bag. Something like one of these: Waistpacks - MAXPEDITION HARD-USE GEAR® (Primary innovator and premier manufacturer of outdoor, hunting and tactical nylon gear) (I use an M1, as the "accessory bag" for a 239)

Walmart sells Industrial Velcro, adhesive backed, that can be pasted semi-permanently to the inside of these (or most other bags), and used with a modular, velcro-compatible pancake holster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links