Defensive Carry banner

Got an interesting letter from the Sheriff

4K views 39 replies 28 participants last post by  Harleygirl 
#1 ·
My wife and I both have CHL's in Oregon, and she received a letter from the sheriff the other day stating that there was increased pressure from organizations attempting to collect all the names and personal information of CHL holders in our county/city. It went on to say that they were denied, the sheriff felt it should remain private, and at the end was a two question portion (that we sent back to the sheriff's office) asking basically if we wanted to give up our personal information. She of course answered accordingly. Weirdly enough, I never recieved a letter...

There was also a part that said a neighboring county was sued for CHL information of its holders and won. It then said they were appealing.

Wonder what this was all about. Another day in the continuous stuggle for gun rights?

Sorry if this is similar or repeat news.

#2 ·
Maybe you didn't get a letter because they only surveyed a portion or total permit holders? It would be time and money consuming to mail every person with a permit.

#3 ·
Our state has a FOI (freedom of information act). As of now, CHL holders list are public information through the issuing authority. I heard there was a sort of movement to make all those records private, but I haven't heard about it in a while. If your state hasn't made the records specifically private, and has a FOIA, then sooner or later, those public records will more than likely have to be turned over to the requester for whatever reason so long as the filing of petition for information follows the guidelines. I've requested a partial listing for my state on the order of four counties including the one I reside in just to see how easy it was. It might worry me to know for what purpose someone would request this information and how it would be used. It could very well be published in the local media with no legal ramifications. Making CHL holder public lists private would also close some Pro 2A networks and information as this is the way they also find pro 2A citizens to contact and inform. I'd be interested to see if other places around the country are getting similar requests for CHL holder lists. If it's widespread, it would be something to be alarmed about in my opinion.

#4 ·
#20 · (Edited)
Thanks for that video. It was very interesting, but maddening. Why is it that newspapers always think our 1st amendment rights supercede our 2st amendment rights? It doesn't make sense.

I really don't think it matters why you didn't get a letter - I think the most important factor here is that your wife DID. The whole idea is outrageous.

Ok done now...

#5 ·
Not sure, but some places will look at the number of people in the same house hold and only mail one to that address. Its a why to get it out but also save a little money.

#11 ·
The data is public in Florida, but not easily accessible. The application for a CWL list a few cases that make it possible to mark a record as non public (I think it is judges and law enforcement ... in Florida it is illegal to publish the address of LEOs).

actually just double checked for FL. And it says "Personal identifying information pertaining to a Concealed Weapon or Firearm license. ". The department of licensing website allows you to lookup licenses by name, but CWL do not show up.

#27 ·
Correct-o-mundo...basically, it private info, and it's not going to be in the newspapers any more.:hand10:

#15 ·
This has been ongoing in Oregon for a while. The various Sheriff departments around the state have been sending these letters out since the Judge in the case in southern Oregon had issued his verdict. The Judge had decreed that since the people had not stated that the permit was for self defence and that they had not stated that they didn't want their info released that the information could be released. This is why the Sheriffs around the state issued the letters to cover the permit holders. You might notify the Sheriffs Office and question why you didn't recieve a letter, it was probably an oversight, it was my understanding that all permit holders were going to recieve a letter.

#16 ·
Happily Texas keeps this stuff private.

#18 ·
Thanks for all the responses, I did contact the sheriff's office yesterday and they replied today saying I was indeed supposed to get a message. Yeah, that link Cap'n posted is pretty much exactly what we received. Sorry for the repeat!

#19 ·
Colorado was not supposed to have a list, it does. It still is not public, only shows up to the LE agencies, right next to the felons, wants & warrants, persons of interest.

At one point a long time ago, in the before time, the local newspapers published the names and addresses of all CC permit holders. We were a may issue state then so it was mostly cronies, the rich, and a few that legitimately needed it (Emergency issuance) by their standards.

#22 ·
Kansas made it so that CCL information is NOT public. The minute they passed the law some wanted "lists" of anyone who applied, so the Legislature went back in and made it so they were "private" information.

I still don't know what having the list would do for anyone ..... if a paper ever published the list , I know I would be suing them.

#26 ·
You sure about that. From what I understand, it is the CBI that is making the list from CC applications , not the sheriffs turning in the info. The list is not NICS, just CBI, and comes up when a LEO runs your plate.

#37 ·
Received the same letter (Lane County). Did notice a bit in the RegGuard (local paper) about only sending out 4000 letters where Lane Co has over 10,000 CHL's issued. Might be why you did not get one and the other half did...

#38 ·
Wow, it came today...well, probably yesterday, although I saw the mailman delivering mail today on Christmas... :blink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.