Got an interesting letter from the Sheriff

This is a discussion on Got an interesting letter from the Sheriff within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife and I both have CHL's in Oregon, and she received a letter from the sheriff the other day stating that there was increased ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My wife and I both have CHL's in Oregon, and she received a letter from the sheriff the other day stating that there was increased pressure from organizations attempting to collect all the names and personal information of CHL holders in our county/city. It went on to say that they were denied, the sheriff felt it should remain private, and at the end was a two question portion (that we sent back to the sheriff's office) asking basically if we wanted to give up our personal information. She of course answered accordingly. Weirdly enough, I never recieved a letter...

There was also a part that said a neighboring county was sued for CHL information of its holders and won. It then said they were appealing.

Wonder what this was all about. Another day in the continuous stuggle for gun rights?

Sorry if this is similar or repeat news.
    It is utterly illogical to believe that passing laws to reduce gun violence will be successful when those who are commiting the gun violence do not obey the law.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Maybe you didn't get a letter because they only surveyed a portion or total permit holders? It would be time and money consuming to mail every person with a permit.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Our state has a FOI (freedom of information act). As of now, CHL holders list are public information through the issuing authority. I heard there was a sort of movement to make all those records private, but I haven't heard about it in a while. If your state hasn't made the records specifically private, and has a FOIA, then sooner or later, those public records will more than likely have to be turned over to the requester for whatever reason so long as the filing of petition for information follows the guidelines. I've requested a partial listing for my state on the order of four counties including the one I reside in just to see how easy it was. It might worry me to know for what purpose someone would request this information and how it would be used. It could very well be published in the local media with no legal ramifications. Making CHL holder public lists private would also close some Pro 2A networks and information as this is the way they also find pro 2A citizens to contact and inform. I'd be interested to see if other places around the country are getting similar requests for CHL holder lists. If it's widespread, it would be something to be alarmed about in my opinion.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    YouTube - CNN Piece on VCDL and Roanoke Times Exposing VA CHP Data

In VA with the FOIA, there was actually a newspaper that printed names and addresses of CCW holders.

One of the guys in the video says "personal privacy vs the peoples right to know". If the people had a right to know I carry, it wouldn't be concealed.

Not sure, but some places will look at the number of people in the same house hold and only mail one to that address. Its a why to get it out but also save a little money.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    SC does not have that but the gov signed a law to outlaw that.
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Zach and Holly View Post
    Weirdly enough, I never recieved a letter...
    They probably searched their database by address, and seeing how your name is Zach and hers is Holly, she was the first name that came up for your address, and the computer chose her name to send the letter to.
    "Just blame Sixto"

1943 - 2009
    There was an earlier thread about this.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...l-holders.html

Just FYI.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

In Iowa several local papers print the CCW permit holder names. In one county they do a monthly update! Thankfully ours does not, but it is widely viewed with contempt by the folks who are 'outed'.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    In Iowa several local papers print the CCW permit holder names. In one county they do a monthly update! Thankfully ours does not, but it is widely viewed with contempt by the folks who are 'outed'.

Dan
    Are you kidding me. Wow.

Florida had a newspaper that published CWL holders names and there was a hugh outcry over it. I think there is a law here that makes it private into.
    NRA Member

The data is public in Florida, but not easily accessible. The application for a CWL list a few cases that make it possible to mark a record as non public (I think it is judges and law enforcement ... in Florida it is illegal to publish the address of LEOs).

actually just double checked for FL. And it says "Personal identifying information pertaining to a Concealed Weapon or Firearm license. ". The department of licensing website allows you to lookup licenses by name, but CWL do not show up.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Quote Originally Posted by XD 45 View Post
    SC does not have that but the gov signed a law to outlaw that.
    Yeah good thing its not public info anymore here.

All about getting folks to wear that little yellow-star armband, isn't it? It's not so bad...

Maybe if everyone that is "outed" in VA reverted to OC, the state and local governments would change their mind and make those records exempt from FOIA disclosure.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

This has been ongoing in Oregon for a while. The various Sheriff departments around the state have been sending these letters out since the Judge in the case in southern Oregon had issued his verdict. The Judge had decreed that since the people had not stated that the permit was for self defence and that they had not stated that they didn't want their info released that the information could be released. This is why the Sheriffs around the state issued the letters to cover the permit holders. You might notify the Sheriffs Office and question why you didn't recieve a letter, it was probably an oversight, it was my understanding that all permit holders were going to recieve a letter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links