Off-Body Carry Concern = Safety?

This is a discussion on Off-Body Carry Concern = Safety? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, here's the situation... Often times having to dress in formal attire, I will be carrying in a tote bag or in a day planner. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off-Body Carry Concern = Safety?

Off-Body Carry Concern = Safety?

Okay, here's the situation...

Often times having to dress in formal attire, I will be carrying in a tote bag or in a day planner. After doing this for some time, however, I'm realizing that in doing so, I'm violating one of the very basic and most important rules in gun safety... "do not point the thing at anything you do not intend to shoot!"

In other words, there is NO WAY I can totally control this thing, bag or day planner, where I know exactly the way the gun is laying inside. At some point, even though as hard as I try, carrying it in a bag or day planner, it's pointing in all different directions.

Let me emphasize, that I do keep it in a safe-carry holster, even when inside these bags. But I still have this concern for "what if?" and an AD.

Anyone else want to chime in here on thoughts, ideas or other solutions?
    Boomer Sooner!

2. Remove Ads

If the gun is in a holster it isn't going to shoot anybody. I would tend to discourage purse or planner carry only because it is far too easy to misplace said item, and thus the gun.
    Some sort of pocket carry would be much more desirable IMHO.

Stay armed...somehow...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sure...I'll tangle with it.
    Do you carry your bag everywhere? I mean even into the bank or the mall? No safety concern for others...but what about you? Think about this.....in the bank or mall (considering there is no guard or security personnel that want to check your CONSPICUOUS 'bag')....what happens when there is an organized hold-up? Everyone put their hands in the air! You drop your bag and are ushered into the back room, or told to bury your head in the nearest wall. Where's your pistol now? If I'm CC'ing IWB.....even with my hands on my head or in the air.....my pistol is still with me and invisible...and I'm thinking that more than likely I'll come out alive one way or another...if I don't, it won't be because I didn't try or not being able to access my weapon.
    P.S.........I can still empty my pockets at the demand and still KEEP my weapon!

Senior Moderator
    I too discourage that kind of carry but I realize that sometimes there is no other option.

Since the gun cannot really come into play quickly anyways, the only truly safe method would be to have the magazine in the gun and leave the chamber empty.This is the only time that I would advocate doing that, but at least it would give you some peace of mind.

If you need it, just pulll it out and rack the slide.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Have you considered a good shoulder holster ?

With the right pistol a quality shoulder rig is very hard to spot.
    bosco

Agreed with retsupt that if it is securely holstered, it's essentially "neutered." There was a thread a while back where someone showed a military guy seated with a pistol in a hip holster -- and thus pointed at the people in front of him. If it's holstered, it's safe. Even on-body, you can have it point. I worked painting/maintenance this summer and I'm sure there were a couple of times when I was pointed at others. But if it's holstered properly, it's safe, and you shouldn't need to carry in condition three.

That said, I agree with RamRod. Carrying it off-body should be avoided if at all possible because of separation dangers. And with my forgetfulness, that would bad news. Additionally, I have carried in a suit before. If you have a tuckable holster, it's very doable -- though without your jacket a pistol the size of my Beretta 92FS is less than subtle.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by bgriffin70 View Post
    Okay, here's the situation...

Often times having to dress in formal attire, I will be carrying in a tote bag or in a day planner. After doing this for some time, however, I'm realizing that in doing so, I'm violating one of the very basic and most important rules in gun safety... "do not point the thing at anything you do not intend to shoot!"
    Not such an issue. Every time I bend over or lean back my gun could be pointing at someone. It's not going to go off while it's in it's holster.

In other words, there is NO WAY I can totally control this thing, bag or day planner, where I know exactly the way the gun is laying inside. At some point, even though as hard as I try, carrying it in a bag or day planner, it's pointing in all different directions.
    Again, the pointing issue isn't such an issue if you ask me. What is an issue is what you've pointed out:

The gun is in bag or day planner. That means it may not be on you, such as when you need two hands. That means you no longer have the gun in your possession. A loaded gun.

Let me emphasize, that I do keep it in a safe-carry holster, even when inside these bags. But I still have this concern for "what if?" and an AD.

I stopped jacket carrying because the gun goes with the jacket. And the jacket does not always go with me. I recommend against "off-body carry" for that reason alone.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Smart Carry. Works great with formal attire.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Formal attire. How about a tuckable IWB holster, smart carry, shoulder holster, t-shirt holster or as a last resort....in my opinion ..... an ankle holster.
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

I'm all for tuckable IWB.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Your post doesn't say, but since your talking about carrying a totebag I am assuming your female. That does change logistics of carry, especially in formal wear. Depending on what the wear is, ie. pant suit, IWB is still an available option. In a dress or skirt, you might want to look at the option of a thigh holster.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I personally will not carry "off body". There is always a way for me to make "on body" carry work. In fact, as much as I want another 1911, I'm buying a scandium J-frame S&W so that I will have a light weight option for summer dress and no excuse for not having a BUG anymore. That's just me.

Ladies, you can carry a small lightweight pistol in a thigh holster when wearing a dress!

There's always a way to keep your weapon on you.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

+1 for a tuckable rig (Crossbreed Supertuck is my preference).

To me, a bigger concern than the muzzle sweeping (assuming your gun is in good mechanical condition and won't just go off if somebody farts) is that, like others have said, it's far too easy to misplace or forget the tote or day-planner, leaving your gun for somebody else to find.

-JT

+1 for crossbreed supertuck. I have mine on right now with shirt tucked and it is invisible even though it is a G30SF!
    There is a bit of deformed waistline around the gun, but if you pull your shirt out a bit it covers part of the belt.

1) always treat every gun as though it is loaded until you verify otherwise
    2) keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot
    3) never point the muzzle at anything you don't want to destroy
    4) know your target and what is behind it

we all know these by heart, we should at least, but the BEAUTY of these rules is that you need to break 2 or more of the rules to ever really be in trouble. if it's holstered, pointing at someone, then only one rule is being broken. No issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links