Nearsightedness and Self-defense?

This is a discussion on Nearsightedness and Self-defense? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been doing a lot of thinking about this lately. I'm VERY nearsighted. Something like 20/1000 in one eye and 20/800 in the other. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've been doing a lot of thinking about this lately. I'm VERY nearsighted. Something like 20/1000 in one eye and 20/800 in the other. I literally can't see anything clearly that's more than five inches from my face unless I'm wearing my glasses. Obviously that's a big problem in a potential SD situation. After a punch to the face or a fall to the pavement that jars my glasses loose, I can no longer effectively identify or hit a target. Does anyone else here have this problem, and if so what have you done to deal with it? I can't think of anything except to start saving for Lasik surgery, or start walking around with goggles on. The only real step I've taken thus far is to make sure my glasses are always on the same spot on the nightstand before I go to bed every night. That way if someone breaks in, I won't have to fumble for them. Hardly a foolproof solution but so far it's the best I've got. All comments are welcome.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Boy thats a Toughy i know Contacts would work for during the day if you could get them but at night your screwed..

Lasik i guess would be the only way to go i guess sorry i cant off better i still have 20/20

Forgot to mention, I wore contacts in the past and while they are an improvement, they're far from perfect. They can be knocked askew just like glasses, it just takes a harder hit. I quit wearing them because my job required me to stare at a computer screen for hours on end. You blink about half as often while looking at a screen as you do normally. This plays havoc on contacts, it feels a lot like having a large rock in your eye.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Hopefully someone can give you some ideals.

I sure dont know and i can see what your saying about not blinking as much my eyes start bothering me (feeling real dry) after 1-2 hours in front of a computer

Lead Moderator
    perhaps contacts during the day and sports glasses or such to don for night time noises.

Assistant Administrator
    I am hypermetropic - partly long sight of old age and often wish I was myopic, but not quite that much!!

To a degree, loss of glasses with medium near sightedness can be useful - certainly for a good sight picture but then the penalty is, indistinct ID aspects re a target.

Re dry eyes at puter - get to my age - mine are too darned wet most of the day!!!

Could well be Lasik is your best option.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I diont think anything can be as frightening as not be able to see. You might want to invest in sport glasses if youre really concerned.
    I think if I was in that same situation, I would try to get the attackers clothing balled up in my left hand while I pulled an edge from my pocket with my right. That way I would know I was gutting the right person. Not many options here.
    You better pray I dont jam, because my backup is a ball peen hammer.

There is another procedure called PRK (photo refractive kerototomy?) that I have heard of. I don't know much about it, but if you do a google on "vision correction" you'll probably be able to find out what you need to know. It seems to me there was also a procedure that used some sort of implants to re-shape the eye - it was supposed to be reversible (remove the implants) in case there was a problem.

I have a friend who tried Ortho keratology (sp?) as he was contemplating an airline pilot career and needed 20/20. That procedure has you wear contacts to reshape your eyes temporarily. I recall he had to wear the contacts for a certain number of hours per day, but could take them out and his vision would be good for a while. That was several years ago, I don't know if the newer procedures have made it obsolete, but it sounds like it might work for you if you could wear the contacts at home and take them out when you went to work, etc.

It is worth noting that some procedures might disqualify you from certain types of work (for example, some flying jobs, I think deep sea diving, etc.). If you have any possibility of changing careers, it might be worth checking to make sure vision correction isn't a problem.

Good luck.

SSKC

VIP Member
    I have extremely bad eyes and wear contacts during the day (I stare at a computer all day, too) and wear my glasses at night. My glasses are 1/4" thick, and those are the special "ultra-thin" lenses.

My eyes dried out a lot for several months when I first got contacts, so I used my Blink! eyedrops a lot. They were fine after I got used to them, and I wear my contacts from 7am to 11pm. It's nice having clear peripheral vision.

I have XSSights Big Dots on my USPc - they're big and great for us poor-sighted people.

If your glasses get knocked off in a fight, the one who knocked it off is now a big, fuzzy silhouette target. Maybe a close-quarters, non-firearm weapon (like a knife) and proper training in that weapon would benefit you, if you're worried about shooting innocent bystanders because you can't clearly see things.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Get laser surgery, you will not regret it. It's like a miracle...

I took my old glasses/contacts/solutions and did a war dance over the trash can

Senior Moderator
    I too was really nearsighted with astigmatism on top of that. I had to wear hard contacts (or glasses) to deal with the astigmatism. At the end of the "RK" era, just before lasik matured, I had RK done on both eyes. That ended nearsightedness and the astigmatism.

About two months ago I had an eye exam and my right eye was better than 20-20 and my left eye wasn't bad. It was still recovering from cataract surgery.

Something that people often don't realize is that lasik cannot correct everything. If you are young, i.e. less than 40 (I know that hurt didn't it) and have lasik done you'll likely have excellent vision both near and far. But as you get older, the lens in the eye gets stiffer and won't focus up close any more. There is no fix for that other than reading glasses, etc.

So, if you are nearsighted, you have really great vision up close but you can't see very far away. If you have lasik surgery, you can gain great vision but you may loose the ability to see up close if you've reached the age where your lens have stiffened and hence have lost a lot of focus range.

My doctor made me aware of this before we did the RK. I wound up with my left eye set for distance and my right for closer up. That works great for me, but it drives some people batty. What you gain by the different focal powers is the ability to read the time from you watch, focus on the front sight of your handgun with one eye, and see distant objects with the other eye.

It works great for me, but as I said, others just can't adjust to it. I understand that some doctors have their patients try the different power idea with contacts before surgery to see if the arrangement is workable with the person.

Administrator

In The Meantime

You should probably carry a spare pair of glasses with you at all times.
    Seems to me as that would be just as important as extra magazines.

Unhappy Aging Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by rocky
    perhaps contacts during the day and sports glasses or such to don for night time noises.
    Yeah, when I was on active duty I bought a set of those "combat glasses" from Brigade Quarter Master and had prescription lenses made to fit. They were UGLY as hell, but with the little "shock absorber" frames and rubber head strap I could use pugil sticks and be safe. Thankfully I just got my latest eye exam and my vision has shifted from nearsighted to far sighted. One good aspect of the aging process at age 49.... Anyway farsighted is good for shooting and bad for reading or computer work.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Roadrunner, I can relate to your problem. I am also very nearsighted (20/200) in the left eye, and 00/00 in the right. It's artifical ,due to a very stupid accident many years ago. In addition to that, I require tri-focals, which compound the focus problems with sighting. I would strongly suggest consulting the very best Doctor available and consider the surgery route. In the meantime, always have replacement glasses available - several pair - and practice close up shooting with the glasses off. Be satisfied with COM hits on a sihouette target. You will be very satisfied with the results after some serious practice. (Example - in Texas a perfect qualifing score for CC license is 250. My three qualifing scores have been 250/250, 250/250 and last year 242/250. If I can do it, YOU CAN TOO.) Practice Practice Practice. One last thing and most important for everyone - wear those safety glasses all the time. They safed my life.

I have the same issue...glasses all my life...contacts are too much of a daily hassle...just keep watching for the latest advancements and price reductions for surgery. That's the only thing I can think of as well. At least you know you're not alone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links