Suggestions or Advice Please

This is a discussion on Suggestions or Advice Please within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i have had chl for almost 2 yrs now and so far only carry if have to go anywhere at night and have to carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions or Advice Please

Suggestions or Advice Please

i have had chl for almost 2 yrs now and so far only carry if have to go anywhere at night and have to carry in purse which is not really very easy to get to.

now for the problem: i have arthritis (hands,shoulders,neck etc) the one i carry is a S&W M60 38 special. i have a little century feg. 32 auto but the safety is a concern for me. i have a IWB holster but that is difficult because of shoulder and wrist movement at times.

anyway was wondering about getting shoulder holster so would be able to cross draw and have better control or a IWB holster that can wear to cross draw.

now i have a ruger blackhawk 44 mag that i use when we go outback to tear up paper but i have a pair of tactical gloves with velcro straps for wrist and back of hand and kevlar(sp) on palm and thumb for recoil. they work great but cant wear them all the time when i go somewhere.

anyway was wondering if anyone else has/had this problem and how they remedied it.

any and all assistance is greatly appreciated

(ps; dont know all the correct terms to use yet)

2. Remove Ads

Having difficulties with movements, I would suggest a good fanny pack made with a holster for your firearm. It's carried in the front or can be worn off center. With some practice, you can present your weapon rather quickly.
    With the right pack, and a color other than black, I don't think it would be an 'obvious gun' statement.
    This would minimize movement on you part. (A shoulder holster would not seem to be of much benefit if you have limited movement.)
    OMO

Stay armed...somehow with comfort...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

First off, welcome from another Texan.

If your range of motion will allow for a shoulder rig then certainly look in to that, same with the IWB you can cross draw.

Good luck and I'm sure some of the members here will be right along with soem actual experience and not just my own assumptions.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

If you can scratch the other side of your torso, then a shoulder holster should not be a problem at all. It does however add "some" weight to the shoulders/neck depending on what type you get. I have not tried a "fanny pack" so can't say too much, but it does seem like a good option.
    ((Place funny, whitty comment here))

I agree on the fanny pack. My wife who is pregnat thought a shoulder holster was the way to go. We got her one and she used it for about 10 min. She hated it. She now has one of the old fanny packs. She places it about 1:00 and pulls a super large sweat- shirt over it. Works for her pretty well.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Distinguished Member
    I agree with the fanny pack, it looks very natural for a woman.

thanks for the help
    will see if can find a fanny pack not easy to come by round here

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by skirtster View Post
    thanks for the help
    You'll have to look online. That's where I found mine. So long ago I forgot where, (senior moment). But check out a number of sites and compare. Make sure that your piece will fit because if it does not, it might be difficult to draw.
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

thanks for the help
    Skirtster, check out

Concealment Shooting Equipment Handgun Gun Cases

My wife (Harleygirl) and I both have one of their fanny packs. They are nice and work well. We have a friend who carries (a lot!) and uses one regularly. He's had multiple ones and puts a lot of wear on them, and swears by them.

The Concealment Shop also attends many gun shows, so you can run into them there to check out the fanny packs in person if you want.

Favorites: "If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier."
    Admiral Gary Roughead, CNO: "I never, ever, want to see my sailors or Marines in a fair fight."

Another option might be a crossdraw belt holster. This option seems to be the best for my wife. Her right shoulder is messed up and drawing from strongside is painful.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Shirt carry... such as this one ... much easier and less likely to show than a shoulder rig.
    Big K Army & Navy - Product Catalog

Take Glucosamine for the arthritis (it works). Glucosamine and Arthritis Information Center

These shirts work well. Beware, the stitching is different for a large/mid-size auto, vs a small semi-auto or revolver on some of these shirts(so they don't fall thru the area holding the gun).

thanks for the help
    Coronado Leather, makers of handcrafted, concealment leatherwear for law enforcement and those interested in high quality leather jackets, handbags and carrycases for firearm concealment

Some of their procucts are on the costly side, but they are quality. I've got an "Original Stealth Pack" lying in my safe. It's a very nice, very discreet fanny pack. I may be willing to sell it. PM me if interested or for more information.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Try the Tennessee Holster Company at gun-works.com. They make a IWB holster that is fully adjustable for cant and can be worn crossdraw. I own 2 and they are excellent.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Skirtster,

Check this website, bunch of good info:
    Cornered Cat
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

want to say thanks for all the info. and the links. am still checking them out.

thanks again all is appreciated

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links