My turn to carry leftie?

This is a discussion on My turn to carry leftie? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well last Friday I hurt myself, crossing the street. My calf siezed up in a charlie horse like I've never felt before. Things got better ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My turn to carry leftie?

My turn to carry leftie?

Well last Friday I hurt myself, crossing the street. My calf siezed up in a charlie horse like I've never felt before. Things got better over the weekend and then on Monday, while crossing the street, my calf made this real strange popping noise and then this burning sensation (I describe both like the sound and feel of breaking a handful of pasta in half).

I tore my calf muscle, and not in a cool way like saving orphans from a burning building or anything. I was jogging across the street to beat a light, heading to lunch. I guess I take food a little too seriously .

So now I have a cane in my right hand until this gets better. Good thing I have a DeSantis IWB that I can switch to SOB or either side. Based on my recent issues and the possibility of falling I'm thinking agasint SOB carry.

My question is this, since the cane is for balance and not so much for support should I carry weak side since I have no practice shooting leftie. I mean I can easily ditch the cane and draw by the time my weak hand has lifted my cover garment.

What have others in this situation done? I know I have needed to practice week handed, but its a little late for proficiency now.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

I would still want to draw with my strong hand...learn to use the cane on the other side, or just plan on dropping the cane (if using with the right hand) and take care of business as normally done.

On crossing the street, I would suggest hiring a Boy Scout to assist you...we don't want those mean streets taking any more outta' ya'...

Seriously, hope you're back to normal soon.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    On crossing the street, I would suggest hiring a Boy Scout to assist you...we don't want those mean streets taking any more outta' ya'
    Yeah, I just don't get it. Ran track in HS (sprinter, shotput and discuss), baseball in Jr. High, semi-pro skateboarder in HS, weight lifting, now taekwondo, and plenty of fist fights growing up and crossing the street takes me down for a while

I was thinking of maybe throwing the cane then drawing, lol, or just letting it drop as I draw. I wouldn't want to rely on something never tested when it comes to life and limb.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

I personally would stick with strong side, but I'm obviously no expert. I have worked a little with my support hand and would not want to have to use it as my primary at all. I imagine any situation where the support hand is needed will be hot and close enough that (a) the TDI will be effective and/or (b) close enough that my semi-competent support hand could point and shoot effectively. Outside 2-3 yds, I hope I don't need to shoot with my left.

I have strained my calf muscle similarly twice -- once in high school during basketball season but not playing basketball, and once in college during rugby season but not playing rugby -- but not torn it. And I use to get charlie horses in my calves all the time during swim season in high school. I'm pretty sure for me it was lack of potassium and dehydration. Eat your bananas and drink your water! (I actually have a history of getting injured during contact sports season... but always outside the sport doing something completely harmless, like you said... worst was spraining my ankle on an apple. Put me down for a month.)
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Wow that made my leg hurt just reading your post. No more walking to lunch for you. We are all going to take up some funds and get you the 1st DC scooter!
    Last edited by mp45fan; December 24th, 2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: spelling
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

You don't want to use your weak hand unless you have to. Just drop the cane and draw.

Of course your ability "draw, move, shoot, move..." is now seriously restricted so you better make those first shots count.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    Are you using the cane on the same side as the injury or on the opposite?
    I've had to use a for quite a while cane while recovering from back surgery and when my rt. knee is really bad (needs replacing). I can use the cane with either hand for my back since it is more for balance. I tend to use the cane in my left hand to help with support for my knee, but can use either hand as needed.

Good luck with your calf, I had the same problem about a month ago and it took about 3 weeks for it to heal.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post
    Yeah, I just don't get it. Ran track in HS (sprinter, shotput and discuss), baseball in Jr. High, semi-pro skateboarder in HS, weight lifting, now taekwondo, and plenty of fist fights growing up and crossing the street takes me down for a while

I was thinking of maybe throwing the cane then drawing, lol, or just letting it drop as I draw. I wouldn't want to rely on something never tested when it comes to life and limb.
    Can you say "Getting old?"
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Administrator
    Since you do not need the cane to function and can still move without it (though it may be painful) you absolutely should still carry your self-defensive firearm on your strong side.

Ditch the cane if you need to draw to defend yourself.

TOF
    Consider this a warning that you need to be able to shoot with either hand and start appropriate practice.

If you drop your cane then tense up and cause a cramp you won't be much good with either hand.

Get well soon but become ambidextrous while doing so.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Paco,

You are getting old and it is not for sissies!

Semper Fi

Lead Moderator
    As said , strong side carry. I suggest practicing dropping the cane, then drawing so it feels more natural.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Paco View Post

I get it...but then I'm in my 6th decade...
    I wrestled in hs and coll (coached for 14 years)...used to run, lift, and be just be generally an arrogant, quick to fight, TYPICAL guy.
    Then mid-life hit...then the later years...stuff starts to hurt...everything is either too tight or it leaks. Sex is still fun, but it requires a 24 hour turn-a-round time.
    I think you just at the beginning stages...hang in there.

You can still enjoy life...just accept the reality...you're not getting any younger.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Two words for you. Bat Masterson .

Heal up well, work the weak side, but keep carrying strong side.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

This and many of your suggestions have taught me to practice both sides. As soon as I can get to the range it's southpaw time.

Well, I'm off to wrap the gifts from Baby Jesus and sneak them in the den.

Good night all and have a safe and merry Christmas tomorrow.

-Paco

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links