Defensive Carry banner

Becoming Impatient

3K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  cj 
#1 ·
well, because i was upset when i made the first post and mentioned something i shouldnt have :buttkick::banned:, the post was deleted and i would like to apoligize to the mods for what was posted out of anger, on to the story...

i called the state police to check on the status of my permit on 12/9
and they told me they recieved my app and money on the 11/7 and that it takes 45 days to get approval :santaclaus:. so i called back on 12/23 to check and i get the response that it is STILL pending! :hand1: now they say 60 days and the website says 45.....im getting very impatient. i took my class, bought a nice holster (thanks Dave) and have spent alot of time at the range :comeandgetsome:, although they dont let you draw froma holster :nono: i got some good practice in, and now im just waiting on the permit. i am thinking of just OC'ing (legal in La without a permit) until i get the sacred card in the mail which im assuming will be here some time next year. :smoke23:

#3 ·
As long as you know some weapon retention and your holster isn't just an open top leather holster with no security device at all, I would say open carry is fine.

But, if you have never learned any weapon retention techniques and you just have a level 1 or less security holster, then I think it would be better to wait.

Sounds like LA is dragging it's feet on issuing the permit. Not surprising. This is after all the state that violated many citizens 2A rights after Katrina.

#4 ·
I'll bet that there are so many of them coming in that they are swamped.

I got a letter from the State Police saying that the permits were going to take the full 120 days alloted by law, and not to be calling them up because it took time away from the process.

It is possible that they are extremely busy.

#5 ·
First one always takes a long time .My first one took 88 days,my renewal almost as long.Anything worth while in life takes time.The decision to carry a firearm for protection is the biggest life altering change you will make.Patients grasshopper wisdom grows with restraint.

#6 ·
I can easily believe that they are swamped with apps. Gun sales have skyrocketed since the election, so have CCW apps. Funny in this time of "recession", gun sales have taken off. Law abiding citizens of this state and country are frightened of our Pres elect and his views on weapons. My granddaughter is a manager for Academy, their gun sales have gone through the roof.
D

#7 ·
My first permit, Oklahoma, took the full allotted time to be issued. Virginia Initial took almost the full 45 days but renewals have been much quicker. Although frustrating, The issuing department do have procedures they have to follow. With it being the holiday season that is also going to slow things up some, no one works at full speed during the holidays (unless your in retail sales). Since your in a state that allows open carry, that is what I would do.

#8 ·
I'm in western NY and I feel your pain. A couple of months would be a short wait time for us. I dropped my permit application off in April of 2008 and I am still waiting. My county clerk says it can take up to 6 months and they can't tell me how much longer it will be. I know the fingerprint check came back ok. Also, they called my references. At this point, it's sitting at some judge's desk collecting dust. The next county over is much smaller (rural) and they turn their around in 2 to 3 weeks.

#12 ·
i am thinking of just OC'ing (legal in La without a permit) until i get the sacred card in the mail...
As long as you know some weapon retention and your holster isn't just an open top leather holster with no security device at all, I would say open carry is fine.

But, if you have never learned any weapon retention techniques and you just have a level 1 or less security holster, then I think it would be better to wait.
TN_Mike's advice strikes me as being very reasonable, especially for a newbie, if that's what OP is. OC is fine, but there isn't much wisdom in OCing with a non-retention holster.

99% of all persons who currently OC have retention holsters. There is a reason for that--it's smart/effective.

#24 ·
Hah. Reminds me of my experience. Went in one week (only accept applications one day per week between certain hours): Closed due to weather. Went in the next week, they'd decided it would be a holiday. Finally applied, waited, got the call, went in...and the camera they needed to use to take the photo for the permit was broken, so had to come back again later.

#25 ·
Went in one week (only accept applications one day per week between certain hours): Closed due to weather. Went in the next week, they'd decided it would be a holiday. Finally applied, waited, got the call, went in...and the camera they needed to use to take the photo for the permit was broken, so had to come back again later.
Sounds like that department does not care and is very unprofessional.

Probably nothing can be done about it though. Did you complain or write them up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.