Becoming Impatient

This is a discussion on Becoming Impatient within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well, because i was upset when i made the first post and mentioned something i shouldnt have , the post was deleted and i would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Becoming Impatient

Becoming Impatient

well, because i was upset when i made the first post and mentioned something i shouldnt have , the post was deleted and i would like to apoligize to the mods for what was posted out of anger, on to the story...

i called the state police to check on the status of my permit on 12/9
    and they told me they recieved my app and money on the 11/7 and that it takes 45 days to get approval . so i called back on 12/23 to check and i get the response that it is STILL pending! now they say 60 days and the website says 45.....im getting very impatient. i took my class, bought a nice holster (thanks Dave) and have spent alot of time at the range , although they dont let you draw froma holster i got some good practice in, and now im just waiting on the permit. i am thinking of just OC'ing (legal in La without a permit) until i get the sacred card in the mail which im assuming will be here some time next year.
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."
    Ted Nugent

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Be patient grasshopper ... good things come to those who wait. I'm pretty sure that some of the delay is due to the holidays.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

As long as you know some weapon retention and your holster isn't just an open top leather holster with no security device at all, I would say open carry is fine.

But, if you have never learned any weapon retention techniques and you just have a level 1 or less security holster, then I think it would be better to wait.

Sounds like LA is dragging it's feet on issuing the permit. Not surprising. This is after all the state that violated many citizens 2A rights after Katrina.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    I'll bet that there are so many of them coming in that they are swamped.

I got a letter from the State Police saying that the permits were going to take the full 120 days alloted by law, and not to be calling them up because it took time away from the process.

It is possible that they are extremely busy.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    First one always takes a long time .My first one took 88 days,my renewal almost as long.Anything worth while in life takes time.The decision to carry a firearm for protection is the biggest life altering change you will make.Patients grasshopper wisdom grows with restraint.

I can easily believe that they are swamped with apps. Gun sales have skyrocketed since the election, so have CCW apps. Funny in this time of "recession", gun sales have taken off. Law abiding citizens of this state and country are frightened of our Pres elect and his views on weapons. My granddaughter is a manager for Academy, their gun sales have gone through the roof.
    D

VIP Member
    My first permit, Oklahoma, took the full allotted time to be issued. Virginia Initial took almost the full 45 days but renewals have been much quicker. Although frustrating, The issuing department do have procedures they have to follow. With it being the holiday season that is also going to slow things up some, no one works at full speed during the holidays (unless your in retail sales). Since your in a state that allows open carry, that is what I would do.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'm in western NY and I feel your pain. A couple of months would be a short wait time for us. I dropped my permit application off in April of 2008 and I am still waiting. My county clerk says it can take up to 6 months and they can't tell me how much longer it will be. I know the fingerprint check came back ok. Also, they called my references. At this point, it's sitting at some judge's desk collecting dust. The next county over is much smaller (rural) and they turn their around in 2 to 3 weeks.

New Member Array TennGlockgolfer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexttime View Post
    I'm in western NY and I feel your pain. A couple of months would be a short wait time for us. I dropped my permit application off in April of 2008 and I am still waiting. My county clerk says it can take up to 6 months and they can't tell me how much longer it will be. I know the fingerprint check came back ok. Also, they called my references. At this point, it's sitting at some judge's desk collecting dust. The next county over is much smaller (rural) and they turn their around in 2 to 3 weeks.
    Wow I hope you get it back soon!!!
    NRA Life Member
    KY CCDW
    Glock 22 26
    XD 40 Service

optikal,

Not trying to sound a broken record (for those out there still remember them...lol), patience. It took 87 days (out of 90) to get mine back. :(
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

My wife is at 23 days and m at 14 days out of 90.

Patience....

Quote Originally Posted by optikal View Post
    i am thinking of just OC'ing (legal in La without a permit) until i get the sacred card in the mail...
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    As long as you know some weapon retention and your holster isn't just an open top leather holster with no security device at all, I would say open carry is fine.

But, if you have never learned any weapon retention techniques and you just have a level 1 or less security holster, then I think it would be better to wait.
    TN_Mike's advice strikes me as being very reasonable, especially for a newbie, if that's what OP is. OC is fine, but there isn't much wisdom in OCing with a non-retention holster.

99% of all persons who currently OC have retention holsters. There is a reason for that--it's smart/effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexttime View Post
    Which county is that?

And like has been said. Not much is getting done between now and Jan. 2.

be patient. it will come. mine did in Michigan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links