Got Made at Christmas

Got Made at Christmas

This is a discussion on Got Made at Christmas within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've recently decided to carry much more often than in the past and I've been working out the logistics of it. I got a Crossbreed ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got Made at Christmas

Got Made at Christmas

I've recently decided to carry much more often than in the past and I've been working out the logistics of it. I got a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB for my Ruger P-85 and it has been working well when I wear my usual baggy grey sweatshirt. When it arrived I carried for four days and my wife and kids never noticed; I finally just told my wife.

So, yesterday was Christmas at the family-in-laws, a baggy grey sweatshirt was not going to be socially acceptable, so for the first time I tucked a nice button-up shirt over the Ruger. Looking in the mirror: Hmm, not real good, the belt bulges out kind of strangely on the right hip, although the pistol doesn't really print. I fluffed the shirt a bit and off we went.

We'd been there less than an hour and my wife pulls me aside: "You're packing!".

"Yep, what gave me away?"

"Your belt is kind of bulged out and squared off on that side, it doesn't follow your hip."

"Dang."

I pressed on for a while thinking that no one would likely notice (my wife only did because she watches me closely now), but it was quite crowded and I didn't want to have any splainin' to do, so I untucked my shirt for the rest of the day - potential problem solved.

Lessons learned during the day: The Ruger's on the too-big side for tucking a shirt, sit on the strong side of the sofa so people flop down beside you on your weak side, if you can't get that side of the sofa just set a pillow next to your strong side, lay on the floor on your strong side while playing with the dog.

Biggest lesson learned: I need a new and smaller concealed carry pistol.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Classic...see the Keltec thread.

Rick

Not necessarily. You and your wife noticed because, since you're new to carry and she's new to knowing you carry, you're both overly sensitive and observant right now. I'd be willing to bet that no one else around you noticed. Protecting your strong side was probably wise as was untucking your shirt if it made you self conscious. But I would make a point to carry as much as possible for another month or two before making the decision to buy a new gun. Your feelings will probably change.

Brian

Getting "made" by the wife doesn't count, sorry.
    Socially acceptable is a lot less fun than being socially unacceptable!IMHO.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

VIP Member
    You might not need a smaller gun, unless you need an excuse to buy a new gun.

You might want to try a new place on your person to conceal the gun; maybe try a new holster and belt combo, or perhaps even investing in garments that are a size larger to better conceal the gun.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Yep, it's too big. Useless! Time to go shopping for something smaller.
    Mossberg 500A
    Savage 93R17 FV
    Ruger P95DC

Sounds like you and your wife are being "sensitive". If you open carried... 1/2 the people wouldn't notice because they are not paying any attention to anything. You probably would not have been made.

I've been "made" .... when I wasn't even carrying.... it was my cell phone on my belt. People generally aren't even thinking about looking for someone carrying. If they do, they probably are too.

Smile Hypothesize, test, revise...

Don't be too rash in your decision to downsize. Working your way down the size ladder is prefered to jumping to the bottom rung, IMHO. This will ensure you've got the right size rather than too small, and will provide a variety of future carry options...

.. uh oh, wife's coming... gotta' go. I said nothing that may be construed as a thinly disguised excuse for simply buying more guns.
    Protect your family. Reload. Call 911.

This is why I typically carry a J-Frame or a P3AT in the pocket during these functions. If anybody asks what the bulge in my pocket is, trust me, they will be more embarrassed with the answer than I.

I recently bought 6 nice heavy cotton shirts at Costco that were too long for me, so I had a seamstress cut them off square and I wear them like a jacket. They're great for covering, especially with an IWB holster.

VIP Member
    This is why I typically carry a J-Frame or a P3AT in the pocket during these functions. If anybody asks what the bulge in my pocket is, trust me, they will be more embarrassed with the answer than I.

10-4 on the P3AT.

the wife doesnt count. gee-we i went to the in-laws yesterday for christmas, i left my carry (sa xd9sc) in its holster, in the car, which was parked in a fenced in driveway. my wife said to me--are you expecting an armed robbery at the christmas party lol

At my family Christmas party I was OCing and my father-in-law says,"Expecting Indians?" LOL
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

not hiding it

went to christmas with the in-laws...when my brother-in-law asked to take my coat, i handed it to him. With that gone, my owb holster showed with my new keltec pf-9 in it, and he said, "is that a new one?" I said yep, and we looked at it and checked it all out and then I re-holstered it and we went to play apples to apples.

Nice to have a family that appreciates the fact that I am willing to carry at all times, thereby making them safer.

(my wife and I are the only ones in our families that carry.)

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    At my family Christmas party I was OCing and my father-in-law says,"Expecting Indians?" LOL
    Should've said "no, but a crazy ex-family member might show up dressed as Santa and start shooting people and lobbing molotov cocktails."

Sad event in CA, but just goes to show that you can't be too careful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links