Liqour Store: TX

Liqour Store: TX

This is a discussion on Liqour Store: TX within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here in Texas..... CCW carry firearm not permitted in liqour store. How come I see every liqour stores has the sign that said, "Notice: The ...

Question Liqour Store: TX

Here in Texas..... CCW carry firearm not permitted in liqour store.

How come I see every liqour stores has the sign that said, "Notice: The unlicensed possession of a weapon on these premises is a felony with a maximum penalty of 10 years imprisonment and a fine not to exceed 10,000" That tells me Concealed firearm are allowed? Why didnt they just added other sign "Concealed firearm ban"

Walmart has the same sign what Liqour store have and still allowing concealed firearm. Any idea why ?:

I think that is saying that it is LEGAL for you to carry if licenced. It says "the unlicensed possesion"
    Pray for our nations leaders!

They are legal unless they have the (proper) 30.06 sign, or if they are a 51% buiness and since you cannot sunsume your purchases there they don't fall under the 51% classification.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

They are telling you that you are welcome to carry concealed if licensed.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I don't think a store is off limits...

Unless I'm missing another part of code someplace.

means I can purchase less than 51% of alochol sale ? correct me if i'm wrong

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by FireAir7215 View Post
    Could you rephrase the question.

Yeppers, in Texas:

If a business derives 51% of it's income from the CONSUMPTION of alchohol, it is already off limits - without the posting of the sign.

If a business posts the 30.06 sign, it is off limits.

If you are licensed, and the business doesn't meet the two requirements above; you are legal. Just don't ask, and don't tell.
    Trying to leave as large a carbon footprint as possible.
    Shivering in the "heat"
    Innocent as doves, wise as serpents, armed like wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Could you rephrase the question.
    Opps, I must had quote it wrong. my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by FireAir7215 View Post
    (Everything I say below assumes legal, licensed carry.)
    It is illegal to consume alcohol on the premises of a liquor store in Texas. It is a retail outlet, though, so just like WalMart or HEB, the law allows carry in the store.
    It is illegal to carry in a bar.
    It is not illegal to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol.
    The difference between a bar that serves food, and a restaurant that serves alcohol, can be difficult for a patron to ascertain. Thus, the law designates any establishment that earns more than 50% of their income from alcohol as a bar, regardless of the available menu; this is denoted by the "51%" sign so that we, the casual patronage, will know the difference and not get "burned" by a simple mistake. For example, the Mexican restaurant down the street from my house is famous for its Margaritas; however, it is a popular restaurant with several outlets in Austin. If not for the "51%" sign, I would not have known that it was legally a bar (the only one of the chain, BTW). Next year the sign was removed, so I suppose their tax records allowed them to resume their (proper) status as a restaurant again. Personally, I really appreciate the signs when properly applied.
    Any sign (I see them often) that starts out as "The Licensed or Unlicensed Possession of...." is a bluff. There is no legal variance allowed for the wording, letter size, or dimensions of the "30-06" sign required to prohibit your carry; in fact, if you carry a ruler and find the sign or the letters to be less than the prescribed dimensions, it is not legally valid nor binding on you .
    FWIW, it is also legal to carry in a bank unless it has the proper/legal "30-06" signage as required by the state to prohibit carry.
    Also on the premises of public schools, as long as you are not ON/IN the school GROUNDS, is accepted: the drive-through to pick-up/drop off your kid, or waiting in the parking lot outside of the playgrounds and buildings. But if the teacher wants to talk to you inside, you'll have to "stash" your piece to leave the car.

As for the "Unlicensed posession of a handgun on these premises ..." signs, I always look for them as re-assurance than I am legal to carry there.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    (Everything I say below assumes legal, licensed carry.)
    It is illegal to consume alcohol on the premises of a liquor store in Texas. It is a retail outlet, though, so just like WalMart or HEB, the law allows carry in the store.
    It is illegal to carry in a bar.
    It is not illegal to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol.
    The difference between a bar that serves food, and a restaurant that serves alcohol, can be difficult for a patron to ascertain. Thus, the law designates any establishment that earns more than 50% of their income from alcohol as a bar, regardless of the available menu; this is denoted by the "51%" sign so that we, the casual patronage, will know the difference and not get "burned" by a simple mistake. For example, the Mexican restaurant down the street from my house is famous for its Margaritas; however, it is a popular restaurant with several outlets in Austin. If not for the "51%" sign, I would not have known that it was legally a bar (the only one of the chain, BTW). Next year the sign was removed, so I suppose their tax records allowed them to resume their (proper) status as a restaurant again. Personally, I really appreciate the signs when properly applied.
    Any sign (I see them often) that starts out as "The Licensed or Unlicensed Possession of...." is a bluff. There is no legal variance allowed for the wording, letter size, or dimensions of the "30-06" sign required to prohibit your carry; in fact, if you carry a ruler and find the sign or the letters to be less than the prescribed dimensions, it is not legally valid nor binding on you .
    FWIW, it is also legal to carry in a bank unless it has the proper/legal "30-06" signage as required by the state to prohibit carry.
    Also on the premises of public schools, as long as you are not ON/IN the school GROUNDS, is accepted: the drive-through to pick-up/drop off your kid, or waiting in the parking lot outside of the playgrounds and buildings. But if the teacher wants to talk to you inside, you'll have to "stash" your piece to leave the car.

As for the "Unlicensed posession of a handgun on these premises ..." signs, I always look for them as re-assurance than I am legal to carry there.

Hope this helps.

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Chuck,

Thanks for info. I understand now. Thanks everybody else that reply. Much appericate for your opinion. Wish y;all a happy holiday.

Yep. You can't buy anything over 100 proof while carrying. :)
    OD G19 || G26 || OD KT P3AT

M2
    Someone posted this when the question of 51% came up previously. I saved it to my Palm Pilot for quick reference...

Texas 51% Signs:

The red 51% sign means NO carry in the building, period.

Then there is the blue NOTICE signs, these are posted at places like Applebee's that sell alcohol for on-premesis consumption but they do not derive 51% or more profit from alcohol sales, these are welcome signs for CHLs, they simply say that it is a felony for anyone that does not have a license to carry a handgun on the premesis.

The bar portion of a restaurant would not be off limits, unless it's separated from the main part of the restaurant and posted 51%.

Lastly, there are blue WARNING signs posted at places that sell alcohol but NOT for on-premesis consumption (Walmart, convenience stores, liquor stores), they simply state that it is a misdemeanor to consume alcohol on their premesis, perfectly legal for CHLs to carry there.

You can sit in the bar area of restaurants if they are not 51% places as for how places know whether they are 51% or not, I would assume that is known by what type of establishmet they are going to be (more of a bar than eating, or more eating than bar),

We tell CHL students: "If it looks like a bar, sounds like a bar, smells like a bar and everyone's drinking... it's a BAR, don't carry" and "If you could take your kids and mother there for dinner, it's a restaurant, don't worry, you're OK."

Remember, its illegal for CHLs to become intoxicated while carrying, and intoxicated means having alcohol level of .08 or higher OR loss of physical or mental capacities.
    And yes, in Texas it is perfectly legal to carry in a liquor store as the consumption of alcohol is not allowed there! The only time it wouldn't be is when the business has put up the 30.06 sign.

Cheers! M2

Links