What bothers me about CCW

This is a discussion on What bothers me about CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, I'm going to pick up mine and the wife's CCW licenses tomorrow (89 days after application ). Thinking about it, we have $200 tied ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What bothers me about CCW

What bothers me about CCW

OK, I'm going to pick up mine and the wife's CCW licenses tomorrow (89 days after application ).

Thinking about it, we have $200 tied up in training, $300 in CCW permit fees, plus our guns, holsters etc. So say $750 per person just to protect yourself.

What about the guy who lives in Bessemer or on the east side in a $69K house (bad parts of our town) and who works at Burger King? Not a stereotype either, my son lived in Bessemer (with three of my grandchildren) and worked at Pizza Hut while going through college

The guy who NEEDS the CCW is SOL.

Seems the system is working against the citizens who really need the protection. The sheriff's fees went up immediately after Shall Issue passed, and the 90 day limit is pushed to the limit.

I don't begrudge the training though. $100 well spent. Still, seems like we are leaving the ones who need it the most far behind.

2. Remove Ads

You are correct it is High Price to pay 175 training here 105 for permit then guns holster i mean jezz since ive had my CCw while looking for a good carry gun ive bought

HK usp -Xd sub compact-1911-1911sc-1911 lightweight-colt cobra in there soemwhere-glock 17-now a glock 20 plus holsters etc etc Dang its been expensive

I dont know how someone making $7.50 at burger king like you said could do it
    Last edited by Bud White; January 20th, 2006 at 09:26 PM.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well Larry we cant have " them types " defending themselves can we , that would lead to " dodge city in the streets " (feel free to replace them types with your favorite steriotype , be women , minoritys, or poor folk ) LOL oh and btw my house wouldnt make 40k on a good year down here lol
    Last edited by Redneck Repairs; January 19th, 2006 at 11:14 PM. Reason: dumb finish thought

Lead Moderator
    Does seems expensive to buy our 2nd Ammend. right doesn't it? I understand training and fee costs, but the price seems to be rising fast. I think the state/ fed govt. has printed me 6 or 7 times now .

Administrator
    $19.00 Total Here In Pennsylvania...
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Wow 19$ dang Qk that brutal you could make that picking up cans off side of the road

Yes! That is what I love about PA. I live in Jefferson County, and I had my CCW in about 10 minutes. Went to the sheriff's department, filled out the paper work. They made a phone call, then 5 minutes later I was in front of the camera getting my picture taken. Another 5 minutes and I was out the door with permit in hand (like a driver's licenes, plastic card with info and picture). It was that easy. And, like QKShooter said, it cost me $19.

:)
    "Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. For when you look long into the abyss, the abyss also looks into you."

Nietzsche

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I think I was out $65 for processing/liscensing fees. Didn't have to take a course because prior weapons knowledge from military.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

OD*
    $25 for 4 years in Indiana.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Ashcraft
    OK, I'm going to pick up mine and the wife's CCW licenses tomorrow (89 days after application ).

Thinking about it, we have $200 tied up in training, $300 in CCW permit fees, plus our guns, holsters etc. So say $750 per person just to protect yourself.

What about the guy who lives in Bessemer or on the east side in a $69K house (bad parts of our town) and who works at Burger King? Not a stereotype either, my son lived in Bessemer (with three of my grandchildren) and worked at Pizza Hut while going through college

The guy who NEEDS the CCW is SOL.

Seems the system is working against the citizens who really need the protection. The sheriff's fees went up immediately after Shall Issue passed, and the 90 day limit is pushed to the limit.

I don't begrudge the training though. $100 well spent. Still, seems like we are leaving the ones who need it the most far behind.
    Gotcha, the right to carry shouldn't have anything to do with your ability or inability to pay any fees etc...
    First time permit in Alabama I waited 15 min's for quick computer check for felony's etc. then $20 bucks and stand in front of the camera - min or two later get a still hot lamated photo id CC card.
    All in All about 20 min's and out the door with my permit.
    Didn't even have to own a firearm - no listing serial numbers or guns. It was a few days after getting my permit when I actually purchased my first handgun.
    Now every year I get a notice in the mail to send in my renewal fee ($20 bucks) and they mail my new card (same photo as first).
    Much more affordable than some other states.
    I still think as long as your not a prior felon than your drivers license or state issued photo id should suffice for your concealed carry permit too - without having to pay any extra fees.
    For God, Family and Country!

Assistant Administrator
    Larry - that is just downright iniquitous!!

In fact tho QK mentioned the $19 here - that was (for me anyways) only correct 3 years ago - plus $1.50 to have the thing reduced and laminated. In and out 30 mins max, paperwork and NICS etc.

My wife got hers a year ago and now we have a DL type card with pic and IIRC it is $25 or $26. Still, by comparison a very cheap way to excercize a basic right.

I always recommend new folks to get some training but even so - if they came to our NRA courses - Basic Pistol or after that Personal Protection - they'd only be in to about $50 per course - which is voluntary.

The disparity is crazy - and certainly when you think of all the folks who should have CCW and yet may baulk at it because of fiscal limitations - it sux! Waiting periods too - that is a joke and if a state is ''shall issue'' in a true sense, there should be none of this delay crap and overblown expense.

I feel for you. hell - my biggest expense was $147 or was it less - getting my FL non-res - and my NRA certification was OK to obtain that - which did in total cost me some $500 - but hey - those expenses where from choice - at least the PA side of things was well OK.

You and Sandy have my sympathies on all that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Larry, You make a good point, but not a new one. The cost and red tape that is involved does not sit well with me and I live in gun friendly Florida. Look at the folks fighting to get their states to "allow" them to defend themselves. It's one of the unfortunate conditions that accompanies government since governments started.

Distinguished Member Array ArmyCop's Avatar
    My DL has Motorcycle and Vessel on the back - I think it should also have Concealed Carry Permit on the back too & not worry about a separate pistol permit.
    Orange Beach (small city in Alabama) offers free pistol training class from time to time for residents & small fee if non-resident. I think that's a good option. If required for permit then free familiarity class, otherwise should be optional.
    For God, Family and Country!

Distinguished Member Array BCurry1's Avatar
    Larry, i feel your pain. In Oklahoma, it costs $60 for the training class. $100 for the license itself, $25 for the sheriff to take your fingerprints, and $10 for the photographs. Thats $195, not counting gun, holster, ammunition, or the time you spend waiting at teh sheriff's office. Then to top it all off, it takes 90 days to get your permit, and mine took 90 to the day.

ArmyCop, i agree, CCW should simply be an endorsement on our DL's.

BEN
    Last edited by BCurry1; January 20th, 2006 at 12:07 PM.

JT
    I don’t like the cost either. But on the other hand, it wasn’t too long ago (10 years) that we did not even have the option for concealed carry in Texas. I’m thankful for what we have, even if it isn’t the best system. And as time goes by, improvements are being made in the laws. As long as we keep going forward, and not backwards, I’m happy.
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links