Interstate Roads Carry

Interstate Roads Carry

This is a discussion on Interstate Roads Carry within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I read this on another forum and was a bit flabbergasted... "My understanding is that you can carry with or w/o permit ANYWHERE in the ...

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar

Interstate Roads Carry

I read this on another forum and was a bit flabbergasted...

"My understanding is that you can carry with or w/o permit ANYWHERE in the US on the interstates".

Uh...I do not believe this to be true. Anybody have some document or reference to back-up or disprove my belief?

Thanks
    Rick

You can transport unloaded and inaccessible. FOPA protects you while traveling THROUGH hostile states. However, carry (unless covered by LEOSA) is regulated by the individual state. The guy giving that advice is reckless and will get someone arrested.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    I believe that only holds true for states with peaceable journey laws.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

As far as I know you cannot CC on self in SC with out a conceal carry permit.
    I've received some bad advice in the past from folks that should know better. I won't mention specifics but you must check the laws.
    No one who gave you any info will be going to court with you.
    Handgunlaw.us

"Manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life" Robert Heinlein"

Here's another link: Handgunlaw.us

I researched on this site for my wife last summer when she had to travel to/from Michigan, so she could be legal as she drove from state to state.

This site will link you the each state's sautes so you can see the latest postings.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

Quote Originally Posted by fotomaker57 View Post
    I believe that only holds true for states with peaceable journey laws.
    Mike
    Peaceable journey laws are Federal not State and apply to all states. You can carry unloaded in the trunk of your car from point A to Point B through any state as long as it is legal for you to have the gun at both points. For instance you can have it with you going from SC to VT through DC but if you are going from SC to DC you cannot. Other than that state laws apply.

Quote Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
    You can transport unloaded and inaccessible. FOPA protects you while traveling THROUGH hostile states. However, carry (unless covered by LEOSA) is regulated by the individual state. The guy giving that advice is reckless and will get someone arrested.
    The above reply says it all. I think that it is a good idea for us gun owners to practice using the words "transport" and "carry" with their respective legal meanings in mind; there is a huge difference. As Mountain Packer points out, using the word "carry" wrongly in place of the word "transport", when dishing out advice, will get someone in big trouble. If I have an unloaded inaccessible firearm in my vehicle, I am NOT carrying, I'm transporting.

It's my understanding that in traveling with a firearm through a "Hostile to Firearms State", like Massachusetts or Connecticut, that if your firearm is in a locked container and ammunition is not in the same container you can travel THROUGH the state PROVIDED that you can show that you are ACTUALLY Traveling Through the state. As an example: That you have a receipt from a hotel or Inn or friend that lives in the state that you are traveling to, such as Vermont, you can travel through. YOU CANNOT STOP IN THAT STATE! I'm not sure if you can stop at a hotel or motel for a night, but if it were me, I'd drive straight through.
    "We have met the enemy, and it is us." Pogo Possum

"My understanding is that you can carry with or w/o permit ANYWHERE in the US on the interstates".
    Why don't you try that in a place like New Jersey or MA?

I'll wait here, and I won't be suprised if it's a long wait.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by oldie View Post
    It's my understanding that in traveling with a firearm through a "Hostile to Firearms State", like Massachusetts or Connecticut, that if your firearm is in a locked container and ammunition is not in the same container you can travel THROUGH the state PROVIDED that you can show that you are ACTUALLY Traveling Through the state. As an example: That you have a receipt from a hotel or Inn or friend that lives in the state that you are traveling to, such as Vermont, you can travel through. YOU CANNOT STOP IN THAT STATE! I'm not sure if you can stop at a hotel or motel for a night, but if it were me, I'd drive straight through.
    Actually, you can stop in the state if that stop is incidental to your transit through the state, i.e. an overnight stop while driving to vermont, maine, Canada, etc. a stop to eat, fuel your car, etc.

What you cannot do, is stop in that state for several days to visit someone, or take a side trip to Boston for a couple of days, then go on to Maine and claim your stop in MA was simply part of "transiting" the state.

Links