Holding assailant at gunpoint...how do you safely contact LEO?

This is a discussion on Holding assailant at gunpoint...how do you safely contact LEO? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I really didn't know how I would begin search for this, so at the risk of repost and getting yelled at for not using search ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Holding assailant at gunpoint...how do you safely contact LEO?

Holding assailant at gunpoint...how do you safely contact LEO?

I really didn't know how I would begin search for this, so at the risk of repost and getting yelled at for not using search feature, I decided to simply post as I really would like to know.

There will be situations when you have killed the assailant. In that case, I would simply reholster my firearm and be ready for the LEO to swarm in and do not say anything until I secure legal aid even in justified shootings.

However, I don't know what I would do if I am holding the attacker at gunpoint and have to contact LEO and ask them not to shoot me and don't want to trust the switchboard operator to relay the message correctly that I am holding someone at gunpoint because they attacked me.

I am not even certain that I can hold someone against their will in this case.

I eagerly await your input.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

Cell phone. You tell them you're holding a (assault, burglary... whatever) subject, you don't need to say at gun point. Then, you make your gun disappear BEFORE the police arrive. Trust me on that one. If you don't you're going to be taken down at gun point yourself. When the police arrive and make contact with you THEN you can tell them you're armed.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

yeah but what if he has a weapon? i've thought the same thing...sure you holster your gun, but then the BG gets away? i don't know.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."
    -Thomas Jefferson

2 Chronicles 7:14

I don't know Thumper. If I'm holding somebody at gunpoint, it would be because they are an imminent threat to my safety. In that case, I don't want to give the guy any window... I think I would inform the operator repeatedly that I was holding them at gunpoint and make him or her repeatedly assure me that he or she has informed the police. I understand that the police will probably take me at gunpoint, and I will carefully follow instructions when they show and trust in their professionalism and training to not shoot me without cause. But I don't want to allow any gap where I might be harmed by the BG. I would consider an unwatched BG more of a danger than jittery police, but maybe that's my naivete.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I would shoot to stop the threat. I may not necessarily have killed the attacker but they will definitely have a large leak and wont go far. If the assailant is no longer an immediate threat to me, I would now turn into a good witness, step to a safe location while watching the attacker. Re-holster my weapon, call 911 and my attorney.

DO NOT (I repeat) DO NOT have your gun in your hand when LE arrives.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Quote Originally Posted by Solidgun View Post
    However, I don't know what I would do if I am holding the attacker at gunpoint and have to contact LEO and ask them not to shoot me and don't want to trust the switchboard operator to relay the message correctly that I am holding someone at gunpoint because they attacked me.
    What would you do if the BG simply just turned his back on you and walked away?
    225th SAC "Phantom Hawk" - US Army - Vietnam 1969-70

There is another post about keeping wallet in front pocket so you can have your CCW out at least and I would be holstering my weapon as the LEO show up on scene. So if BG jumps up and pulls a weapon well then it is the LEO problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    I would shoot to stop the threat. I may not necessarily have killed the attacker but they will definitely have a large leak and wont go far. If the assailant is no longer an immediate threat to me, I would now turn into a good witness, step to a safe location while watching the attacker. Re-holster my weapon, call 911 and my attorney.

DO NOT (I repeat) DO NOT have your gun in your hand when LE arrives.
    Where exactly would you shoot? This may not be an immediate threat, but simple de-escalation of attack in progress. I think it is a reckless act to shoot and very bad image of responsible gun owner.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

What is this "holding" of an "assailant" you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    What is this "holding" of an "assailant" you speak of?
    I guess you haven't heard that the ammo prices have gone up significantly. I am not wasting $1.20 per round (I can't buy HP ammo in bulk as I see that as a waste)

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker View Post
    What would you do if the BG simply just turned his back on you and walked away?
    IN NC...you gotta let him go
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Where exactly would you shoot? This may not be an immediate threat, but simple de-escalation of attack in progress. I think it is a reckless act to shoot and very bad image of responsible gun owner.
    Huh? ... that wasnt part of your original scenario. Your scenario involved a drawn weapon, If I must draw my weapon it will be in self defense. All shots will be COM.

I am not the law. I would not hold anyone at gunpoint for LE ... period. If somebody is not an immediate threat, my gun is not drawn. Re-read your posted scenario.

The keyword is "attacked me".

You didnt say that your life was in "iminent danger" but you have a person at gun point?

I dont think I'm the irresponsible gun owner here.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I guess that is true. But I want this individual arrested so a record is available for reference if needed later. All I know is that this person may return and cause further harm but I can't justify taking his life.

Again, if I'm "holding someone at gunpoint," it's because he's an imminent threat to my safety or the safety of others and I cannot extricate myself or let him leave without opening myself to attack... which means I'm not putting my gun away, and I'll have to trust that the police will be informed and that in any case they aren't in the habit of entering an unknown situation with gun's blazing?
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

I guess you haven't heard that the ammo prices have gone up significantly. I am not wasting $1.20 per round (I can't buy HP ammo in bulk as I see that as a waste)
    Nice...

Oh no Ive heard. Hence the buying of bulk.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links