ND @ Defensive Handgun Class

This is a discussion on ND @ Defensive Handgun Class within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Day 1 of 5. Very basic but good stuff. Shooting from holstered, night shooting w/ flashlight, etc. But the moment of the night was a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ND @ Defensive Handgun Class

ND @ Defensive Handgun Class

Day 1 of 5. Very basic but good stuff. Shooting from holstered, night shooting w/ flashlight, etc.

But the moment of the night was a guy's ND while we were reloading. Apparently he thought he'd cleared it and pointed at the ground and pulled the trigger...???... Thankfully it was pointed in a safe direction, so he only broke two rules of safety. That's why we have the rules. Layers of protection.

Anyway, scary moment. Guy got booted and won't be back. Can't say I'll miss him, though I think he was quite aware of the gravity of the error afterwards.
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

2. Remove Ads

Even if he knows the error, I am sure he won't go back to basic safety class thinking that he is better than that.

Everyone should know that no one is above the basic safety skills.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

Yeah, I just don't get the pull the trigger. If you're not sure, rack the slide and rack it again. At what point would it be sensible to pull the trigger on the range unless you're intending to shoot something?
    "War necessarily brings with it some virtues, and great and heroic virtues too. What horrid creatures we men are, that we cannot be virtuous without murdering one another?" -John Adams

I put myself into the habit of racking the slide after mag removal two times to assure the chamber is clear.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "
    Best words of wisdom from my Master Emperor Palpatine

I rack it 3 or 4 times, check the bore with a finger, AND visual check. I'm just so paranoid about that stuff. Think an ND would give me a heart attack.
    HK45c V1

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    I rack it 3 or 4 times, check the bore with a finger, AND visual check. I'm just so paranoid about that stuff. Think an ND would give me a heart attack.
    That's the way I do it.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Same here... 3 racks minimum...
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Y&ep, 3 or 4 racks, lock open, stick finger in the chamber....look in there too....Pointing the gun at the ground and pulling the trigger is a heck of a weird way to make sure it is clear....
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    In the Corps, we always checked a weapon to be sure it was clear and then dropped the hammer right before we turned it in.

When I shot IDPA, we always had to lower the hammer or striker with the trigger to ensure it's clear.

To me, that's the only way to truly clear a weapon.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I believe I will add 2 more times, make sure i visually check (I usually do) and check with my finger as well. I would much rather feel like I am acting paranoid than have a ND where my loved ones can be injured.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "
    Best words of wisdom from my Master Emperor Palpatine

Safety decocker on mine. Drop the mag, pull the slide to manual lock, loose round in my hand I am good to go, look at the chamber, close slide, safety on.

5 day class. Wow. I'm jealous.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Very glad to hear nobody was hurt.

For the sake of the newer shooters.
    1. Don't forget to remove the magazine first.
    2.Then rack the slide a few times.
    3.Then lock the slide open and check for clear w/ your eyes and your pinkie finger.

I don't understand how this could have happened while everybody was reloading. I haven't taken any courses other than the one I had to take to get my Florida license. But I would think that the instructors would be all over someone for even touching their weapon when it's not their time to shoot.
    Could someone explain this to me?
    Question Everything!

Did not keep the finger off the trigger. Failed to engage brain.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
    That is exactly what I do.
    1) Remove Mag
    2) Rack slide and visuall see the shell being ejected
    3) Rack again
    4) Rack and lock slide back
    5) Put finger into mag well and see that the mag is removed
    6) Put finger into chamber and feel for round
    7) Visuall check chamber to see it is empty

I know it seems like a lot of steps, but I can actually do it fairly quickly, a matter of a couple of seconds. Not that I am trying to see how fast I can do it, as that is careless, but they are such simple steps it doesn't take long.

Must admit a NG during reloading with a revolver is a lot less likely. One advantage of a revolver.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Quote Originally Posted by georgewain View Post
    Very glad to hear nobody was hurt.

For the sake of the newer shooters.
    1. Don't forget to remove the magazine first.
    2.Then rack the slide a few times.
    3.Then lock the slide open and check for clear w/ your eyes and your pinkie finger.

I don't understand how this could have happened while everybody was reloading. I haven't taken any courses other than the one I had to take to get my Florida license. But I would think that the instructors would be all over someone for even touching their weapon when it's not their time to shoot.
    Could someone explain this to me?
    Could have been a new shooter, unfamiliar with his firearm, for beginners. Manipulating safeties, slides, and hammers can cause people to focus too much on the weapon and not enough on the safety aspect. They get lost in their minds as to what to do next, then pull the trigger, BANG!

That is why we stress “ALWAYS” point the gun in a safe direction before pulling the trigger. Example: I see (new and old) shooters point their weapons at themselves all the time during holstering. They never think a thing about it as they aren't pulling the trigger when they do it. They think it's safe because the safety is on, I guess.

As we all know there is no safety that can override the finger.

DQ'ing the person and a public dismissal hopefully will cause that person to get his stuff together before handling a firearm next time.

Oh, and the ole time shooter has their ND's do to complacency simply put. Nobody is exempt from safety but you’d think different when you step back and watch people handling firearms on the range.

Shooting on the range or with anyone else arong is like driving a car. Put your defensive skills into action and you might survive.

BTW< racking does not make a pistol chamber clear, always. Always "check the magazine well, then the chamber," then close the slide.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links