CC Options for the Scrawny

This is a discussion on CC Options for the Scrawny within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey, I am new to this and looking for advice on CC. I am skinny, only about 115 pounds. I haven't settled on a specific ...

Hey, I am new to this and looking for advice on CC. I am skinny, only about 115 pounds. I haven't settled on a specific gun, probably a small frame revolver. Any input on guns and/or holsters would be appreciated. Thanks

Your build/body type will have the greatest impact on what you can or cannot conceal. 5'2" and 110lbs or 6' and 110lbs? Huge difference. Welcome to the forum BTW.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Ankle, waist....makes no difference with a small frame wheel gun. Bigger guys always complain about their fat pushing the weapon away from their body.
    SAEPIUS EXERTUS-SEMPER FIDELIS-FRATER INFINITAS

I am in the 5'2" bracket unfortunately I tend to wear tighter jeans but as scrawny as I am if I need to get bigger jeans or shirts to cover, that shouldn't be an issue.

I am 6'3" 160
    I carry a glock 27 iwb in a MTAC holster with the v-clips. No one ever notices..

Samson1, welcome to the forum.
    J-frames are great revolvers, I carry the S&W 642 as a back up, it can easily be use as a primary.
    Don't worry about being thin, it's all in how you dress. With the J-frame you can conceal in a bunch of different spots. I would recommend that you need more than one carry method. Start with a good IWB and carry at 3-4 O'Clock, try the MTAC. Also look into SmartCarry and pocket holsters.
    Good Luck!
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I am 5'9" and weight 190 lbs, so I am not exactly scrawny. You might end up with a box of unused holsters like many of us do LOL! I know Kahr and Walther make small and thin pistols. If you like .45 ACP, take a look at the Glock 36. With the right holster and belt you might be able to CC something like the G19, or an XD Service pistol.

I went through an expensive trial and error process before finding the right carry gun and holster.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

welcome from a fellow washingtonian. Or seattlite as it were.
    I am the exact opposite of you I'm afraid. Tall and fat!
    I suggest going to Wades indoor range/shop in bellevue. They have no problem letting you try before you buy(holsters) and can give you great advice. Wade himself hooked me up and you can rent and shoot a huge selection of handguns to get a feel for what works for you.

West coast armory is good too in issaquah.

good luck and welcome
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

When I was younger and a....um....lighter I carried a Beretta .25. Very easy to hide, pocket or IWB.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Concealability is second to shootability. Find a gun that you can shoot well/feels comfortable first. Try GLOCKS, sprinfield XD's, HK's, Walthers, Khars, and try them in all calibers. Even if you spend $100 in renting and shooting all the guns it is MUCH cheaper than buying it and hating it... trust me. The only two guns I didn't test fire before buying I ended up selling shortly after, go figure.

As far as concealability goes, you may have to buy bigger pants if you plan on keeping your piece IWB (inside waste band), but the thing is you can conceal ANY weapon, just dress accordingly.

Hope this helps!

SDG
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I am 5'9" and weight 190 lbs, so I am not exactly scrawny. You might end up with a box of unused holsters like many of us do LOL! I know Kahr and Walther make small and thin pistols. If you like .45 ACP, take a look at the Glock 36. With the right holster and belt you might be able to CC something like the G19, or an XD Service pistol.

I went through an expensive trial and error process before finding the right carry gun and holster.
    What holster did you end up with? I'm the same size, 5'9" 190 (finally over my USMC weight limit!) and have a g26?

I feel your pain. I'm about 5' 7" and 125lbs. I bought a Kahr CW9 a couple months ago, and a decent hoslter. The key is the Holster/Belt to support and distribute the weight appropriately. At only .9" wide, the CW9 is an awesome gun. I paid 410 for mine, have shot just over 1k rounds, and have had 2 FTF (both in the 200 round break-in period). For colder weather, I just bought a CZ 2075 RAMI. I like the extra capacity and love the trigger. I'm concerned about the extra width (about 1.3"), and the weight.

For sure, my recommendation is the Kahr. Great gun for the money, easy to conceal, and more accurate than I'll ever be.

"The first thing you have to do is disarm the people. A disarmed public can't fight back" -- Adolf Hitler

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 871182 View Post
    What holster did you end up with? I'm the same size, 5'9" 190 (finally over my USMC weight limit!) and have a g26?
    I ended up with the Comp Tac Infidel for summer carry, and the Blackhawk Serpa for winter carry. Sometimes I will carry my XD45 in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder rig, or a Blackhawk Serpa. My usual carry is my Glock 19, but I think my XD45 is becoming my winter carry.

I also have a G26. I was going to use it as a summer carry, but still carried the 19.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I personally favor the skinny Kel TEc PF-9, but I think you would be fine with a S&W 642 or something similar. The only downside to a wheel gun for IWB is the wheel is usually thicker than an inch.

Links