Handgunlaw.us Seeking Information on Airports

This is a discussion on Handgunlaw.us Seeking Information on Airports within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gentlemen/Ladies, Handgunlaw.us is seeking information on carrying on Airport Property (Parking Lots). Inside the terminal up to the sterile area. By law can you or ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgunlaw.us Seeking Information on Airports

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar

Gentlemen/Ladies,

Handgunlaw.us is seeking information on carrying on Airport Property (Parking Lots). Inside the terminal up to the sterile area. By law can you or can you not carry in these areas in Airports. I would appreciate giving me the statute and I will look them up. I want to add this info to Handgunlaw.us so people can know the law and stay within the law. I am searching myself but any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Some states will have no laws concerning this. That will be the hard part. The law could be outside the firearm laws of the state and not easily found. When there is no law then we believe it is OK. Pittsburgh PA airport is off limits to carry even in the Parking lots due to a County Regulation. These are the tough ones to find.
    again any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated. I will try to update this list daily but it does take time. Thank you and Stay Safe, Gary Slider

These are the states I have laws for. My Excel Spread Sheet format will not let me copy and paste it here in a readable form so I am just listing the states.

Someone pointed out that Federal Laws may apply. They could and just because a law says nothing about carrying there you can always be arrested. That is why I want the code for the law so people can look for themselves. That still is not enough. The laws are so screwed up (for lack of a better term) that they could be anywhere in the code of some states. Handgunlaw.us will also note that if any parking lot or terminal is posted do not carry there even if you believe the signs have no meaning. You can be arrested any time and get your day in court.

Alabama
    Alaska
    Am. Samoa
    Arizona
    Arkansas Not Inside the Passenger Terminal and Sterile Area 5-73-306
    California
    Colorado
    Connecticut
    Delaware
    DC No Carry allowed In DC Area.
    Florida Not inside the passenger terminal and sterile area 790.06 (12)
    Georgia Parking Lot and Terminal off Limits 1612127
    Guam
    Hawaii
    Idaho
    Illinois No carry allowed in Illinois
    Indiana "Parking lots and Terminal OK IC 35-47-6-1.3
    "
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky Parking Lots and Terminal OK 237.11
    Louisiana Parking Lots and Terminal OK RS 40:1379.3 N (7)
    Maine
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Minnesota
    Mississippi Not inside the Terminal SEC. 45-9-101
    Missouri Parking Lots and Terminal OK 571.107
    Montana
    Nebraska
    Nevada Parking Lot OK Not In Terminal NRS 202.3673
    New Hampshire
    New Jersey
    New Mexico Parking Lots and Terminal OK 29-19-8.
    New York
    North Carolina No Carry Allowed at Charlotte-Douglas Intl., Charlotte Ordinance Sec. 15-14
    North Dakota Firearms not allowed in Public Buildings. ?? If Terminal Is publically owned then Off Limits? 62.10205.
    N. Marianas
    Ohio OH AG States Airport terminals or commercial airplanes. (Parking Lots would be OK then)
    Oklahoma If owned by any government entity Terminal Off Limits Parking Lot OK §211277.
    Oregon Parking Lots and Terminal OK. Portland Airport Has Regulation & is Posted 166.370
    Pennsylvania Pittsburgh PA Parking Lot and Terminal Off Limits Allegheny Co. Ordinance. § 70539.
    Puerto Rico
    Rhode Island
    South Carolina If publically owned Not in Terminal. Parking Lot OK (Section 1623420(a))
    South Dakota
    Tennessee Building/Lots must be posted for law to apply § 39171359.
    Texas Buildings Must be Posted. Parking Lot OK 30.06(c)(3)(A)
    Utah Parking Lots and Terminal OK 76-10-529
    Vermont
    Virgin Islands
    Virginia Terminal Off Limits. Parking Lot OK § 18.2-287.01. Dulles Airport Toll Road is under the authority of
    Metro Washington Airports Auth. along with Rondald Reagan and Dulles Airports & are most likely Off Limits.
    Washington Parking Lot & Terminal OK unless Posted 9.41.300
    West Virginia Parking Lot and Terminal OK
    Wisconsin No Carry allowed in Wisconsin
    Wyoming
    Last edited by Gary Slider; December 30th, 2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Updated
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Senior Moderator
    We had a clarification on this some time ago, although I can no longer provide the specifics. At the Little Rock airport, carry in a vehicle is legal in the parking lots.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Wow, this is a challenge. I know I haven't been able to find a state statute forbidding Denver's DIA (outside of the sterile area) and premption should protect CCW holders, BUT, I know they posted the terminal doors earlier this year.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Here is Virginia. Note that state law preempts all local laws more lenient.

§ 18.2-287.01. Carrying weapon in air carrier airport terminal.

It shall be unlawful for any person to possess or transport into any air carrier airport terminal in the Commonwealth any (i) gun or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile or projectile of any kind, (ii) frame, receiver, muffler, silencer, missile, projectile or ammunition designed for use with a dangerous weapon, and (iii) any other dangerous weapon, including explosives, stun weapons as defined in § 18.2-308.1, and those weapons specified in subsection A of § 18.2-308. Any such weapon shall be subject to seizure by a law-enforcement officer. A violation of this section is punishable as a Class 1 misdemeanor. Any weapon possessed or transported in violation of this section shall be forfeited to the Commonwealth and disposed of as provided in subsection A of § 18.2-308.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to any police officer, sheriff, law-enforcement agent or official, or conservation police officer, or conservator of the peace employed by the air carrier airport, nor shall the provisions of this section apply to any passenger of an airline who, to the extent otherwise permitted by law, transports a lawful firearm, weapon, or ammunition into or out of an air carrier airport terminal for the sole purposes, respectively, of (i) presenting such firearm, weapon, or ammunition to U.S. Customs agents in advance of an international flight, in order to comply with federal law, (ii) checking such firearm, weapon, or ammunition with his luggage, or (iii) retrieving such firearm, weapon, or ammunition from the baggage claim area.

Any other statute, rule, regulation, or ordinance specifically addressing the possession or transportation of weapons in any airport in the Commonwealth shall be invalid, and this section shall control.

(2004, c. 894; 2007, cc. 87, 519.)
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Gary,

I called the CT State Police firearms permit issuing authority, 'Dept. of Public Safety', (I am a non-resident holder) this past fall to inquire about this exact topic as I travel out of Bradley (BDL) often for departure and pickup of visitors.

I was advised that per state law there is no restriction against _lawful_ carry in in an airport, nor at BDL in specific which was the focus of my query.
    He went on to state that as long as I am 1) Licensed in CT to possess and carry, and 2) Have on my person said license, and 3) Am acting lawfully (i.e. not open carrying or not in restricted zones/trespassing where I am not authorized to be), and 4) Am not as a flyer or as a person picker upper not attempting to go beyond the flight departure area (where the TSA patrol and clear people aka the 'Secure Zone')....then I would be okay and completely legal and within the letter of CT law toward carry in an airport.

His statements and advisory exactly matched that of my own understanding from reading the CT state law on same as well as that of the BDL airports own policies statement at their website (which of course was/is minimal in information).

I was at BDL yesterday to drop off my mother for a flight.
    I walked into the airport at the departure area to see her off and help with her bags. I was carrying concealed as I did so and had my CT license on my person as well. I did not sweat a drop.

Relevant CT firearm law links and resources:
    * http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/pub/Chap529.htm#Sec29-35.htm
    * http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0369.htm
    * http://www.ct.gov/bfpe/lib/bfpe/laws...earms_2002.pdf
    [HTML version of above - http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:An__th-GdlAJ:www.ct.gov/bfpe/lib/bfpe/laws_pertaining_to_firearms_2002.pdf]
    * http://www.jud.state.ct.us/lawlib/Law/firearms.htm

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I also know of no restrictions (or it mentioned in any statutes) in OK outside of sterile areas (past security and the flight line).

Rick

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    Gary,
    Here is what I've found on Colorado. As I pointed out earlier, the Denver DIA Airport doors are posted with "no guns for good guys" signs. I don't believe the signs are ligit and here's what I have (P.S. thanks for all the great work on Handgunlaw.us!):

Colorado Revised Statutes - Public Airport Authority Law 41-3-106
    (h) To regulate, when acting singly, or by agreement, when acting jointly with any other municipality or county, the receiving, deposit, and removal and the embarkation of passengers or property to or from the airport; to regulate or prohibit any airport hazard; to exact and require charges, fees, and rentals, together with a lien to enforce the payment; to lease or assign for operation such space or area, appurtenances, appliances, or other conveniences necessary or useful in connection therewith; to own and operate aircraft; to employ pilots; to provide rules and regulations governing the use of such airport and facilities and the use of other property and means of transportation within or over said airport, landing field, and navigation facilities; to perform any duties, necessary or consistent with the regulation of air traffic; to enter into contracts or otherwise cooperate with the United States, the state, or other public or private agencies; and to exercise such powers as may be required or consistent with the promotion of aeronautics and the furtherance of commerce and navigation by air;

Colorado Revised Statutes - Limitations on local ordinances 18-12-105.6

(b) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, no municipality, county, or city and county shall have the authority to enact or enforce any ordinance or resolution that would restrict a person's ability to travel with a weapon in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance for hunting or for lawful protection of a person's or another's person or property while traveling into, through, or within, a municipal, county, or city and county jurisdiction, regardless of the number of times the person stops in a jurisdiction.

Colorado Revised Statutes - Authority granted by permit 18-12-214

(1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited in this section. A permit does not authorize the permittee to use a handgun in a manner that would violate a provision of state law. A local government does not have authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance or resolution that would conflict with any provision of this part 2.

(2) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law.
    (4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which:
    (a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building;
    (b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and
    (c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.
    (5) Nothing in this part 2 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

JSB
    I'd like clarification on this...

"Florida: Not inside the passenger terminal and sterile area 790.06 (12)"

Does this mean no carry only within the sterile (secured) areas or is carry prohibited, for example, if you were at the airport pickup areas to meet someone flying in?

North Carolina

North Carolina does not have any statutes specifically barring carry (open or concealed) in the terminals, but airports may post notice (which is legally binding in NC).

Additionally, airports that are state-owned are arguably off-limits w/o posting required to concealed carry in the buildings under
    QUOTE]14-415.11 (c) A permit does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun in the areas prohibited by G.S. 14 269.2, 14 269.3, 14 269.4, and 14 277.2, in an area prohibited by rule adopted under G.S. 120 32.1, in any area prohibited by 18 U.S.C. § 922 or any other federal law, in a law enforcement or correctional facility, in a building housing only State or federal offices, in an office of the State or federal government that is not located in a building exclusively occupied by the State or federal government, a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state owned rest areas or state owned rest stops along the highways, where notice that carrying a concealed handgun is prohibited by the posting of a conspicuous notice or statement by the person in legal possession or control of the premises. It shall be unlawful for a person, with or without a permit, to carry a concealed handgun while consuming alcohol or at any time while the person has remaining in his body any alcohol or in his blood a controlled substance previously consumed, but a person does not violate this condition if a controlled substance in his blood was lawfully obtained and taken in therapeutically appropriate amounts.[/QUOTE]

Municipalities have the right to ban open and concealed carry from their buildings by ordinance, though posting on those buildings is required. they cannot prohibit the carry in a car, or storage of firearms in the car while on the property
    § 14 409.40. Statewide uniformity of local regulation.
    (f) Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from application of their authority under G.S. 153A 129, 160A 189, 14 269, 14 269.2, 14 269.3, 14 269.4, 14 277.2, 14 415.11, 14 415.23, including prohibiting the possession of firearms in public owned buildings, on the grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks or recreation areas, except nothing in this subsection shall prohibit a person from storing a firearm within a motor vehicle while the vehicle is on these grounds or areas. Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from exercising powers provided by law in declared states of emergency under Article 36A of this Chapter.

§ 14 415.23. Statewide uniformity.
    It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S. 14 415.11(c), on local government buildings, their appurtenant premises, and parks. (1995, c. 398, s. 1.)
    An interesting note: North Carolina has no law regarding the effect of a no weapons sign for any carrying openly. the only reference to such signs exists int he lagnuage regading concealed carry only. It is assumed that anyone openly carrying past such a sign would have to be asked to leave the property, and only if they refused could they be charged with trespass.

The following airports have commercial air service

Albert J. Ellis, Jacksonville (Onslow County) - believed to be county owned, but could find no county ordiance adressing concealed carry

Asheville Regional, Asheville no info

Charlotte-Douglas Intl., Charlotte (Owned and Operated by City of Charlotte) BANNED:
    Ordinance Sec. 15-14 (B) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry, possess or have within his immediate access any dangerous weapon while in or upon any real property owned (except property owned by the city and leased to some other person or organization), leased, as lessee, or otherwise temporarily controlled by the city, whether such property is located within or outside the corporate city limits.
    Craven County Regional, New Bern (couldn't find any info)

Fayetteville Regional Airport, Fayetteville (owned and operated by the City of Fayetteville). Could not find any information

Kinston Regional Jetport, Kinston have no info

Peidmont Triad Intl., Greensboro (PTI is owned and operated by the Piedmont Triad Airport Authority. No local tax dollars are used to operate the airport.) Last time I visited the airport, there were no postings banning carry in terminal.

Pitt Greenville, Greenville (no information available)

Raleigh-Durham Intl., Raleigh is governed by the Raleigh-Durham Airport Authority, an eight-member board. The cities of Durham and Raleigh and the counties of Durham and Wake appoint two members each to the Authority board of directors. The Airport Authority is a governmental body responsible for the development, operation and maintenance of the airport. I have no info, but if Durham is involved, it is likely pushing a weapons ban

Wilmington Intl., Wilmington (owned by New Hanover County) no info

TSA Trainer - Sterile Area

As a TSA trainer, I know that any possesion of a firearm in the Checkpoint and beyond into the sterile area is restricted to LEO's and armed guards under escort by an LEO.

Naturally, in the terminal and ticket counters, firearms are permitted to some extent, as it is legal to declare you guns and transport them in checked bags. They must be unloaded in a hardsided, locked case with the ammo in a seperate box, designed for ammo. (The cardboard box in came in is ok, loaded loose mags are not) There must be a "Declaration of Firearm" in the case with the gun.

Senior Member Array Gary Slider's Avatar
    In Florida you can carry outside the the terminal building but you can't go inside the buildings. That law is there so you can lock up your firearm in your vehicle and go into the airport. Terminal means the buildings. Sterile Area means the area that you access through security and only people with tickets can get through now. Where they screen you.
    Stay Safe,
    Gary Slider

Co-Owner Handgunlaw.us

Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelHands View Post
    As a TSA trainer, I know that any possesion of a firearm in the Checkpoint and beyond into the sterile area is restricted to LEO's and armed guards under escort by an LEO.

Naturally, in the terminal and ticket counters, firearms are permitted to some extent, as it is legal to declare you guns and transport them in checked bags. They must be unloaded in a hardsided, locked case with the ammo in a seperate box, designed for ammo. (The cardboard box in came in is ok, loaded loose mags are not) There must be a "Declaration of Firearm" in the case with the gun.
    Uh...are you speaking for Memphis Airport only??

As for past the checkpoint...I think you left out a few others as well.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by JSB View Post
    I'd like clarification on this...

"Florida: Not inside the passenger terminal and sterile area 790.06 (12)"

Does this mean no carry only within the sterile (secured) areas or is carry prohibited, for example, if you were at the airport pickup areas to meet someone flying in?
    Ok heres your clarification to F.S. 790.06 (12)

www.flsenate.gov/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=& URL=Ch0790/SEC06.HTM&Title=->2008->Ch0790->Section%2006#0790.06

(12) No license issued pursuant to this section shall authorize any person to carry a concealed weapon or firearm into any place of nuisance as defined in s. 823.05; any police, sheriff, or highway patrol station; any detention facility, prison, or jail; any courthouse; any courtroom, except that nothing in this section would preclude a judge from carrying a concealed weapon or determining who will carry a concealed weapon in his or her courtroom; any polling place; any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district; any meeting of the Legislature or a committee thereof; any school, college, or professional athletic event not related to firearms; any school administration building; any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose; any elementary or secondary school facility; any career center; any college or university facility unless the licensee is a registered student, employee, or faculty member of such college or university and the weapon is a stun gun or nonlethal electric weapon or device designed solely for defensive purposes and the weapon does not fire a dart or projectile; inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport, provided that no person shall be prohibited from carrying any legal firearm into the terminal, which firearm is encased for shipment for purposes of checking such firearm as baggage to be lawfully transported on any aircraft; or any place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Any person who willfully violates any provision of this subsection commits a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

To be most clear, exact same applies in CT in regard to definition of "Sterlile Area" as referred to above by GS and SH.

This is though not by state(s) law but that those areas are under Federal protective coverage and applicable regulation(s), as are enforced by the FAA, TSA and other applicable member agencies of the Dept. of Homeland Security.
    Possession of weapons in an airport 'sterile area' can be a misdemeanor (e.g. ammunition) or even a felony (e.g. a loaded firearm on ones person).

For more info on this to the Federal side as specifically related to non-military civil (commercial) aircraft and airports see the following;

* 49 CFR 1540.111 - Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals. - Code of Federal Regulations - Title 49: Transp... - vLex
    * Civil aviation security: Prohibited items in airport sterile areas, aircraft cabins, or in passengers’ checked baggage; small sciss... - vLex

State law covers areas outside the interior of a given airports 'Sterile Area'.
    Federal law and regulations cover all areas within and inclusive to all airports 'Sterile Area'.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links