New Job Opportunities...Conceal Carry dillemma

This is a discussion on New Job Opportunities...Conceal Carry dillemma within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here's the skinny. I've been looking for work for the past month and I have put out over 30 applications...not a single phone call. Today, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Job Opportunities...Conceal Carry dillemma

Here's the skinny. I've been looking for work for the past month and I have put out over 30 applications...not a single phone call. Today, possible paydirt. I have two solid possibilities after I interviewed for both jobs, and it may come down to me making a choice. The choice will not only be for what job, but $$, and if I can conceal carry at work.

The first job is with a durable medical equipment provider, which I have years of experience with already, with a good hourly pay. The downside is that since I live in SC, the law states:
    (M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a:
    (10) hospital, medical clinic, doctor's office, or any other facility where medical services or procedures are performed unless expressly authorized by the employer.

The second job is with a manufacturing company and they are looking for an office manager who can also do their AP/AR...something else I have experience doing for 5 years. The pay is good, but not as good as the durable medical equipment. The upside is that I CAN carry there, and I don't have to seek authorization from the employer.

If I take the job with the durable medical equipment provider, when I get comfortable with the owner, I could potentially ask for the permission.

Since I have been carrying, I carry ALL the time. Even to go across the street to visit my best friend, or just sitting here in my living room typing on my laptop. I am very nervous about being without my EDC attached to my side. However, not having my pistol with me at all times is something I should get use to as I'll be entering nursing school in Fall of '09, and I won't be able to conceal carry in hospitals either.

My question is...what would you do? I'll report soon as to how it all flushes out.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

more money more toys later on...........a lot of thinking!!!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

how much $$$ is your safety worth? I'll take job #2 for the win, Alex!!!
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Take job #1. Why? Well you stated you're going to nursing school (Ive thought about it myself since my mom is a practitioner-job security too) you'll not be carrying at your next job as a nurse more than likely. So make as much as you can and as has been mentioned, buy more toys.

Just my .02
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Job #2 sounds better to me; more money for toys, and you should get used to not carrying all the time as I'd guess your nursing school probably won't allow it.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster." - Bobby Henderson, Open Letter To Kansas School Board

Quote Originally Posted by BigPoppaW View Post
    Job #2 sounds better to me; more money for toys, and you should get used to not carrying all the time as I'd guess your nursing school probably won't allow it.
    You mean job #1 which pays more money and gets him used to not carrying for his next job as a nurse.
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

Go #1. Amass as much money as you can before you become a poor student. As you said, your job as a nurse would not permit you to CC anyway. Besides, if the possibility exists that your employer will allow firearms, it's better than an outright ban.
    HK45c V1

I'm not a lawyer but my interpretation of the reg you posted gives the impression that it's ok to carry in a hospital, etc. if you are actually employed by the hospital, etc., and get permission. Looks to me that if you're working for someone in which the job requires you to visit certain facilities, your employer's permission does not over-rule the prohibition of the building owner/comany.

Just mho.

Quote Originally Posted by Biloxi Bersa View Post
    I'm not a lawyer but my interpretation of the reg you posted gives the impression that it's ok to carry in a hospital, etc. if you are actually employed by the hospital, etc., and get permission. Looks to me that if you're working for someone in which the job requires you to visit certain facilities, your employer's permission does not over-rule the prohibition of the building owner/comany.

Just mho.
    Carrying in a hospital is not exactly applauded, posted or not. And getting 'permission'? Not a chance. Yeah, yeah: 'concealed mean concealed'. I can tell you right now that leaning over a patient and accidentally revealing your sidearm or having a physician discover you with one in a patient care area will get your butt in the HR office ASAP.
    HK45c V1

VIP Member
    Personally a firearm is not my only means of personal protection so I'd go with the buckolas!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

No brainier. If you are going to get an education in the medical field, that's the field you want to be working in.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Hate to say it but just follow the money. Save up as much as you can after paying down your debts. You'll be thankful later when you hit a rainy day.

I finished my pre-requisites for the nursing program this December, spending a year going to school full time so I obviously didn't carry while at school, but I don't live far from the college so re-arming wasn't an issue after classes. So, thinking of being disarmed for 8 hours a day still doesn't seat well with me. However, I see the wisdom in the majority of your comments...go with #1 as I won't be able to carry in the hospital anyway, and there would be a chance for me to carry at the #1 job as it is a small business with permission from the owner (it isn't a hospital in which would be next to impossible to get permission from).

I have been unemployed for this past year while attending school, and the primary goal in getting employment now is to save for when I will most likely be unemployed, or working part time while attending nursing school. I can also set aside a few bucks for the XDM I've been eying. :)

I'll let you all know how it unfolds. Thanks for the opinions.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    Here's the skinny. I've been looking for work for the past month and I have put out over 30 applications...not a single phone call.
    Sejune,
    I retired the 1st of June after 26 1/2 yrs in Public Safety. I had enough of it. Been looking ever since for a full or part-time job. I've put in over 45-50 applications, but only had 2 interviews and still no job. So I'm still looking. So, way to go with yours! As far as your choices, since you're going to nursing school shortly, my vote is for #1 also. Good luck with whatever you decide. :)
    NC CCH Instructor, NRA Instructor
    NRA
    GOA
    Beretta 96 Brigadier
    Kimber Pro Eclipse II 1911
    Taurus PT1911

Distinguished Member Array XD 45's Avatar
    I would go with job number 1
    XD .45, Glock 23, Mossberg 590A, M&P 15 Rossi 641, RIA 1911

If You Want To Know The Mind Of A Man Listen To His Words

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links