Out of town new years party - hotel stay.

This is a discussion on Out of town new years party - hotel stay. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going away tonight to a New Years eve party out of town. I want to carry my gun for the time I am ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am going away tonight to a New Years eve party out of town. I want to carry my gun for the time I am not at the party. I am staying at a hotel that does not have room safes. I want to drink a little tonight, and I will not allow myself to have my gun while I have been drinking. ( I believe in following the law to the letter.) What should I do.

A. Leave my gun at home
    B. Take the gun and hide it in my room unloaded with the Glock supplied cable lock.
    C. Have the front desk lock it in their safe over night.
    D. Lock it in my glove box while at the party and driving back to hotel. Or even in the truck bed in a box we keep emergency winter cloths in.
    E. Choose not to drink tonight and be legal.
    Note: I do not drink in excess, do not drive after I have been drinking, but would like to drink a few beers while I am at a party.

What would you do.

I would choose E.
    Would much rather be armed and safe than unarmed and buzzed.
    For some strange reason I can't feel comfortable and have a good time without my weapon keeping me company.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Quote Originally Posted by Yamikaze View Post
    ( I believe in following the law to the letter.) What should I do.

What would you do.

I just seen option E. I would choose to not drink rather than be unarmed.
    They can't take your right to own a firearm. They can ask with force and you can answer any way you choose.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking I would do just that. Drinking is not all that important to me.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    If you plan on being sober enough to drive home, lock the gun in your car. It is probably safer there than in the hotel room. This is the sort of situation that makes a Center-of-Mass lockbox handy to have int he car.

If it were me and I were planning on having no more than a couple of drinks all night, I would just carry---I am well acquainted with my own alcohol tolerance and would be comfortable making that decision. If it is a private party (not at a bar or hotel or some such), then I can't imagine there would be a law against carrying while sipping a drink.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I think C is the best bet if you are sure the Hotel has one. The idea behind the law is that any kind of chemical influence may inhibit your decision making. So if you follow that logic, having it completely out of your reach is the best bet. Having it at the hotel is a little better than leaving it home.

I am just about to leave the house. I have locked my guns up in the safe. I have packed a few beers in a cooler, and have decided Cadillac is a safe town. I walked around this planet for 36 years without a gun, two more days, hopefully, wont kill me.
    Thanks for the advice guys, and I hope I'm not sorry I didn't take it.

John,

You mention wanting to be "legal". Is it illegal to consume any alcohol whatsoever while CCing in MI?

I don't drink and shoot, but I'll certainly drink (within reason) and carry. Since you're not one to overindulge, in your shoes I'd simply carry as normal and enjoy a cocktail or two. I carry to have the ability to defend myself. That concern doesn't go away for me just because I have a drink or two. As a matter of fact, in an environment where some may be drinking a little too much, my concern for my safety may actually increase.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

I am currently thinking the same issue, as this is my first new year's with a CHL. I think I might just take a hit and be the DD, but haven't decided for sure yet. In Texas I believe it's any intoxication is in violation of the license while carrying--am I wrong about this?
    CZ P-06
    Glock 23 OD with CT laser
    S&W 642

I am going away tonight to a New Years eve party out of town. I want to carry my gun for the time I am not at the party. I am staying at a hotel that does not have room safes. I want to drink a little tonight, and I will not allow myself to have my gun while I have been drinking. ( I believe in following the law to the letter.) What should I do.

A. Leave my gun at home
    B. Take the gun and hide it in my room unloaded with the Glock supplied cable lock.
    C. Have the front desk lock it in their safe over night.
    D. Lock it in my glove box while at the party and driving back to hotel. Or even in the truck bed in a box we keep emergency winter cloths in.
    E. Choose not to drink tonight and be legal.
    Note: I do not drink in excess, do not drive after I have been drinking, but would like to drink a few beers while I am at a party.

What would you do.
    Because of what you say in D, I have to choose E. If you are going to drink enough that you wouldn't feel comfortable around your gun, you darn sure shouldn't be behind the wheel of your vehicle.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

+1 on E. I don't even trust a car safe, unless it's bolted to the floor pan. The cables are too easy to cut.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

Distinguished Member
    If I know that I am going to be around drinking even if I am not drinking I will leave it at home.

I was thinking I would do just that. Drinking is not all that important to me.
    Thank you for thinking it through so methodically and arriving at a reasoned selection. And for sharing the excercise with us.

Some LAGOCs (law-abiding gun owner/carrier) wouldn't be so thorough in thinking it through.

Happy new year!

(I would choose E.)

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Option E sounds good to me...
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

I would choose E as well. But keep in mind, that people will give you a hard time and pressure to to take a drink. I've been there. Be sure that you have the fortitude to (pardon the pun) stick to yer guns!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    I would choose E.
    Would much rather be armed and safe than unarmed and buzzed.
    For some strange reason I can't feel comfortable and have a good time without my weapon keeping me company.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links