Got spotted carrying.

This is a discussion on Got spotted carrying. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got back from spending 3 days with 35 of my relatives. We all lived in a large Inn/House and had a great time ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got spotted carrying.

Got spotted carrying.

I just got back from spending 3 days with 35 of my relatives. We all lived in a large Inn/House and had a great time horsing around playing various games and spending nearly every waking moment together. Now I should add that I would classify most of them as Sheeple as nearly all are from Illinois and...well I love em but they are just not in agreement to many of my ideals.

I was carrying my M&P .45c IWB (shirt untucked 2 days and tucked the 3rd). I was carrying due to the fact that I was breathing and still under my own mental control

Well the on the last day I was rough housing with the neices and nephews on the floor and did not realize that my shirt had become partially untucked and I was "displaying". It wasn't untill my aunt pointed and asked "what is that?" that I realized what was going on. My 3 year old (the quick little tattle tale that she is) quickly answered by saying "It's daddys gun!". Now as many children her age do, she yelled this very loudly

I am not at all embarased or ashamed with my carrying BUT neither was I looking to start a discussion aimed at "why is Dan crazy and paranoid?". Thankfully even though she yelled it only about 10 people heard it and none of them knew that I was carrying the past 3 days! One of them is a LEO (detective) and two were my siblings (who know I carry (my one brother always pokes my gun and smiles when he sees me)).

After a 20 minute "discussion" I now have 3 people coming with me to the range in the next few months and they are very interested in what/why I do what I do.

Overall I was pleased with this experiance and VERY glad at how I was able to react to the exposure seeing as when I first started carrying I was nervous and may not have reacted quite so nonchallant.

Just wanted to share and ask if any of you have been exposed to your closest friends/relatives and how well did it go. Just curious...
    Pray for our nations leaders!

2. Remove Ads

Well, that went well.

I've been exposed to half my family, but that was my choice. The other half (no interaction and different parts of the country than the first half) may never know. I've more to lose than gain with them.

The only people that know I carry are the ones that I've told. So far as I know I have not been made by anyone else.

nosights - I think this turned out well. Give yourself some credit too as very much the way you acted affected the way others around you responsed. Now you have 3 family members that might wind up "crossing over".

Quote Originally Posted by nosights View Post
    Just wanted to share and ask if any of you have been exposed to your closest friends/relatives and how well did it go. Just curious...
    I've only told one friend, who I go to gun shows with, that I carry. Unavoidable.

Have never told anyone in my family. Even my go to the range buddies don't know. No need.

I would say, though, that revealing the fact by accident is generally a bad thing. Yer rollin' the dice that it'll turn out OK and yer on defense immediately.

Nobody told you "guns kill people!?" I always enjoy taking folks shooting for the first time; I start them out with a small caliber, then move them up to more powerful defensive guns.

That is good that something positive came out of this!

There is only one person that knows I carry, and that is my wife. There is just no reason for anyone else to know, period.

Max

I just got back from spending 3 days with 35 of my relatives. We all lived in a large Inn/House and had a great time horsing around playing various games and spending nearly every waking moment together. Now I should add that I would classify most of them as Sheeple as nearly all are from Illinois and...well I love em but they are just not in agreement to many of my ideals.

I was carrying my M&P .45c IWB (shirt untucked 2 days and tucked the 3rd). I was carrying due to the fact that I was breathing and still under my own mental control

Well the on the last day I was rough housing with the neices and nephews on the floor and did not realize that my shirt had become partially untucked and I was "displaying". It wasn't untill my aunt pointed and asked "what is that?" that I realized what was going on. My 3 year old (the quick little tattle tale that she is) quickly answered by saying "It's daddys gun!". Now as many children her age do, she yelled this very loudly

I am not at all embarased or ashamed with my carrying BUT neither was I looking to start a discussion aimed at "why is Dan crazy and paranoid?". Thankfully even though she yelled it only about 10 people heard it and none of them knew that I was carrying the past 3 days! One of them is a LEO (detective) and two were my siblings (who know I carry (my one brother always pokes my gun and smiles when he sees me)).

After a 20 minute "discussion" I now have 3 people coming with me to the range in the next few months and they are very interested in what/why I do what I do.

Overall I was pleased with this experiance and VERY glad at how I was able to react to the exposure seeing as when I first started carrying I was nervous and may not have reacted quite so nonchallant.

My 3 year old (the quick little tattle tale that she is) quickly answered by saying "It's daddys gun!". Now as many children her age do, she yelled this very loudly

There there i think that went quite well actually
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

Just curious as to why your 3 year old knows you CC? IMHO she doesn't need to know. Loose lips and all as she proved. The less that know, the better. Other than that, looks like it all seems to have worked out.

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    Nobody told you "guns kill people!?" I always enjoy taking folks shooting for the first time; I start them out with a small caliber, then move them up to more powerful defensive guns.
    What? Guns kill people? Oh, I see...kinda like my 3/4 ton 4x4 Quad Cab would kill someone if I intensionaly ran over a Kia.

Seriously though. I bought a Ruger Mark III for the purpose of teaching others (as well as REALLY cheap shooting for myself). Then I work them up to my 9mm then to the 45 once they are confident.

I really enjoy teaching others how to properly shoot as well as dispell the "myths" about handguns.

Funny how any of my guns have yet to go rougue and kill somebody...

Quote Originally Posted by buzzgum View Post
    Just curious as to why your 3 year old knows you CC? IMHO she doesn't need to know. Loose lips and all as she proved. The less that know, the better. Other than that, looks like it all seems to have worked out.
    My 3 year old does not know that I CC. She does however know that I have guns and what a gun is. She has been in gun stores and around guns her whole life. I look forward to the day that I can teach her how to shoot. For now I am teaching her how to respect life and things that can take that life away.

She does not know when I am carrying and to my knowledge this is the only time she has ever said anything about guns to someone else. I have taken the mystery out of them for her and it is like our refrigerator...she knows it is there (maybe not why though), yet she does not tell others about it because in her mind there is nothing special about it. I think that in this case she said something only because she thought that she knew something my aunt didn't!

My 3 year old does not know that I CC. She does however know that I have guns and what a gun is. She has been in gun stores and around guns her whole life. I look forward to the day that I can teach her how to shoot. For now I am teaching her how to respect life and things that can take that life away.

She does not know when I am carrying and to my knowledge this is the only time she has ever said anything about guns to someone else. I have taken the mystery out of them for her and it is like our refrigerator...she knows it is there (maybe not why though), yet she does not tell others about it because in her mind there is nothing special about it. I think that in this case she said something only because she thought that she knew something my aunt didn't!
    My now-6-year-old has always been very curious, and back when she was around 3 she felt my pistol on my waist (IWB under cover garment) and pulled up the shirt to see what it was. I gave her a very serious discussion, and explained to her that I carried a gun to protect us if bad guys ever try to harm us, and that she is NEVER to discuss this with anyone else. Once when she was about 5 and it was late at night in an unfamiliar part of town, she whispered to me "this looks like a place where bad guys would be. You DO have your gun, don't you?"

Regards,
    Michael

Good one glad they did not went crazy and try to question why!!
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    The only person who have a problem with me carrying is my Grandpa he 75 years old. He thinks pistols are small and weak, and I should be carrying a rifle instead. (just a little joke he made up)

Declaimer to Joke: My Grandfather is in no way shape or form an "Anti"
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    The only person who have a problem with me carrying is my Grandpa he 75 years old. He thinks pistols are small and weak, and I should be carrying a rifle instead. (just a little joke he made up)

Declaimer to Joke: My Grandfather is in no way shape or form an "Anti"
    Good for you. My grandpa who passed would be proud knowing I carry. Unfortunately my grandpa who was at the party (not preset at the time of the discussion) is a man who lives in fear and fears what he does not understand. He went through the Korean war and is still strongly against guns...any guns of any size. I grew up on a farm, he grew up in the city of Chicago...we have our differences.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links