Approved establishments

This is a discussion on Approved establishments within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello - first time poster here. Just found this site. I've had a CC permit in Va. since 96 but hardly ever utilized it. Maybe ...

Thread: Approved establishments

Approved establishments

Hello - first time poster here. Just found this site.

I've had a CC permit in Va. since 96 but hardly ever utilized it. Maybe once in a while. Now I've started to carry more often. My question is about carrying in establishments such as banks, Government offices (other than courthouse) and post secondary (colleges). I know the law says not at schools or courthouses but these other establishments could be touchy, especially in light of VT last year.

I want to be sure I don't just forget or out of ignorance get blindsided. In the course of daily business you find yourself at these places.

thanks

2. Remove Ads

Others will probably have more specific, accurate answers for you, but have you checked out Handgunlaw.us

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by 68gto View Post
    Hello - first time poster here. Just found this site.

I've had a CC permit in Va. since 96 but hardly ever utilized it. Maybe once in a while. Now I've started to carry more often. My question is about carrying in establishments such as banks, Government offices (other than courthouse) and post secondary (colleges). I know the law says not at schools or courthouses but these other establishments could be touchy, especially in light of VT last year.

I want to be sure I don't just forget or out of ignorance get blindsided. In the course of daily business you find yourself at these places.

thanks

For a quick summary, try here:

NRA-ILA ::

BTW, welcome!

Banks are legal unless posted by the owner. If posted, it is still legal to carry there, but you could be asked to leave if you're discovered to be carrying a gun. If you refuse to leave, you could be charged with trespassing, but not a gun crime.

State, County and Municipal government offices are legal for carry. Those governments are prohibited by the State's preemption law from writing their own laws prohibitting carry.

Institutes of higher learning can, if privately owned, post themselves as gunfree zones, same as banks (see above). Publicly owned colleges and universities are the same as government offices; they cannot prohibit members of the public from carrying on campus or in buildings. However, Virginia allows its public universities and colleges to set their own policies in regard to their own students, faculty and staff. Many have policies prohibiting guns, but the policies can only be enforced by the school against students (through suspension or expulsion) or employees (through termination).

Buy the inexpensive and easy to read book "The Virginia Gun Owner's Guide," sixth edition, Alan Korwin & Steve Maniscalco, Bloomfield Press. It's on sale at many gun stores and websites. It explains the law in layman's terms.

That was quick, those two links provide some great info. Thanks alot. Very much appreciated. /JR

We aim to please. Stay plugged in to gun rights activism in Virginia so you are current on these subjects. Join the NRA and the Virginia Citizens Defense League.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    One of the state universities, by law, is off-limits for concealed carry (it might be William & Mary, but I'm not sure). Other colleges are OK unless you're a student/faculty/staff.
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    Virginia State Police

There you go. From the VSP site you may link directly to the Code of Virginia. Everything else is just a copy.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

We're pretty fortunate in VA, with the exception of the idiotic restaurant prohibition, you can go just about anywhere except courthouses and schools. Unlike some other states however, if the establishment is posted "no firearms", that means no entry armed and if you do it is a violation of the terms of your permit and the law.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    One of the state universities, by law, is off-limits for concealed carry (it might be William & Mary, but I'm not sure). Other colleges are OK unless you're a student/faculty/staff.
    Actually it is VCU (VA Commonwealth University) , which would include MCV (Medical College of VA).
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Links