No "Legal" signage?

This is a discussion on No "Legal" signage? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; There is a local gun store where I live that also has an indoor range. At the entrance to the store there are large signs ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No "Legal" signage?

No "Legal" signage?

There is a local gun store where I live that also has an indoor range. At the entrance to the store there are large signs warning that you can't bring a loaded gun inside, all guns must be in locked cases, etc. etc. etc.

BUT.....there is no "No concealed weapons" symbol on the doors.. You all know the symbol/signage I'm talking about... the black handgun on a white background with the red circle/cross through on it...

Without that symbol, can they control you CC'ing in there just with the "home made" style signs they have posted?

Josh

2. Remove Ads

I'm not from N.C. so my reply is only based on a limited understanding... but I was under the impression that the law there only required conspicuousness - in other words - noticeable. Much as you've described... ?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

There's a lawyer in MO that notes these homemade signs in his book and his point is that any sign gets the point across even if not to spec. His attitude is if you want to press the issue get ready to fill a 55 gal drum with $100 bills, wheel it into his office, and he'll get to work sorting it out for you.

I'm in SC but we did cover NC issues in our CWP class. In NC the sign can be on a post it note and still be legal. In SC there are specific requirements on signs. If in doubt don't.
    Dave

VIP Member
    It is broken record time. Regardless of the law, if someone posts a no guns sign, they are communicating a message to you that they don't want guns in their establishment.

It may well be that you can go in, carry concealed, remain unnoticed, and that even if noticed you would be breaking no law if you leave on being asked; it is very state law specific.

But, there is an issue of common courtesy and respect for the wishes of the folks you do business with, visit, and so forth.

I do not carry where I am not wanted to carry, and I don't need a special sign to get the message. I may do my business elsewhere, or for very special circumstances (because it is legal to do so here) ignore an improper sign where there could be trouble (usually at a bank or credit union), but in general I go with the wishes of the owners.

I also consider it impolite to cc in a friend's home --unless the issue is discussed beforehand. I've been in the homes of people who I know have several guns in the house, are gun enthusiasts, but I still won't cc in their home as a matter of common courtesy. I do know if I asked they'd say sure, but you don't have to bring your own, we have an arsenal.

Ask the owner. If he is denying your legal right to carry I would find somewhere else to spend my money. That simple.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    There is a local gun store where I live that also has an indoor range. At the entrance to the store there are large signs warning that you can't bring a loaded gun inside, all guns must be in locked cases, etc. etc. etc.

BUT.....there is no "No concealed weapons" symbol on the doors.. You all know the symbol/signage I'm talking about... the black handgun on a white background with the red circle/cross through on it...

Without that symbol, can they control you CC'ing in there just with the "home made" style signs they have posted?

Josh

I live in the Raleigh-Durham Area so made I can help you with this one. I know the ranges I use only allow people with CHL to carry in the store. If you do not have a CHL, then you are required to check your firearm in at the range desk.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

There are a few here in Ga. were I live by Woodbine with the same thing...
    "You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

NRA Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

VIP Member
    Personally, I'd respect the owner's wishes even though all he can do is ask you to leave if he catches you breaking his rules.

I can certainly understand why he would not want any loaded weapons. Some of the people I have seen with loaded guns scare the crap out of me!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Please don't take this the wrong way guys....

I do respect the owner, and would not carry into the store because of the signs that he does have posted...

I was just wondering if when I do carry elsewhere if I need to be more mindful of ALL types of signs, and not just focus on seeing the specific NO CARRY symbol on establishments...

Josh

Being mindful of various sign sure would hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    Being mindful of various sign sure would hurt.

True true.....I just thought that was the entire reason behind them creating a universal "NO CARRY" symbol was so we wouldn't have to read every single sign posted in the world....lol

Josh

i thought the sign ram rod posted meant no beretta pistols.

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    True true.....I just thought that was the entire reason behind them creating a universal "NO CARRY" symbol was so we wouldn't have to read every single sign posted in the world....lol

Josh
    What range do you go to?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links