You are not the law, do not draw unless you are ready to pay with your life (savings)

You are not the law, do not draw unless you are ready to pay with your life (savings)

This is a discussion on You are not the law, do not draw unless you are ready to pay with your life (savings) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From a number of posts I read from various sites, I notice that people believe that they are ready to jump into any situation because ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

From a number of posts I read from various sites, I notice that people believe that they are ready to jump into any situation because they are legally carrying. While talking to a co-worker about this, he was confused about the fact as well and believed that he should help bystanders in dangerous situations if he has a weapon.

This could not be further from the fact and people should understand that you are carrying to protect yourself and your family. It is your choice to help others, but unless you know the situation thoroughly, then there may not be any issues, but otherwise, be prepared to pay for all legal issues you may face.

I only want to share this so people understand that it does cost your life to draw that weapon regardless of whether you survive or not. Don't make the mistake and lose everything you have for something that is not important to you....like your family and yourself.
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

I agree with you, and probably would only get involved if it were obvious to me who the BG was and someone's life were in imminent danger. I would do so with or without a cc.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Solidgun View Post
    From a number of posts I read from various sites, I notice that people believe that they are ready to jump into any situation because they are legally carrying. While talking to a co-worker about this, he was confused about the fact as well and believed that he should help bystanders in dangerous situations if he has a weapon.

This could not be further from the fact and people should understand that you are carrying to protect yourself and your family. It is your choice to help others, but unless you know the situation thoroughly, then there may not be any issues, but otherwise, be prepared to pay for all legal issues you may face.

I only want to share this so people understand that it does cost your life to draw that weapon regardless of whether you survive or not. Don't make the mistake and lose everything you have for something that is not important to you....like your family and yourself.

I disagree with the assumption that drawing your weapon will cost you your life no matter what. There are appropriate circumstances for the threat, or the actual use of deadly force. It's up to you to learn what those circumstances are and determine whether or when you are going to be prepared to do so.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I value other innocents' lives too and will step in to save a life, if I know that I fully understand the situation and who is the bad guy.

Interesting grammatical rant in your signature. My pet peeve is misuse of "there," "their" & "they're." They're carrying their guns back to the campsite located over there.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    Most people here aren't Gunwaving Vigilantes , and IMHO most
    don't agree with your delicate viewpoint.

There are many steps you can take to help a victim of violence
    without actually USING lethal force.

If a perpetrator objects and attacks you - then you have
    the option of armed self defense.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I think my first instinct would be to try and help someone if I saw them being attacked, by say.. a gang of thugs.. but I probably wouldn't simply because if I ended up having to fire my weapon.. the way things are today.. the guy I saved would probably sue me because my gun made his ears hurt...

People are being sued for helping people out of wrecks that are about to explode.. what do you think would happen if you actually used your firearm to save a stranger.. a sad world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsrule View Post
    Most people here aren't Gunwaving Vigilantes , and IMHO most
    don't agree with your delicate viewpoint.

There are many steps you can take to help a victim of violence
    without actually USING lethal force.

If a perpetrator objects and attacks you - then you have
    the option of armed self defense.
    Would this situation fall under plain clothe or undercover law enforcement agent? Would one fully know this situation when guns are pointed at one another? How many people that carry everyday are prepared enough to handle this situation?
    What if you have subdued a BG and someone else misjudges this situation and attacks you?
    It is not "might OF", it is "might HAVE". It is not "could OF", it is "could HAVE". Go spread the word.

I only ask you to share with us you legal credentials to practice law as you are giving a legal opinion?
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    I only ask you to share with us you legal credentials to practice law as you are giving a legal opinion?
    I just read the top post again, but no one is giving a legal opinion on these posts. Maybe you should read clearly before taking a defensive position.

When you start with "This could not be further from the fact" on any legal issue and continue to state you will lose everything you have weather you survive or not is a legal opinion...
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Had to read my post again, but I really don't see where I am giving a legal opinion. So I plead not guilty.

I see your point yet politely dissagree. First off I must say, I will NEVER draw my gun unless I know there is a very real danger to somone.

I would hope that if one of you saw MY wife, grandmother, brother, child or the like in obvious danger that you would take action. I will do the same for your loved one. ALL lives are precious in His sight and who am I to say that mine holds a higher value. If I must spend the rest of my life in prison due to my saving somone elses...then so be it. It will have been the biggest bargin of all time! If I must die defending your loved one...well my reward will be in heaven.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CTurner91 View Post
    I think my first instinct would be to try and help someone if I saw them being attacked, by say.. a gang of thugs.. but I probably wouldn't simply because if I ended up having to fire my weapon.. the way things are today.. the guy I saved would probably sue me because my gun made his ears hurt...

People are being sued for helping people out of wrecks that are about to explode.. what do you think would happen if you actually used your firearm to save a stranger.. a sad world we live in.
    It depends where you live. Many states have Good Samaritan Laws. etc... to limit civil liability. I understand your point, especially living in CA.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by rottkeeper View Post
    When you start with "This could not be further from the fact" on any legal issue and continue to state you will lose everything you have weather you survive or not is a legal opinion...
    He has not represented himself as an attorney. I think you're taking his personal opinion too far. By the standard you appear to be applying, no one could have an opinion on a legal matter without practicing law.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Rule number one in any situation that you are involved in as a legally armed citizen is to be the best witness that you can be! Period plain and simple.

I was a police officer in Southern California for 5 years, I would NEVER have gotten involved in an off duty incident, unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. My first tool is my cell phone.

I now work in Vermont for a federal agency. I drive an unmarked SUV, I have a raid jacket, body armor that is clearly marked POLICE with my agencies initials, and I have several long guns inside at my disposal. Even with all of these tools at my disposal I would probably not get into any altercations while in plain clothes.

Friendly fire does happen, as a uniformed cop you know who the other good guys are, they're wearing the same uniform. A legally armed citizen, a plain clothes cop, or even an off duty cop is just another guy with a gun.

You and only you are responsible for your safety. Being legally armed is your right, but with rights come responsibilities. I agree wholeheartedly with what solidgun posted. The ramifications of even drawing your firearm are severe. You could be charged with a felony. Before I hear the, well I got my CCW and I'm gonna protect the world rant. Realize that a felon can't vote, or hold a CCW. That is not something that I am willing to risk, unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links