Defensive Carry banner

New Hampshire Out-of-State Permit question

5K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  me 
#1 ·
Pistol and Revolver Licensing, Permits and Licensing, Support Services - Division of State Police, NH DOS

PLEASE NOTE : The State of New Hampshire will only recognize resident concealed handgun licenses from these states. Concealed handgun licenses issued by the State of New Hampshire to out-of-state residents are ONLY valid within the State of New Hampshire.
My question is then, is it pointless to get the out-of-state NH license, as my understanding is that it would ONLY give you NH? Or, am I just not understanding this right.

#6 ·
Very interesting, yet the statement goes on to confuse the issue.

"If you are a New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License holder traveling to another state and wish to carry a concealed weapon using your New Hampshire license, contact that state directly to confirm their recognition status before carrying concealed weapons there. For example, some states only recognize a license if the person is a resident of the issuing state, or if the person is 21 years of age or older. :confused:

bosco

#7 ·
From GA code of Law:

(f) On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Georgia Code Research Tool

#9 ·
While standing in the shower, I had a thought...as that is where I do my best thinking of the day :smile:

The out-of-state permit would only be good for the state of issue. It is on the OTHER states whether to recognize that permit. So, I think I answered my own questions. Does that make sense?

#10 ·
""The out-of-state permit would only be good for the state of issue. It is on the OTHER states whether to recognize that permit. So, I think I answered my own questions. Does that make sense?""

It does to me.. My New York permit is good in a few states even though N.Y. does NOT reciprocate with any other state. Go figure.

bosco

#11 ·
O.K., I'm really confused. I got my NH permit specifically to add several states to my Kansas license (it adds 7 states for $20/5yrs.) and have recommended doing this to several others. I know of a few states that only recognize a license from your home state (Kansas, Colorado, Florida, etc.) but if a state doesn't place that restriction on licenses they accept, how could a NH non-resident license have such a restriction placed on it? I just looked at my NH license and it says nothing on it about only being valid in NH. If anyone has a definitive answer on this, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it before I end up someplace I shouldn't.

Hoss

p.s. If anyone has recently received a NH non-res license, could you look and see if there's any notation on it about only being valid in NH?

#12 ·
I am waiting on mine for the states that it adds. Sent in on the 14th and figure it is delayed due to the holiday or waiting for the check to clear.

#13 ·
I just emailed HG Law (a great web site, BTW) asking about this and must give a huge thanks to Gary for responding within 12 minutes on New Year's Day!! My email and his response are below. While I realize that Gary doesn't speak for the state of NH, his response was what I was expecting. Unless the license itself had "Valid Only in New Hampshire" stamped on it, I don't see how NH would be able to keep another state from recognizing it as valid if that state recognizes any non-resident permits.

Hoss

my email:
Just wondering if your team had ever researched the statement below taken from the following page:
Pistol and Revolver Licensing, Permits and Licensing, Support Services - Division of State Police, NH DOS

PLEASE NOTE : The State of New Hampshire will only recognize resident concealed handgun licenses from these states. Concealed handgun licenses issued by the State of New Hampshire to out-of-state residents are ONLY valid within the State of New Hampshire.

I know of several people, myself included, who have obtained a NH non-resident permit to expand the states we are allowed to carry in. There is nothing on my NH non-resident license saying it is only valid in NH. Is my NH license in fact not valid in any state other than NH or is this just a CYA statement to cover situations arising in states that only recognize out of state permits if that is the permit holder's home state (Colorado, Kansas, Florida, etc.) Any information you can offer on this would be greatly appreciated.​

and Gary's response:
Randy, I have answered this question a hundred times if not more. I believe the only reason NH put this on their web site is because so many people were applying. They can't make any money on permits at $20 a piece and it is a lot of work. I think they did it to stop non residents from applying.

As for a NH Non Resident being valid in other states. The other states have stated they will honor a NH Non Resident permit except for MI, FL, SC, CO, KS and WV. THese listed states do not honor any non resident permits and only honor permits from residents of the states they do honor.

STay Safe, Gary​

#14 ·
According to handgunlaw.us, New Hampshire permits are honored in 23 states. Only 3 of those states require you to be a resident of New Hampshire. It is not up to NH to determine which state honors their permit, but the other state in question. Az, Ak, etc., all honor the permit and have no requirement that you be a resident of that state, Co., on the other hand, requires you to be a resident of the state whose permit you bear. Info is available at handgunlaw.us.

#17 ·
It is well worth it to me. You really should call NH state police and talk to them, also the state you will be carrying in. In my case I got my NH non resident permit when I was in Arkansas and had a permit there. When I moved from Arkansas , there permit was no longer any good but my NH Permit is still good!
I called them.
Anyway Louisisana Honors there Permit and I carry here for 20 bucks over 3 more years.

#18 ·
PA has a cheap non-res license ($24/year, I believe), and their turnaround time is about 2 weeks. Valid in TX for those of you who are caught up in the DPS backlog on CHL renewals.

#23 ·
Your NH Permit is valid in the states that say they will honor a NH Permit. You always have to remember that WV, MI, SC, FL, KS, CO and NH will not honor a non resident permit. FL and NH have signed an agreement but for a NH Permit to be valid in FL you must be a resident of NH. But for all other states that New Hampshire has signed with or agreed to honor their Non Resident permit is as valid as their Resident permit. Their wording is terrible on their web site and they are getting a lot of applications because they are cheap and quick.

As for Alaska, they honor all other states permits. Anyone who can legally own a firearm can carry it concealed in Alaska with no permit/License of any kind. Alaska signs agreements and agrees to honor other states permits so they will honor an Alaska permit. Yes Alaska does issue permits to its residents. They do it so their residents can carry in other states. They saw the one draw back to Vermont style carry which they have as anyone can carry but they issue a permit/license to benefit their residents. Did I just say that the government does something to help their residents carry guns in other states. Wouldn't it be nice if all the states took care of their most trustful citizens like Alaska does! Wake up Gary you are dreaming. HA HA.

#24 ·
Your out of state NH permit will be recognized in any state that will recognize and out of state NH permit such as Ga., which increases the number of states that you can carry in even tho they will not recognize the SC permit. That is one thing that makes it worth while in getting the NH permit.Go to www.usacarry.com and you can find out all off the states that will recognize the permit.:duh:

#25 ·
Heads up to all:

Current turnaround time is 7 weeks as per NHSP today when I called to check on mine due to a perceived delay. The phone message still says 3 weeks though. Must just be Christmas back log.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.