New Hampshire Out-of-State Permit question

This is a discussion on New Hampshire Out-of-State Permit question within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pistol and Revolver Licensing, Permits and Licensing, Support Services - Division of State Police, NH DOS PLEASE NOTE : The State of New Hampshire will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pistol and Revolver Licensing, Permits and Licensing, Support Services - Division of State Police, NH DOS

PLEASE NOTE : The State of New Hampshire will only recognize resident concealed handgun licenses from these states. Concealed handgun licenses issued by the State of New Hampshire to out-of-state residents are ONLY valid within the State of New Hampshire.
    My question is then, is it pointless to get the out-of-state NH license, as my understanding is that it would ONLY give you NH? Or, am I just not understanding this right.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

correct, a non resident NH LTC is only valid in NH. NH is fairly easy to get a LTC, If you are over 18yoa,have no criminal record. NH does not ditinguish between conceal carry and range carry (Like Mass)

Quote Originally Posted by MP1SG View Post
    correct, a non resident NH LTC is only valid in NH. NH is fairly easy to get a LTC, If you are over 18yoa,have no criminal record. NH does not ditinguish between conceal carry and range carry (Like Mass)
    That's interesting! The chap who taught my concealed carry class specifically stated that an out-of-state NH permit would allow me to carry in GA.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Martial Archer View Post
    That's interesting! The chap who taught my concealed carry class specifically stated that an out-of-state NH permit would allow me to carry in GA.
    That's what I thought as well!! I was told to pursue the NH permit so that it would add more states...doesn't seem to be the case.
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    That's what I thought as well!! I was told to pursue the NH permit so that it would add more states...doesn't seem to be the case.
    I believe it is indeed the case. Every source I checked since my first post in this thread indicated you're good-to-go in GA with a NH out-of-state permit. I'll definitely be doing some additional research into the matter!
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Very interesting, yet the statement goes on to confuse the issue.

"If you are a New Hampshire Pistol/Revolver License holder traveling to another state and wish to carry a concealed weapon using your New Hampshire license, contact that state directly to confirm their recognition status before carrying concealed weapons there. For example, some states only recognize a license if the person is a resident of the issuing state, or if the person is 21 years of age or older.

bosco

From GA code of Law:

(f) On and after October 1, 1996, a person licensed to carry a handgun in any state whose laws recognize and give effect within such state to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a handgun in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such license holder shall carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.

LexisNexis® Custom Solution: Georgia Code Research Tool
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

There is one form to fill out, and it costs $20 for 5 years. You many only travel there once, but it would be worth it.
    You'll rock, with a 357 Glock

While standing in the shower, I had a thought...as that is where I do my best thinking of the day

The out-of-state permit would only be good for the state of issue. It is on the OTHER states whether to recognize that permit. So, I think I answered my own questions. Does that make sense?
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

""The out-of-state permit would only be good for the state of issue. It is on the OTHER states whether to recognize that permit. So, I think I answered my own questions. Does that make sense?""

It does to me.. My New York permit is good in a few states even though N.Y. does NOT reciprocate with any other state. Go figure.

bosco

O.K., I'm really confused. I got my NH permit specifically to add several states to my Kansas license (it adds 7 states for $20/5yrs.) and have recommended doing this to several others. I know of a few states that only recognize a license from your home state (Kansas, Colorado, Florida, etc.) but if a state doesn't place that restriction on licenses they accept, how could a NH non-resident license have such a restriction placed on it? I just looked at my NH license and it says nothing on it about only being valid in NH. If anyone has a definitive answer on this, I'd sure appreciate hearing about it before I end up someplace I shouldn't.

Hoss

p.s. If anyone has recently received a NH non-res license, could you look and see if there's any notation on it about only being valid in NH?
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

me
    I am waiting on mine for the states that it adds. Sent in on the 14th and figure it is delayed due to the holiday or waiting for the check to clear.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I just emailed HG Law (a great web site, BTW) asking about this and must give a huge thanks to Gary for responding within 12 minutes on New Year's Day!! My email and his response are below. While I realize that Gary doesn't speak for the state of NH, his response was what I was expecting. Unless the license itself had "Valid Only in New Hampshire" stamped on it, I don't see how NH would be able to keep another state from recognizing it as valid if that state recognizes any non-resident permits.

Hoss

my email:
    Just wondering if your team had ever researched the statement below taken from the following page:
    Pistol and Revolver Licensing, Permits and Licensing, Support Services - Division of State Police, NH DOS

PLEASE NOTE : The State of New Hampshire will only recognize resident concealed handgun licenses from these states. Concealed handgun licenses issued by the State of New Hampshire to out-of-state residents are ONLY valid within the State of New Hampshire.

I know of several people, myself included, who have obtained a NH non-resident permit to expand the states we are allowed to carry in. There is nothing on my NH non-resident license saying it is only valid in NH. Is my NH license in fact not valid in any state other than NH or is this just a CYA statement to cover situations arising in states that only recognize out of state permits if that is the permit holder's home state (Colorado, Kansas, Florida, etc.) Any information you can offer on this would be greatly appreciated.

and Gary's response:
    Randy, I have answered this question a hundred times if not more. I believe the only reason NH put this on their web site is because so many people were applying. They can't make any money on permits at $20 a piece and it is a lot of work. I think they did it to stop non residents from applying.

As for a NH Non Resident being valid in other states. The other states have stated they will honor a NH Non Resident permit except for MI, FL, SC, CO, KS and WV. THese listed states do not honor any non resident permits and only honor permits from residents of the states they do honor.

STay Safe, Gary
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    According to handgunlaw.us, New Hampshire permits are honored in 23 states. Only 3 of those states require you to be a resident of New Hampshire. It is not up to NH to determine which state honors their permit, but the other state in question. Az, Ak, etc., all honor the permit and have no requirement that you be a resident of that state, Co., on the other hand, requires you to be a resident of the state whose permit you bear. Info is available at handgunlaw.us.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

I will have to some research as well. from My understanding if you have a NH LTC, you will have to check with other states to see if they honor the NH LTC. I think Alaska will honor a NH lic to carry. Do not quote me though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links