troubleshoot draw problem?

This is a discussion on troubleshoot draw problem? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; not sure which forum this goes under. I'd like to do more OWB carry now that winter is here, but I have a terribly slow ...

Thread: troubleshoot draw problem?

troubleshoot draw problem?

not sure which forum this goes under.

I'd like to do more OWB carry now that winter is here, but I have a terribly slow and difficult draw from this setup, with lots of holster motion. I purchased a holster and belt setup from SideGuard Holsters- the OWB slide. I have tried positioning it at all positions from 2:30-5:00 and tried drawing from these various positions. It takes a huge effort to get the gun to clear the leather, tilting my belt forward in the process. I have tried snugging my belt uncomfortably tightly, with no improvement.

To correct this, do I need
    a) to loosen the holster up with plastic bags
    b) a better belt
    c) to bend the guard to make a thumb push
    d) something else?

Thanks! Given that you have to clear your coat/vest/sweater out the way to get to the gun in this position, I feel that once my hand is on the grip, there should be as little time and motion involved in getting the gun from that position to ready-to-shoot as possible. And yes, I am signed up for a good force on force def handgun class with a professional, but it isn't for another 6 mo.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I would try loosening up the holster with plastic bags while wearing it around the house. There is a big difference between the friction of the holster on the gun when it's curved around your waist vs. sitting on a table.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    wrap your sidearm in wax paper (wax side out) and slide it in and out of the holster several times. Try next without the wax paper and see if you notice an improvement.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tellico View Post
    It takes a huge effort to get the gun to clear the leather, tilting my belt forward in the process. I have tried snugging my belt uncomfortably tightly, with no improvement.
    Are you wearing a quality gun belt? Your belt should not flex in any direction when drawing your weapon. If you are wearing a department store casual belt, I suspect this could be some of your problem. Your gun belt needs to be stiff and rigid for best access.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

I prefer Kydex for a fast draw. I wear leather for comfort. I dare say that in an emergency your draw will be not even close to how you practice. Stretch out that leather a bit, get a better belt, go kydex...or??

I can draw IWB nearly as fast as OWB and carry in my CrossBreed supertuck 90% of the time. I get the best of both worlds with leather and kydex both.
    Pray for our nations leaders!

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Sounds like holster fit. I can draw from my Milt Sparks, Tucker (Silent Thunder) OWB or IWB rigs equally well. All slick and smooth. The Sparks are leather, the Tuckers are leather lined Kydex.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Snatch and grab....leather or kydex. Jerk it up, out, and clean. If the holster is the problem, find another for your best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Snatch and grab....leather or kydex. Jerk it up, out, and clean. If the holster is the problem, find another for your best friend.
    To start, practice making contact with your firearm and establishing a firm grip; don't draw. Just practice bringing your hand toward the ribcage, clearing the cover garment and getting that firm grip. Without the grip being well established a draw is useless.

I don't know what belt you're using so do this. After getting used to getting your gunhand on the gun, take your off side hand and grab your belt across the body as near the holster as possible. Practice your draw now and grabbing your belt. Practice some more, com'on ya gotta get this right before we draw the weapon.

Now with a firm grip and hloding the belt steady (downward) PULL the weapon from the holster with force. Com'on now, with some violence! Get tha gun outta the holster, straight up! Time for more practice, and some more.

You're doing this with an empty gun right? Draw!
    Straight up pull now, the weapon clears the holster and rotate the gun, at the wrist, to point straight forward. Bring the hands together now. Push....

Hope that helps. Using the off hand to help hold the belt steady might make a better platform for your draw.
    Certified Glock Armorer

JD
    Administrator
    It takes a huge effort to get the gun to clear the leather, tilting my belt forward in the process
    OK, a couple of important questions.

What size belt slots on the holster?
    What size belt?

And when you say clear the leather by tilting, it sounds like you're saying you need to tilt the gun while drawing in order to actually have the muzzle clear the top of the holster.

A lot of good advice for making holster fit the gun better, but is the problem the gun "sticking" to the holster, it is it that you literally can't clear the holster with the gun?

TOF
    You say you want to do "More" OWB carry now that winter is here.

How do you carry in the Summer? Is it IWB, shoulder or?
    How long is the gun and is it a revolver or Auto?

If normal carry is IWB do you have problems with that method?

I find very little difference drawing from OWB vs. IWB so simply carry IWB most of the time. You will be quicker if you learn one method well and stick to it.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by H8SPVMT View Post
    To start, practice making contact with your firearm and establishing a firm grip; don't draw. Just practice bringing your hand toward the ribcage, clearing the cover garment and getting that firm grip. Without the grip being well established a draw is useless.

I don't know what belt you're using so do this. After getting used to getting your gunhand on the gun, take your off side hand and grab your belt across the body as near the holster as possible. Practice your draw now and grabbing your belt. Practice some more, com'on ya gotta get this right before we draw the weapon.

Now with a firm grip and hloding the belt steady (downward) PULL the weapon from the holster with force. Com'on now, with some violence! Get tha gun outta the holster, straight up! Time for more practice, and some more.

You're doing this with an empty gun right? Draw!
    Straight up pull now, the weapon clears the holster and rotate the gun, at the wrist, to point straight forward. Bring the hands together now. Push....

Hope that helps. Using the off hand to help hold the belt steady might make a better platform for your draw.
    Sorry, but I disagree with some of this. There absolutely should be no need to hold the belt while drawing. If there is (or if it makes a difference) either something is not fit correctly, or you need to obtain either a better belt or better holster (or better match the two to each other). And no "violence" is required, it should be smooth (firm yes, but smooth).

Kudos on the reminder to use an unloaded weapon, and on this paragraph here though, this is quite correct!
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Good quality leather take a little time to break in. I wear mine around the house when new and leave the gun in it at night. A belt and holster that is made for each other is hard to beat for every day carry.

Semper Fi

Links