To lube or not to lube, that is the question!

This is a discussion on To lube or not to lube, that is the question! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just had a friend recommend militec 1 to me the other day. I have a Kahr CW9. The barrel and rod have been polished and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To lube or not to lube, that is the question!

Just had a friend recommend militec 1 to me the other day. I have a Kahr CW9. The barrel and rod have been polished and oil will just run right off. I think the militec will work better for me. Here's more info on it. MILITEC-1 - The ONLY all-purpose synthetic metal conditioner and gun oil
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I use Lubriplate white all-purpose grease. Seems to work fine for me. But once I run through this tube I plan on making the switch to Mobil1 grease just so I don't have to go into my local gun store and hand them another nickel.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Mobile 1 motor oil. I have been using it for years, and have found nothing better. In times past I have used everything on the market, but have always come back to Mobile 1.
    I think any of the synthetic motor oils would be as good.

Best,
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Mobile 1 motor oil. I have been using it for years, and have found nothing better. In times past I have used everything on the market, but have always come back to Mobile 1.

Best,
    Jerry
    Be careful using automotive engine oils . . . they contain large amounts of detergent that will attract moisture. A synthetic racing oil or aircraft engine oil would be a better choice.

Jim
    An armed man is a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post

Best,
    Jerry
    +1. I have been using Mobile 1 for quite a while. Like Jerry M said, I haven't found anything better as well.
    IF YOU STAY READY, YOU AIN'T GOT TO GET READY

Gidion,
    Maybe it is time to replace some springs in the Khar.
    I use grease on my carry guns. Your body heat makes it disolve into the metal. Some powders leave more residue than others. I have never had a stoppage from built up residue. The 1911 should be able to be put in a mudhole and come up firing. Check out Wolf springs for the Khar.

Semper Fi

Distinguished Member Array T Bone's Avatar
    I am still a fan of Break Free CLP (nearly 30 years now), but for high friction/impact areas (rails, locking surfaces and hammer faces), I now prefer a light coating of some type of grease. Still experimenting really, I ran through a tube of Tetra and really liked it.

Currently using Wilson's Ultima Lube grease (along with their oil) both in syringes. I plan to re-use the oil syringe when empty, refilling it with CLP. The grease, I may re-use the syringe also if I can re-fill it, but would like to try some type of synthetic high temp. axle grease from an automotive store (white lithium probably). Just seems like we pay WAY too much money for a tiny tube of what should be essentially the same thing in much greater quantity.
    Regards, T Bone.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety". Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4sfed View Post
    Be careful using automotive engine oils . . . they contain large amounts of detergent that will attract moisture. A synthetic racing oil or aircraft engine oil would be a better choice.

Jim
    Thanks, Jim.
    Unless my memory fails me, however, Richard Heinie stated he uses Mobile 1 after break- in. A pretty good recommendation.

I have used about everything including mil lubricants since the 40s, and 3 in 1 machine oil. I am convinced that unless we are in some extreme climates like Alaska the concern over lubricants is very much overblown. I have never had a failure that even the most critical person could attribute to lube.

I also never found any grease that was any better than a good oil for the rails of the 1911. It just tends to cause more gunk after shooting. I clean my guns each time they are fired whether 1 or 300 rounds.

Regards,
    Jerry

I use Mobil 1 synthetic. A GLOCK armorer I am friends with uses it as well on all of his personal firearms.
    "The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. "
    Best words of wisdom from my Master Emperor Palpatine

I generally use CLP for cleaning and lubing on my Glocks. I recently received a recommendation from a person at another forum to use Hi Slip grease. He cautioned me to just put a little dab on the rail guides in the frame and leave it at that.
    I would like to know if some of you use this product. I feel a bit nervous about putting no oil at all on the rail and count only on the grease in the rail guides. Hi Slip is a great product and it goes a long way, it does not attract or catch dirt and it lasts very long...

Another vote, as a secondary, for Mobil1 synthetic.

Before being turned on to Slide Glide I'd come to settle on Mobil1, with exception toward my very tight Sig GSR which prior would only run reliably on TW25B.
    Down side though like others have mentioned it runs and attracts dust like any other wet lube, and very much unlike Slide Glide.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Wow, I wondered what everyone else did and I'm really impressed! I'm going to check out the slide glide and a few other's mentioned. I did clean that Kahr and take her back out and she never missed a beat.

I also do appreciate the advise on the recoil spring. I do have several thousand rounds if not a lot more, but I never really thought about the recoils springs.

Anyway, good input!

I will say this though...at the end of the day, there is something to be said for a revolver!

I use Break Free CLP on my M&P and clean it regularly even if I don't shoot it. I try to keep the slide lightly oiled to protect it since depending on how I am carrying it touches my skin. It needs to be re-oiled occasionally do to wearing off on the holster/my clothing.

Mobile 1 15W-50 is wonderful stuff.

I use it on all my firearms.
    "Let me guess... This isn't about the alcohol or tobacco."

After a cleaning with CLP, I put a tiny dab of white lithium grease on the rails.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links