To lube or not to lube, that is the question!

This is a discussion on To lube or not to lube, that is the question! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would like to hear some opinions on lube ( for guns!!!) In ancient times I used casey's gun oil. Then I started using (post modern ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar

Would like to hear some opinions on lube ( for guns!!!)

In ancient times I used casey's gun oil. Then I started using (post modern era) CLP. Then I started using some "pro-Gold" lube. It comes in a jar and is more like very light axle grease.

I'm wondering with my Colt New Agent .45 and my Kahr MK9 if it would be better to use one or both? I was running CLP with some of the Pro-Gold on the rails.

The Pro-Gold seems to catch more of the burnt powder and seems like it gunks up after shooting a lot. I ask this because I had my first FTF in my Kahr MK9 the other day. Only a few with some Speer's but I was SHOCKED because I've never had a malfunction with either of my kahr's after thousands of rounds of all kinds of rounds. When I took it apart it was absolutely filthy. I hadn't cleaned it in hundereds of rounds, maybe even 700+ ( my bad, I know) and I learned a lesson right there but what has your experience been?

Especially with 1911's and the kahrs?

Thanks

Gunzilla

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    I always use Breakfree w/CLP on my 1911's for lube. I dont let mine go as long as you did. I always clean my carry once per week whether I shoot it or not. I've always been very satisfied using BF w/CLP. My safe queens get FP-10, it seems to last a little longer.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Senior Moderator
    Guns need some kind of lubrication because its metal on metal. Without the lube, its just a matter of time till the metal wears. Using the proper amount of lube will cause the metal to bear on an oil film rather than the abrasive metal to metal.

As you have already found, grease tends to become filthy. It will catch and retain unburned power, burnt powder, dust, grit, carbon, everything. Eventually it will get to the point that it becomes abrasive in itself and must be changed out.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Since I don't edc my Kahr anymore I wasn't concerned about it but I am going to clean my Colt more often. I do think the grease can junk up more but for EDC I'm thinking just CLP and frequent cleanings.

Senior Moderator
    I clean my guns after I shoot them.
    Very rarely do I not, and if I dont do it right then, its not long before I do.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Lead Moderator
    I use CLP and keep my guns clean even if I have not shot them lately.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

'Slide Glide' goop + Gunzilla CLP FTW.

Brian Enos's Slide-Glide Firearm Lubricant & Gun Grease
    Gunzilla

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

sgb
    I find that when you use enough oil it tends to seep into clothing and if you use a light coating of oil it eventually dissipates.

For the last couple of decades I've been using a light film of Slick 50 wheel bearing grease to great effect.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

FWIW, I use Eezox. It cleans, lubes and protects against corrosion. It's a liquid, most of which evaporates to leave a protective coating. It doesn't accumulate grunge.

Handguns - MIL-COMM - TW25B White Grease along with Sentry Solutions TUF Cloth

Rifles and Shotguns - Sentry Solutions

Mobile 1 grease.

Jim
    A Right not exercised, is a Right lost.

Every 1k rounds fired;

1. Complete breakdown and cleaning with brush and what not

2. Compressed air with starting fluid or non residue brake cleaner to 100% remove all the solvent from all the mechanical/moving parts

3. Compressed air and Tri-Flow to put a light film of lubricant on all the mechanical/moving parts

4. Assemble (2 drops of triflow on each side of the frame rails and slide rails, rack the slide multiple times, wipe down with rag)

5. Daily, a few little drops of Tri-Flow on the frame and slide, then wipe down with my fingers (more to keep the rust off the frame and slide)

Every other week, if I am bored, and occasionally after I shoot

1. Field strip, wipe down barrel, and slide rails, inspect for deposits.

2 Tri-Flow on a rag and wipe down barrel and guide rod.

3 Return to step 4 above.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Eezox works great for my stainless, blued and parkerized pistols and rifles. I use it on my wrenches, tools etc.

bosco

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    700 rounds is alot but even that degree of residue should not cause a malfunction. Personally I think your lube is not the cause.

FWIW; I use Eezox too but I don't really trust it as the sole lube. Rails get TW25b with a drop of oil, (usually Militec), while the rest of the gun gets a normal wipedown film of oil. Any wear spot gets a bit more than a film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links